• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tate Publishing

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I'm not hiding anything, but it certainly looks as though you are.

TINSTAAFL:…….. There is no such thing as a free lunch

I'm sorry, could you explain what your reply has to do with my post? I told you my names and my publishing credits (well, the major ones; I also have small press credits--for which I was also paid--but you seem only interested in the Big Six so I gave you what you wanted). I told you exactly what you quoted, which is that I am not hiding anything. I'm being open and honest, entirely so.

You, on the other hand, are now claiming you signed a confidentiality agreement with one of the Big Six, before being offered a contract which you then refused, and you have implied that part of the reason you did not accept that offer was because they wanted the advance back if the book did not earn out (you do realize you've still never even confirmed for us that is not true, right?).

Having a book in your hand does not make you published if you paid for that book to be printed. You are printed. You do not have professional writing credits; quite frankly, I consider your publishing lecture cruises to be highly unethical. Nowhere on your difficult-to-navigate website do you mention that you paid to have your books published. In fact, you present yourself as a publishing/book marketing expert with real credentials, and charge innocent people a lot of money for your advice.

And if the sort of information you give on these very expensive cruises is along the lines of "Major publishers make you give the advance back if you don't sell enough copies", then you do aspiring writers a grave disservice by deliberately feeding them misinformation. You make them vulnerable to fraud and scams; you are morally, IMO, an accomplice to theft.

(Am I the only one having flashbacks to "She lives in Canada. You wouldn't know her"?)

Oh, and by the way...

I believe it has been proven what I said, “that publishers can and do attach strings to their offers. Read some of the posts.

Expecting the author to actually provide the manuscript that's been paid for is hardly a "string." When you paid Tate to print your book, surely you would have wanted your money back if they hadn't actually printed the books? Would you have considered that a "string attached" to the 4k you gave them? Or is it simply the deal; you paid them for a service, and you expect them to provide it. My publishers pay me for a product; if I fail to provide it they get their money back. Just like with every other financial transaction in the world. Calling it a "string" is hyperbolic at best.

Last edited:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I want to go back to something I said early on: If you understand what you're required to provide and what you'll get in return, and you go into the deal with your eyes wide open, then I don't have a problem.

It's clear from this thread that some people have had success with Tate. Others haven't. I wish all of you the best.

Now I think I'm going to bow out of this thread because it's getting really counterproductive, at least for me. People are entrenched, and there seems to be little middle ground.

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Books in store …..they do

Sometimes. Usually where authors have managed to convince the store owner. PA does that too.

Best sellers……….they do

The term "bestseller" is easy to misuse. If you pick a narrow-enough category on Amazon, in a narrow-enough timeframe, lots of books can claim to be bestsellers.

Amazon rating…………they do…….had a #2 book

See comment above.

Distributors………..they do….. Spring Arbor/ Ingram.

Ingram is a wholesaler, not a distributor.

Set and schedule book tours………….they do

From what I've read, their book tours are low-quality. Much like their bookings for the music side of their business.

Pay advances………….They do

They *sometimes* pay an advance. More often they take the author's money, which is the opposite of an advance.

Offer more than Lulu, iuniverse…………..they do

Unless you specify what you mean, this is another meaningless sweeping statement.

Offer more then e-books or POD’s………. they do

See above. Leon, if you knew more about publishing, you would know that there is a wide spectrum of e-book publishers and POD publishers out there. Saying that Tate "offers more" (more what?) doesn't further your argument.

Are they better then other publishers ……..no, they just do things differently and it depends on what you’re looking for.

That is a question every author needs to ask -- what are they looking for from a publisher. For someone who wants a publishing career, vanity publishing (such as Tate) is not the right choice.

RyanTate

Registered
Reaction score
OK, this has to be the most mean spirited website and posts I have ever seen. I have asked some of our staff to be in this forum to help answer your questions, but all I see is that a majority of the individuals here (I apologize if this doesn't include you) choose to be dream killers and attack everyone who comes here with good information. I just instructed Stacy Baker to no longer concern herself with this site. We felt it would be wonderful to provide all interested the opportunity to ask their questions directly and that you would be excited about that opportunity, but this is obviously just a site to break down any opportunity other than the normal traditional publishing option for an author. That is unfortunate, but I will no longer allow my staff to have to deal with such horrible behavior as demonstrated here. Tate Publishing is happy to answer any of your questions and please feel free to contact our office at any time (405)376-4900. Ever since we have filed our lawsuits against certain individuals and organizations in this blog and the ownership of others we have been inundated with gratitude from publishers and authors all over the country that hate and are hurt by the awful demeanor in this forum and others on this site.

