• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tate Publishing

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
They HAVE to have money, they themselves can't be broke, not with the millions a year they have raked in for years and years. If they truly can't make bail then their council will be "court appointed", good luck guys (not:)

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
If only this would happen to the even bigger vanity publishers that are involved in fraud.

Mel101

Registered
Reaction score
You have to understand 'sincere' religious fraudsters. These folks honestly believe Jesus will forgive them anything. So they're always gobsmacked when secular authorities trip them on little things like fraud, extortion, and tax evasion.

Lol I am a Christian and can confirm this. It's all rather sad.

marielong

New Adult Romance Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marielongauthor.com
Wow! I am so glad to see these crooks are finally shut down!! Their main website is down: https://www.tatepublishing.com/

However, it looks like another vanity publisher is trying to pick up the pieces: http://dogearpublishing.net/landing...JK5_Rb8eTCgxm6dZYXwCdzL9x5rhIfqMlGGgKLTfD_BwE

Cut off one head, and 5 more grow in its place.

Still, Tate Publishing has been scamming authors for years. This is a big victory for authors. I personally know someone who was published with Tate. I need to let her know what's going on, because I'm sure she doesn't keep up with the news.

Now, if only Author Solutions would meet the same fate...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you sign the general release, you're probably still getting screwed in the process, anyway:
I agree to indemnify and hold harmless Tate Publishing & Enterprises, LLC and its subsidiaries, officers, executives, employees, and any such heirs they may have. I understand that termination of these agreements does not entitle me to any refund or monetary compensation whatsoever.
And if you want your files returned, there's an option to pay a $50 "processing fee for file recovery" ("How much are you gonna charge if I don't want your lousy files? $100?") No charge if you don't want anything returned; everything they have on hand will be destroyed and/or deleted.

But you can still order from them, if you honestly, truly, and really need CDs, books, or promo materials. To quote Mrs. Betty Bowers, "Glory!"

Is this even possible?
I understand that termination of these agreements does not entitle me to any refund or monetary compensation whatsoever. I understand that my obligations regarding confidentiality and dispute resolution under the contract shall continue in perpetuity.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. A friend of mine went with Tate years back. That $50 processing fee was one last scam attempt to grab money before they fled the country. He didn't pay, others did, and they got burned for it. Now my friend's trying to get in on some class-action action.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And if you want your files returned, there's an option to pay a $50 "processing fee for file recovery" ("How much are you gonna charge if I don't want your lousy files? $100?") No charge if you don't want anything returned; everything they have on hand will be destroyed and/or deleted.

PublishAmerica/America Star Books does something similar when you get your rights back. If I recall correctly, the only things PA owns (as opposed to the author) is the cover art and book layout. The text is still the author's. Cover art will be redone by the next publisher if I can find one, or done new cheaply if I self publish, and since I own the text why would I want to pay for the layout?

Take home: find out if you already own the parts you want before paying a fee to get back something you don't want or need.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Richard and Ryan Tate pleaded no contest to multiple charges Wednesday to charges including 44 counts involving embezzlement, attempted extortion, extortion, conspiracy and racketeering.

Both men were sentenced to consecutive, 10-year suspended terms on two of the felony charges, concurrent five-year suspended terms on the remaining felonies and concurrent yearlong suspended terms on the misdemeanors.

Each will be on probation the next 20 years and must meet prescribed conduct standards and report monthly to the attorney general. They also must reimburse the victims of their scam.

https://newsok.com/article/5618137/...spended-terms-but-ordered-to-make-restitution

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The things Tate did trying to get this thread shut down. You'd be amazed. Or maybe not, since they tried the same tactics pretty frequently.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Suspended? I mean, guilty is nice, but I'd have liked to see time served.

And I absolutely believe Tate would try to shut down sites spewing, you know, the truth about their operation.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Can you elaborate? I wonder if they've tried going after Writer Beware.

They did: Victoria Strauss via Twitter:

...and they threatened us with lawsuits (never filed) and repeatedly demanded we back down. They also offered to bribe us with all-expense-paid trips to Oklahoma to view their operation, as well as the "opportunity" to submit our manuscripts to Tate for publication (no fees!).

There's a Tate Spokesthing in thread. It gives you a good idea.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And the restitution amount owed is high enough where they'll be paying it back for the rest of their lives and the threat of jail time hangs over their heads.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After I mentioned here with dismay that my 15 year old nephew signed with Tate, they (based on the location in my info) deduced who he was and harassed him and his mother, threatening to cancel the contract. It was a pretty harmless post, but that's who they were dealing with.

Wow, I had forgotten the follow-up post, after I learned they'd harassed them.

The continuation of the story is they did sign with Tate, even having parking lot bake sales (one of which was shut down because they didn't have a permit) to raise the money. It was a quite competent book, especially for a first effort (as I mentioned an agent had requested pages). Last I heard (his aunt and I divorced and we've lost touch) he's self published two more in the series. He was unsurprisingly disappointed in Tate and self-pubbed, and was happier with the self-pub results.

Last edited: