Whats with storys with Dragons in them anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately, publishers are going to keep putting dragons on the covers (even when the book rises above the fray) because it sells better.
Doubtless you're right, Anne (hi Anne!). But equally, bare breasts would probably sell more books too - yet publishers manage to exercise good taste on this. Err.. sometimes. It's the authors and publishers who get to choose what goes on the cover; I just get to choose whether I buy 'em.

I'm allergic to Fantasy covers with girls in cloaks, unicorns and rampant swords too... Call it an idiosyncrasy but such cynical limbic brain cover-marketing puts me off.

(Actually, not entirely. I'll still buy pulp fiction - when I can find it - because of their kitsch covers.)
What about authors who use "dragon" as a metaphor in titles when there are no dragons in the book? For example, Holly Lisle's Vengeance of Dragons (I think that was the title).
Well, from my perspective as a reader - Heaven help them... they'd better have a good reputation. Which Holly fortunately does. For instance I read Thomas Harris' Red Dragon and while there's dragon imagery in that there's sure as heck no dragon characters.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
There are some great sites online, and if you go to the library you can find stories of some of the legends. Do a bit of googling "eastern dragon" and "chinese dragon" and "japanese dragon" to start.

Must resist urge to shamelessly self promote...

Anyway, if he meant fiction, 'The Dragon Paths' (Frena Bloomfield) is an interesting read. Though the dragons don't come into it until later. They're more your Eastern chaotic-could-destroy-the-world-but-don't type.

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
What really squicks me is that Jaxom (modeled on her son!) had... uh, dealings... that were semiconsensual at best :Wha:
Oh. Didn't remember that. Yeah, that's uh... Hmm. I'm assuming it's a case of her letting the character do what she felt he had to do in the story despite who he was modeled on.

In all seriousness, if I modeled a character after somebody I know in real life, especially somebody I like, such as a family member, I'd have a hell of a time ever letting them do anything reprehensible. So no models for me.

And... uh... I may have inserted a tribute to a particular friend in there...

>.>
<.<

*runs away*

Hehe.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.