Once again, this site should provide a wonderful opportunity for both publisher and author to discuss options and services, instead this is an attack site full of hate and anger. I have even personally answered questions on this site that were not anyones business, yet that wasn't enough. So, it is with a heavy heart that I give you to each other. You may continue in your attacks and hate mongering ways. What saddens me the most is the hate and anger that my comments will cause, but true colors are true colors and they have absolutely been shown on this site.

Finally, Tate Publishing has it owns blogs now that are positive and created to provide information to all concerned so they can make a joyful and educated decision to publish. That site is http://www.tatepublishing.com/blogs.php. As always, you may simply call as well, and we would love to chat with you. This site and forum is not moderated appropriately, hateful and full of deception. I am sorry, but this is the reality and we can't have a part of it.

RyanTate

Registered
Reaction score
See, you people are amazing...it literally only took you 30 seconds to start being negative! Here is my post incase you missed it earlier!

OK, this has to be the most mean spirited website and posts I have ever seen. I have asked some of our staff to be in this forum to help answer your questions, but all I see is that a majority of the individuals here (I apologize if this doesn't include you) choose to be dream killers and attack everyone who comes here with good information. I just instructed Stacy Baker to no longer concern herself with this site. We felt it would be wonderful to provide all interested the opportunity to ask their questions directly and that you would be excited about that opportunity, but this is obviously just a site to break down any opportunity other than the normal traditional publishing option for an author. That is unfortunate, but I will no longer allow my staff to have to deal with such horrible behavior as demonstrated here. Tate Publishing is happy to answer any of your questions and please feel free to contact our office at any time (405)376-4900. Ever since we have filed our lawsuits against certain individuals and organizations in this blog and the ownership of others we have been inundated with gratitude from publishers and authors all over the country that hate and are hurt by the awful demeanor in this forum and others on this site.

Once again, this site should provide a wonderful opportunity for both publisher and author to discuss options and services, instead this is an attack site full of hate and anger. I have even personally answered questions on this site that were not anyones business, yet that wasn't enough. So, it is with a heavy heart that I give you to each other. You may continue in your attacks and hate mongering ways. What saddens me the most is the hate and anger that my comments will cause, but true colors are true colors and they have absolutely been shown on this site.

Finally, Tate Publishing has it owns blogs now that are positive and created to provide information to all concerned so they can make a joyful and educated decision to publish. That site is http://www.tatepublishing.com/blogs.php. As always, you may simply call as well, and we would love to chat with you. This site and forum is not moderated appropriately, hateful and full of deception. I am sorry, but this is the reality and we can't have a part of it.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
OK, this has to be the most mean spirited website and posts I have ever seen.

If Mr Mentzer's posts bother you, put him on your ignore list.

Ever since we have filed our lawsuits against certain individuals and organizations in this blog and the ownership of others we have been inundated with gratitude from publishers and authors all over the country that hate and are hurt by the awful demeanor in this forum and others on this site.

Ah, the usual "lurkers support me in PM".

And despite all the hateful anger and angry hate that you claim is on this website, you, your personnel and your supporter just can't seem to stay away from it.

RyanTate

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that is true, I have noticed Leon has been very mean to all of you. Leon, quit trying to answer their questions and by all means don't ask them any! Shame on you!

Oh, and here is my last post if you missed it!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Mr. Tate, I think we all read the post the first time.

I'm wondering why you said on your blog that Random House asked an author for the advance back when the book in question didn't earn out? Could you explain that a little further? I'm sure my Random House editor would be very interested in hearing more details on that.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
See, you people are amazing...it literally only took you 30 seconds to start being negative! Here is my post incase you missed it earlier!

If you continue to spread this kind of hateful misinformation, the members of this board may be forced to take legal action against you. Considering that it is quite evident that it took 3 minutes rather than 30 seconds for members of the forum to start being negative, and considering that the time difference is clearly displayed on the forum, my lawyers have informed me that a libel case against you would be pretty open and shut, so I'd be a bit more careful with your use of 'literally' in the future.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Yeah, that is true, I have noticed Leon has been very mean to all of you.

I'll forgive him. He's got a thankless task on his hands, after all - trying to defend a vanity press with no way to back up his flimsy assertions and with no support from said vanity press here (other than copy-and-paste spiels).

Leon, quit trying to answer their questions

He's trying?

and by all means don't ask them any! Shame on you!

People here have answered his questions. Perhaps you should read the thread if you missed them.

Oh, and here is my last post if you missed it!

Tl;dr

Would you like to copy and paste it again? It's amusing, watching you repeat yourself again and again as if that actually means something.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Ryan,

In all seriousness, we tried to have a discussion with you. We asked lots of questions, but you consistently gave confused and vague answers in return.

