• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Agents charging Fees

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
A good agent is a blessing.

A bad agent is a curse.

There may be a middle ground; I've not found it. Yes, you can do without an agent, but a good agent has close personal relationships with editors and knows what they like and can call them up and get your ms. put in the editor's own hands.

A good agent knows what your book will fetch as an advance, and has an idea of the potential future sales and rights worth in terms of money in your hands.

A good agent will sell your book while you write another one.

A good agent is like a top-notch defensive goalie, and protects you from the hockey puck of fate, so that you can go on writing.

Well said and so very true :)

sandybeach

Registered
Reaction score
I have an offer of representation from an agent. I've read all of your advice and the agent has been answering all of my questions. The agent seems reputable, but still new. My only concern is that the agent wants to charge me a small "deposit" against commission. The contract states "this deposit will be repaid from the Literary Agent's commissions or upon time of termination of this contract less any amount already refunded." I did confront the agent about my unease of the deposit, and the agent said that some agents charge a deposit and some don't. The deposit would be made via Paypal. Should I be concerned? Thank u for your help.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I have an offer of representation from an agent. I've read all of your advice and the agent has been answering all of my questions. The agent seems reputable, but still new. My only concern is that the agent wants to charge me a small "deposit" against commission. The contract states "this deposit will be repaid from the Literary Agent's commissions or upon time of termination of this contract less any amount already refunded." I did confront the agent about my unease of the deposit, and the agent said that some agents charge a deposit and some don't. The deposit would be made via Paypal. Should I be concerned? Thank u for your help.

That's weird. I'd contact Victoria Strauss at Writer Beware: http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/

You can ask her what she thinks.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
That doesn't sound good to me either. If you like you could send me the agent's name by private message, in confidence of course, and if I know the agent I'll let you know what I think of them.

Other checks you can do yourself: does this agent represent writers you've heard of, who are successful in their fields? Have they made multiple verifiable sales to major publishers? Do they have a lot of good experience working in publishing (and here I mean in trade publishing, working for successful print publishers, reputable agencies?)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com

No.

This screams "red flag" to me.

The fact that you have to PAY the agent in advance of any sales is ridiculous. What if your book doesn't sell blockbusters out of the gate or takes months to gain momentum? Whatever amount you've got to pre-pay is going to stay there or do you have to keep "topping it off"?

No. Just... no. You can do better and your book and writing skills deserve better.

No.

sandybeach

Registered
Reaction score
They've been an agent for only a year and have had their agency for the same amount of time. The agent has made sales and reported that 2/3 of all of their clients books have been sold. The agent did list some reputable publishers, but there's no way to verify this. Of the client's listed on the agency's site, the links go to Amazon and the publisher is listed as CreateSpace or some other self-published press. I did question the agent about this and their reply was that the agency is still new and in the process of signing with large and small publishers and named a few reputable ones. The agent agree that it did not make sense to have me "self-publish" with their agency.

In terms of qualifications, the agent has been a writer/editor/book critic for several decades in what appears to be prominent presses/magazines/newspapers.

for
When you say, "...but still new" does that mean "yet to make their first sale"?

What qualifications, other than "willing to represent me," does this agent have?

- - - Updated - - -

That's exactly my concern. It doesn't seem like the agent is trying to scam me. Maybe the agent is just new and naïve?
No.

This screams "red flag" to me.

The fact that you have to PAY the agent in advance of any sales is ridiculous. What if your book doesn't sell blockbusters out of the gate or takes months to gain momentum? Whatever amount you've got to pre-pay is going to stay there or do you have to keep "topping it off"?

No. Just... no. You can do better and your book and writing skills deserve better.

No.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The agent did list some reputable publishers, but there's no way to verify this.

Do you have access to Publisher's Marketplace? If you do, then you can check for reported sales.

That's exactly my concern. It doesn't seem like the agent is trying to scam me. Maybe the agent is just new and naïve?

What are the policies of other agents in the agency?

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I have a publisher's marketplace account and can look up this info, if you want.

PM me the agent's name and I'll do it.

I signed with a newer agent (back when I signed). BUT she was at a very established agency and had been an agent's assistant for a number of years before that.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've checked the agent out. Doesn't look good to me. I'd move on. I hope you find someone better next time!

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
It doesn't seem like the agent is trying to scam me. Maybe the agent is just new and naïve?

No.
I wouldn't buy into that one - I've NEVER heard about having to make a deposit or any sort of pre-paid arrangement with an agent in order to get them to sign you. And it makes no sense, when you think about it - how much money are you going to give them in advance of sales? Ten dollars? A hundred? A thousand? And when do they take it - when they expect royalties to come out? When the book's released, the one they haven't even sold yet?

They may not be intentionally scamming you - it might be another one of these "I've got a way to re-invent the wheel!" but it's not a good idea, IMO. It complicates things and, frankly, smells to high heaven. What's to stop them from taking the money at any time?

No.

sandybeach

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I've decided that I won't be signing. This agent seems very fishy.

Anne_B

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody have any information on which agency is being referenced in this post on today's QueryTracker blog? https://querytracker.blogspot.com/2017/01/when-your-agent-wants-to-charge-you-fee.html

edited to add: This is an unnamed legitimate agent at a legitimate agency. The agency has apparently changed the terms of its agreement with authors and now said to be charging $250/year to rep an author and charging "a $500.00 cancellation fee should the author terminate the contract."[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know who that agency is. But I wouldn't describe them as a legitimate agency with that clause in their contract.

Singcali

Registered
Reaction score
My agent did not charge for reading my book either.
This thread is very informative.

Thanks
Caroline J Thibeaux

Old Editor

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Don't Give Anybody Any Money

What's the problem with agents charging fees?

I would be glad to pay an agent a (reasonable, affordable) fee if he gets my book published!

There is no reason to pay an agent any money. Their costs are minimal and even boutique agencies make enough in royaly percentages to cover those costs. Always remember and never forget: Money flows TO the author, not away.--OE

Morgan Skanderbeg

Registered
Reaction score
There are no agents in Australia who will consider fantasy writing.

That being said, there is one agent who will take it anyway and, for $8,000, will publish it himself.

I'm not sure if that is a scam or not.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely a scam.

You don't need to have an agent who lives in the same country as you--there are plenty of agents in the UK and USA who take on clients from all over the world.