• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Write Words, Inc. / ebooksonthe.net / Cambridge Books

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Is it "resurrect old threads to praise your publisher month"? I just... It's all over the board at the moment.

Another published one of my books (I'll never know why, since it's a roman noir, and they publish almost strictly hot sex and even worse. They even sent the book to a romance book reviewer who agreed that it wasn't a romance novel, but the reveiwer liked it anyway!) They also made up an unsuitable cover and buried the book in among all the hot covers of naked people, so I don't think anyone ever saw my book. I got out of that as well.

I have to ask, why did you send your Roman Noir to an erotic romance publisher in the first place? Not to say the fact they accepted isn't odd in itself, but conisdeirng their niche what how were you expecting them to market your book, other than to their usual readers?

c.m.albrecht

Registered
Reaction score
Why did I choose that publisher?

A very astute question. I'm not as dumb as I look. Or, as the much over-used phrase goes,"had I but known"...
When the press first started, the publisher indicated an openness to "anything". I didn't quite realize what "anything" meant.
I submitted my roman noir and, being new, they accepted it. The editing process was very professional and painfully slow. By the time my book appeared (with a bland cover) I found it sandwiched among exclusively erotic covers with photographs of men and woman unashamedly cavorting à poil before my innocent eyes. You can imagine my shock and embarrassment.
I contacted my editor and she explained that "anything" really meant "anything goes" and their real thrust was erotic fiction because "that's where the money is." I couldn't argue with that sort of logic. We eventually agreed that my book has been misplaced and my rights were returned to me. We parted on friendly terms.
I tried to think about an erotic novel, but watching cartoons on the telly with great-grandchildren on my lap makes it really difficult to get into the mood.
I hope that explains my apparent lack of research in submitting my novel to the wrong publisher. Best wishes, Carl

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Closed Jan '17. (cached statement (bottom of page))