• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

When is a family tree needed for a book?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I have this Upper MG short story collection that I want to write in which the MC has a dad, sister, step-mom, and three step-siblings. Overall that's seven people under one roof. The step-mom's ex-husband is also important and the MC's dead mom is also talked about a lot.

I was in the middle of making a really cool family tree when I realized that my readers might not need a family tree.

Is there a way of knowing if a family tree is needed or not? If not what are some ways of guessing if it is needed or not.

Thanks!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think a family tree is necessary only when a reader of average intelligence couldn't keep everyone straight without one. You've got nine characters, well within a person's ability to remember if you imbue them with distinct personality traits and give the reader the occasional reminder when they haven't seen a character in a good long while.

Maryn, who learned who was who in a classroom of about 30 kids every September

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A family tree is very seldom NEEDED in a well-written story.

However, many readers will look at a family tree if it's provided. Some may appreciate the visual aid even if it's not strictly necessary.

BPhillipYork

Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BPhillipYork.com
This is maybe a bit off-topic but do people have recommendations for family tree software? Especially if you want to plan out a huge family tree?

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
If you are writing a series, a family tree is great to at least know (even if it is only written out and not developed as an actual family tree). It helps with consistency / continuity between books in series. You can do it for your character's nuclear and extended families, if you like. You can add it to a series bible, as one of the elements.

Author and Youtuber, Brittany Wang, has a basic series bible template you can consider for things to add to continuity....

https://www.authorbrittanywang.com/writingtips

Her series bible doesn't add much if you are writing science fiction (such as alien species, worlds and moons, vehicles and their weapons, melee weapons, short-range weapons, long-range weapons, and many other entries).

If your series becomes popular, fans will call you out if your details do not match up. I heard of fans getting vicious for stuff like this comparing Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts.

You can take the family tree to another level and create a "character relationship chart," but that's a whole, other level of complication. Google search what I added in quotes and click on the "Images" link at the top. You can see some schemes people tried to make these work. Too much work for me, but I can see it being useful.

Character backstory is great to draw upon conflict during the story. For example, a long, lost distant relative may come into the story and affect the MC's character arc. You may need to draw upon MC memories of this relation and what opinion he/she has of them. Family members are great ways of adding conflict to stories of MC transformation.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
This is maybe a bit off-topic but do people have recommendations for family tree software? Especially if you want to plan out a huge family tree?

I don't know of any, but I assume one can do this with online mind mapping sites. There won't be pictures, but bubbles with names and lines linking them together. You might be able to do this same thing (small scale) in Word with Smart Art.... Insert, SmartArt.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I have this Upper MG short story collection that I want to write in which the MC has a dad, sister, step-mom, and three step-siblings. Overall that's seven people under one roof. The step-mom's ex-husband is also important and the MC's dead mom is also talked about a lot.

I was in the middle of making a really cool family tree when I realized that my readers might not need a family tree.

Is there a way of knowing if a family tree is needed or not? If not what are some ways of guessing if it is needed or not.

Thanks!

This document may be of use, or maybe not. There's a PDF download link to it. It's not editable, but it can be used as a guideline.

https://www.eadeverell.com/family-journal-worksheet-wednesday/

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
A family tree is very seldom NEEDED in a well-written story.

However, many readers will look at a family tree if it's provided. Some may appreciate the visual aid even if it's not strictly necessary.

+1

Family trees are like maps: they should never be required for the reader to understand the story, but they can add a certain ambiance when done right. (And they can also be a massive time sink/procrastination device when one really should be working on actually writing. But, I digress...)

If lineage is an important theme, then go ahead and include it. The readers who like that sort of thing will enjoy it. The rest will skip over it.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know of any, but I assume one can do this with online mind mapping sites. There won't be pictures, but bubbles with names and lines linking them together. You might be able to do this same thing (small scale) in Word with Smart Art.... Insert, SmartArt.

Scapple (from the creators of Scrivener) would work for this. I'm pretty sure you can drag pictures into it, but I haven't messed with it much, so I could be mistaken. It's pretty cheap, so it could be a good option.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
+1

Family trees are like maps: they should never be required for the reader to understand the story, but they can add a certain ambiance when done right. (And they can also be a massive time sink/procrastination device when one really should be working on actually writing. But, I digress...)

If lineage is an important theme, then go ahead and include it. The readers who like that sort of thing will enjoy it. The rest will skip over it.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Maps are rarely, if ever actually needed as part of a book, despite how fixated some people get on including them. A family tree would be the same way, especially if the actual intricacies of the familial relationship are in some way relevant to the story and not easy to intrinsically track.

Given the description, those relationships most certainty aren't, but if the OP would enjoy making one, they can have fun with it.

Azdaphel

Registered
Reaction score
I think a family tree should be a tool to help you. If you have many characters and references to other deceased characters, then a family tree could help you not losing track of things. In my opinion, if you can present something as a diagram, do it.

Langadune

Harley Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The part of Kansas that doesn't look like the part
Couple things...

A few people have said the same thing, you shouldn't need a family tree, but if you want to include it, then go for it.

I use Blumind mind mapping. Its very simple, has simple layout choices and is portable (USB). I use it extensively for world-building, character notes, outlining, troubleshooting and general idea tracking. It's one of my favorite tools.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
As a reader, I NEVER look at maps or family trees or anything like that. It's the author's job to bring those things forward in their novel without a core dump. If they can't do that I don't give much credence to their work.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks!

I'm not sure about a Family Tree but if you want the book be available on paper some type of tree will be required.