And the purpose of this particular forum is to examine publishers and agentes, so that authors can make informed choices. Tate, from everything I've read here and on your site, is a vanity publisher to most of your authors. The cases where you don't charge a fee, or where you even offer an advance are rare. Of those you charge to publish, some do manage to sell enough books to get their fee back, but it's unclear how many of *those* authors had to buy their own books to meet that requirement.

If that's not right, please explain why not. (With specifics.)

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Ryan Tate,

Since we're repeating ourselves, let me repeat:

Two AW members have reported that they commented on your blog and those comments have not been approved.
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2855874&postcount=657
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2856093&postcount=658

We have been open and allowed you to have your say -- multiple times with multiple employees and satisfied customers. If you are so open and honest, why not approve those posts and respond to them on your own blog? Light of day and all that.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Mr. Tate, I think we all read the post the first time.

I'm wondering why you said on your blog that Random House asked an author for the advance back when the book in question didn't earn out? Could you explain that a little further? I'm sure my Random House editor would be very interested in hearing more details on that.

I did a little Googling, and the only reference I could find to Random House asking for a return on an advance is this one, where P. Diddy had to return $300K because he didn't finish the book.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-07-12-p-diddy-lawsuit_x.htm

Note: interestingly enough, Random House recently cancelled publication of Jewel of Medina by Sherry Jones, but I recall reading on a Q&A with her that they allowed her to keep her $100K advance because (duh) she performed her end of the deal by delivering a finished, publishable manuscript.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Frankly, the longer this goes, the worse Tate Publishing looks.

Ryan. Dude. There are quite a few Christians who have posted in this thread and who call AW our family. Your tantrum isn't helping anything in any way and you're making Christians in general look stupid. Seriously, please let that post be your last and take Leon with you and let this thread sink (see quote above).

Deleted member 42

I have searched, diligently, for any Research I university library, or any library in World Cat for a library with a copy of a book published by Tate.

I can't find a one. World Cat is a catalog of world libraries--public, private, and academic--there ought to be a few Tate books listed.

Nor can a library order Tate books through Voyager.

That's typical for a subsidy publisher, however, and Tate appears to be a typical subsidy publisher, aside from a certain less than impressive openness.

I should point out that a subsidy publisher, like Tate, is not the same as a vanity publisher; it's a small distinction, but an important one since it has to do with distribution, among other things.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
It always amuses and amazes me when asking questions of a publisher becomes "hate mongering". I've noticed that's usually because the publisher does not want to admit that the word "vanity" comes before the word "publisher." Those asking the questions become meanies and bullies because they dare ask questions.

Take a look around Mr. Tate - there are plenty of people here who have self-published and I've yet to see any author put down for that. It isn't a slam to say that self published books and/or vanity/subsidy published books don't count as legitimate writing credits. That's the way it is. I've yet to come across an agent who says otherwise. It's not a putdown, but the cold honest truth.

I'm published through a small publisher. I was paid an advance, which I've earned out. The only circumstance under which I would have had to pay back that advance would be if I didn't turn in a publishable manuscript. And this is small publisher, no doubt with tighter budgetary concerns than one of the Big 6.

I've also seen here that the only time an author is warned away from a vanity publisher is when that author is under the assumption that the vanity publisher in question is posing as a commercial publisher. There generally is no beef with vanity/subsidy publishers - as long as they don't try to mislead authors into believing they are legitimate commercial publishers.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Take a look around Mr. Tate - there are plenty of people here who have self-published and I've yet to see any author put down for that.

There's a time and a place for self-publishing. There's one for vanity publishing as well. If a writer knows exactly what he or she is getting into, and still wants to pay Tate $4000, I'll wish that writer the best.

However, if that writer is under the impression that it's normal in publishing for writers to pay publishers thousands of dollars, that some "Author Contribution" above and beyond the manuscript is required by reputable publishers, that's not good. If that writer believes that vanity- or subsidy-published books are actual publishing credits, that misinformation should be corrected. And finally, if that writer is not clear on the nature of Tate Publishing, I'll be more than happy to direct them to this thread.

I haven't been published through anyone yet. But when I am, I won't be paying the publisher for it - the publisher will be paying me and my agent for my hard work and for hers. There's no such thing as a free lunch, but why give a publisher both your manuscript and your money if you could get a publisher to pay you instead?

Leon Mentzer

Registered
Reaction score
This thread has gotton wayyyyyy out hand.......Look out! they can't shoot straight so they got the shotgun out.......

RyanTate

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I stepped into one meeting and now Tate Publishing can't sell books and hasn't answered any of your questions. Read this post, it is full of information and even sales statistics. However, it doesn't surprise me that is is all about what we can't do. Oh yeah, here is my post again if you all forgot...