Children's Book Publishing Agency / WL Children's Agency

voyagermamma62

Registered
Reaction score
Children's Book Publishing Agency

I received an email today from this company asking to read my submission. After doing some research and reading this site, I'm leary about sending in anything of mine to them.
Does anyone have a real agency that is accepting new submissions? I can't seem to find anyone that is reputable.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I received an email today from this company asking to read my submission. After doing some research and reading this site, I'm leary about sending in anything of mine to them.
Does anyone have a real agency that is accepting new submissions? I can't seem to find anyone that is reputable.

Every agent is accepting new submissions, unless the website explicitly says that they're not.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

Agentquery.com

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
There is, and has been, an ALERT up on Writer Beware for people who have had problems with Writers Literary Agency, Strategic Book Publishing, Eloquent, New York Literary Agency, S.T. Literary Agency, WL Children's Literary Agency, WL Screenplay Agency, The Literary Agency Group, Global, or any of the other Robert Fletcher owned "agencies" or "publishing companies."

Just go to www.writerbeware.com and it's right there on the front page

Gives contact info, etc.

If you have had problems, please check out this ALERT.

-Ann C. Crispin

Chair, Writer Beware

www.writerbeware.com

Mogiz

Registered
Reaction score
Careful

I had an offer from Dorrance to print my 73 page children's picture in black & white for $7600, They said that they recommended printing it in color but that would cost more. I sent them some sample illustrations so you would have thought that they would have gotten the color part. The book was fully illustrated and just needed to be printed. I politely declined there offer and looked for another avenue. After a couple of years now of investigating publishers and using every resource available, I have come to the conclusion that most of the vanity publishers must do a check on the authors financial status and assess how much they figure the can get out of you. I tried using a alias name that you could google search and find nothing on, the responses were different when applied to the same publishers. I would suggest that if your just fishing around for a vanity publisher first use an alias name, then if you find one that you think you can trust give them your real name. I have had vanity publishers send me back messages saying that they need more information on me, after having used all fictitious personal information. It seamed to really confuse them when they could not find out my financial situation.

If you feel that your book is ready to be printed or your willing to hire an independent editor and illustrator to complete your book and all you need is a printer, look at companies like Lulu. I used them and after all of the web searches, all I found about Lulu is that there honest about their costs, and they are. I spent $475 for publishing my book 73 pages of full illustrations, it was fully completed all Lulu did was print it and offer some minimal distribution, marketing and no complaints about costumer services.
I looked at it as a paying for a course to see what pod and self publishing was all about, I feel it was money well spent for the knowledge gained in the self publishing arena. If your wanting to self publish your book, which means no matter who you use , if you are paying anything at all, you are self publishing! I found that the more prepared you are to do as much as you can for your self the cheaper it gets.

You can pay a vanity publisher $5000 to $30,000 to publisher your book, or for that price you could pay an independent editor and illustrator to complete your book, publish it with a pod company like Lulu, plus take a vacation, buy a new PC or maybe even a new car. If a publisher is not paying you, then you need to be your own agent and educate yourself, that is your best protection from the sharks. This site, P&E, scbwi, writer beware and most other forums are excellent sources of information. Always remember most vanity publishers with bad ratings will present is self as the innocent victim to lure you in, then once you figure out that you are the victim its too late. Not all vanity publishers are bad, but if people post negative responses to a vanity publisher, you can rest assured that it is because they got scammed and its not willful trashing of said publisher for no good reason.

Though I walk through the Vally of publishing scammers, I shall fear not getting scammed, with P&E & writers beware as my shield and sword.

Wisdom follows us all, we just need to make sure to slow down and not be one step ahead of it.