Movies lots of people LOVE but you hate.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Let's go for the polar opposite of the other topic. What movies do people rave about but you think are.......well not good?

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
The English Patient (yes, I fell asleep), The Quiet Man, and anything with Tom Cruise.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Thing about the English Patient for me is that I found the Juliet Binoche character much more interesting and likeable. I couldn't have give two shits about what happened to the self-absorbed, whining main characters.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
ACK! I miss-spelled (well made a typo actually) the topic title. Someone fix it please.

As for me (and I know I'll probably get shot for this), Fight Club comes to mind. I purchased the special edition on DVD a few months ago but never watched it. EVERYONE I know told me it was one of the best movies ever. Now, keep in mind, I like movies like that, films that have some deeper purpose. But Fight Club just seemed clumsy. And the "big twist" at the end, maybe I'm psychic but I saw it coming. It's not like the ending of The Prestige where it totally shocked me.

Again, I like films like this. I especially love movies where there is a lot of violence but there is a purpose for said violance. But this film did nothing for me. At the end all I could think of was "Wow, THIS is what everyone was so excited about?"

Another one is Master and Commander (ok I know there actually are some others who hate this film too but many swear it's great.) It is among the slowest most boring films I've ever seen. They showed it as some sweepnig epic and all it was was Russel Crowe talking to crew members msot of the time. I fell asleep during it and that's the first time that's happened since i saw The Sphere.

And it pains me to mention this one, but Barabas. I love old sword and sandle films and the old historical/Biblical stuff but this movie was slow and pointless. It pales in comparison to Jesus of Nazareth and other films of that era on the same subject.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
American Pie - so not even funny. People assume it offends me. It does, but only by the fact that it stole a couple of hours of my life and did not make me laugh in return. I avoided that film for seven years and was peer pressured into watching it last year. I'm still angry about it.

Obviously.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. We saw most of Eyes Wide Shut and it was indeed tripe (in fact that's the nicest thing i could say about it.) Supposedly Kubrick himself was disgusted with it too according to R. Lee Ermey who claims Kubrick told him so. (although Kubrick's son denies this, but I don't see why Ermey would lie about that.)

And yes America Pie was horrid and not at all funny. And I'll openly admit that I enjoy many of those types of movies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
And yes America Pie was horrid and not at all funny. And I'll openly admit that I enjoy many of those types of movies.
Harold & Kumar Go To Whitecastle cracked me up. I wanted to hate the fact that they did a sequel, but the preview had me giggling against my will. Kal Penn is just naturally very, very funny.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Harold & Kumar Go To Whitecastle cracked me up. I wanted to hate the fact that they did a sequel, but the preview had me giggling against my will. Kal Penn is just naturally very, very funny.

Yes he is. He's been in a few episodes of House lately also. Also, I just learned this the other day, did you know "Harold" (John Cho) is going to be in the next Star Trek movie? I had no intentions of seeing it but now I just might if only to see how he does. I can't imagine him in a serious role.

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The Departed

Thought it was completely and absolutely the most boring, jumbled and pointless thing I'd seen in years. I have no clue what all the fuss was about.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Amen on The English Patient.

Moulin Rouge annoyed me to no end.

Spellbound. Heresy against Hitchcock but those Dali/Freudian dreams -- blech.

The Philadelphia Story -- could never get through more than half of it but once.

WannabeWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Master and Commander.

To a certain degree, I am also mentioning Pulp Fiction, though my issue is how many times I have to watch it to even get what the true appeal is. Even now, I consider it an OK movie.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Fargo

Lock thread.

I'm with you on Fargo. And nearly all the Coen Brothers movies. Really, Raising Arizona is the only one I'd want to watch again.

Life Is Beautiful. Hated it.

Office Space. Did I miss something?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I'll burn for this one, and I'm prepared: I dated a showgirl in Las Vegas that did nothing but scream the praises of this movie. My roomates swear up and down it's a masterpiece. AWers are always quoting it and seem to be in love with it, at least many of them. I did not hate this movie--it was okay, but nothing earth shattering. Amazingly it has reached cult status.

Princess Bride.

Ghost Rider. Help me Jebus, I could not get around the cliche of this plot/theme, nor the horrible acting.

Van Helsing (sp?) If you need special affects done, hire ILM, folks. And if you need a vampiric Romanian accent, dub in Bela's.

300--Oh. My. Gawd. This one had so much potential for an accurate portrayal of real history. What the frak did they do? They made a Clash of the Titan-esque rampage. It seems all of the movie sets were CGI. Were they EVER on location ANYWHERE? Giant trolls, over-sized mastodons and rhinos, deformed hunchbacks, STOP!

Tri

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moulin Rouge annoyed me to no end.
I got an awful case of vertigo during the opening number and had to stop watching after Nicole Kidman's first appearance.

I'll burn for this one, and I'm prepared: I dated a showgirl in Las Vegas that did nothing but scream the praises of this movie. My roomates swear up and down it's a masterpiece. AWers are always quoting it and seem to be in love with it, at least many of them. I did not hate this movie--it was okay, but nothing earth shattering. Amazingly it has reached cult status.

Princess Bride.
For the life of me, I can't figure out WHY that movie's called The Princess Bride when 98% of it is about Mandy Patinkin's (or however it's spelled) character.

I watched The Sound of Music once just to say I've finally seen it. (But I think Julie Andrews is delightful in Mary Poppins, Victor/Victoria, and the original TV production of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella.)

2001: A Space Odyssey redefined "crashing bore", and I've tried watching it three times.

Donnie Darko was a severe waste of my time.

Every time Pulp Fiction would come on cable, I'd always catch it during that @#$%ed dance contest scene. When I finally caught it from the beginning, I had to turn it off after about 20 minutes. I did. NOT. CARE. about any of the characters or what their motivations were, and the monumental use of the f-bomb every 5 seconds really turned me off.

Titanic was about a week too long. Well, it felt like it was a week too long.

Hollan

Stage name = Chainsaw Sally
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreambyday-hollan.blogspot.com
All Spiderman Movies (Am I the only one who realizes how bad they are? Really!)

Batman Begins (OMG it was so stupid! Why did they do that to Scarecrow? Why?)

Transformers (Okay, cool special effects, but lame story. I didn't see why everyone loved it so much).

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't have give two shits about what happened to the self-absorbed, whining main characters.
Yeah, I thought Brokeback Mountain was overrated too. Certainly not out-and-out bad, but waaaaay too "poor me".

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic. Titanic.