I have a question - Dragon character arcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.R.Agony

Banned
Reaction score
Okay so I was reading stuff here (it's so coool! but theres so much of it how do you all read all of it???) and somebody said your characters have to change in the book.

Why do characters have to change? My Dragons are just what they should be right from the start, plus their old and old folks dont change!! do they have to change anyway???

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
Dragons should change their scales once in a while. Like we change our socks, or shoes or undies. If things didn't change, it would smell bad. i.e. the book would stink.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Dragons should change their scales once in a while. Like we change our socks, or shoes or undies. If things didn't change, it would smell bad. i.e. the book would stink.

Well, he did say the dragons were old. Maybe they all live in a dragons' retirement home and aren't able to change themselves and need attendants to help change them?

D.R.Agony

Banned
Reaction score
lolol no there old but powerful you know? They breath fire and kill people or keep them as pets lol

But maybe they get to change there diet, after all, if they eat evryone in one village they have to find other food!!!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Have you ever seen the size of a dragon's poop? That's why dragon hunting is an honored profession, so the scaly old farts don't make it to the retirement home (aka "Dragon Heaven").

-Derek

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I heard JJ has to stand by with a shovel if he wants to be included in Old Grunter's will.

-Derek

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I dont see how that has anything to do with writing!
This is a WRITING post, can we stick to the topic????

We all write for money here. Those who tell you otherwise are kidding themselves. There's a tip for you to put in the glory box, junior.

JJ

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Why do characters have to change?

Usually it is expected that the events happening in the story will change the main character. A young girl falling through a time warp and having to fight her way out against dreadful odds must change her character. In my book, from being somewhat quiet and easily bullied by her twin brother - oh brother! did she change.

The bad wolf changed in Little Red Riding Hood - he lost his head. We should see a change in LRRH. She should realise she shouldn't wander through the woods alone.

At the end of Goldilocks it should be shown she realises she was guilty of break and enter, theft and willful destruction of property.

But, yes. It is usually thought the action in a book will show in the character development of the MC.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Or a ninja dragon.

*All ideas expressed in this post are hereby copyrighted and can never be re-produced by anyone other than JJ Cooper and Dan Brown. Dated 01 April 2008*

JJ

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Character change is one of the best ways to construct a dynamic story, but it's not the only way.

Another way to drive a character to act is to threaten the character's self-definition. Sometimes the character's self-definition extends to a world-definition. For example, a dragon's self-definition could be I am powerful and I eat people. Viewing his world through the lense of this self-definition, he might say Power makes right. Therefore, dragons rule the world and have a right to eat people.

If all you do is describe dragons going around flexing their muscles and eating people, you have no story. But throw in a force opposing the dragons and threatening their supremacy. Now the dragons must either defeat the opposing force, preserving their self-definition, or, failing that, they must adapt to the new circumstances. If they do adapt, they will change their self-definitions, which is, voila, character change. Change does tend to sneak in there. ;)

If they don't adapt and don't change their self-definition, they eventually destroy themselves, perhaps physically, certainly spiritually.

Failure to change in the face of circumstances is the hallmark of tragedy, high and low.

Status
Not open for further replies.