Declining to post in the "Other" thread

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Jewish writer, and a writer who sometimes publishes in the Jewish press. While I'd love to connect with other Jewish writers, I'm not going to post on threads where the non-Christian and non-Pagans are relegated to "other" status.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
I'm a writer who is also Jewish, too. What exactly are refering to? Did someone in the Christian thread actually call writers of things Jewish "other"?

It's so funny that you started this thread because just yesterday, I was wondering how communication between writers interested in topics about Judaism and the Jewish culture, etc., might be able to communicate in an appropriate way in AW, and without excluding anyone who wanted to contribute to the topic.

Do others have suggestions?

Anyone have knowledge/ideas to share, please do!

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I'm referring to the fact that there's a Christian board, a Pagan board and an "other" board.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
Send a PM to Jenna or a moderator. Certainly a Jewish forum can be arranged. I think the feeling was that they didn't know if there was enough interest to support a Jewish forum. They did know that there were Christians and Pagans who wanted their own forums.

I know I requested a Christian one a long time ago. As others expressed interest, it was established.

Make your wants known. It'll happen. If there are Muslim writers who want a forum for their specific needs, it will happen as well. Okay. I shouldn't speak for the moderators, but I know they didn't mean to offend or lump everyone together.

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
Islam is also relegated to "Other" as is Buddhism, Hinduism, and countless others. Odd, really, that such major religions are being shunted into one big lump.

Torin

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
Torin said:
Islam is also relegated to "Other" as is Buddhism, Hinduism, and countless others. Odd, really, that such major religions are being shunted into one big lump.

Torin

I don't think its that we're being "shunted", its just a simple case of the amount of interest. Not in the religions, per se, but in the number of writers of those religions who are interested in havcing their own section. If more Muslims, or Buddhists, or Jews, or Hindu made the request for a special section, I seriously doubt Jenna would have a problem with it.

But if it's not going to get any activity, what's the point? All it's doing is taking up bandwidth and not serving any purpose.

Not trying to make anyone mad, but I think complaining about the lack, rather than actually talking to Jenna about it is a case of taking something personally, that -isn't- a personal slight.

And before y'all flame me for not understanding...I happen to be one of those relegated to the "other" section. I'm Buddhist.

Deleted member 42

Honestly, ask Jenna. She's perfectly reasonable. I suspect she wanted to find out how much interest/participation there would be. It's a drag to have an empty forum (and potentally expensive) but if there are active folk who want one, y'all should talk to her.

She did ask what people thought would be used, and she had to go with the responses she got.

Contact her.

boots

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lookingland.com
i'm sure no offense was intended ~ i had the same sort of reaction upon seeing the choices, but i'm sure it's not a "slight" so much as an "uncertain what to include" sort of issue.

p.s. hi torin ~ !

:)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Religious titles are something I've struggled to ever understand. There is as much interconnectedness between the various religions as there are differences.

When religious titles create frustration, resentment and negativity of any kind, for any reason, I must reiterate that religious titles are something I've struggled to ever understand.

My saying this does not mean I lack particular beliefs but rather that I am secure enough in them not to be offended by labels.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
After reading my own post a second time I realize it seems to come off as being self-righteous. My intent was to offer some food for thought. Often when I write, I am addressing myself as well as anyone who reads my comments. It is also through writing that I gain better understanding of myself.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think it could be a great place for networking though. A thread for various spritualities -- and those that attracted a lot of posts could graduate to full forum status.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't take this as a slight of any kind from looking at Jenna's criteria for starting boards, and sub-classifications.

I seem to remember Jenna specifically saying she would create a classification for "any" religious perspective as long as there were enough people interested in carrying on a discussion to have their own board. And from the looks of things, I agree there is most certainly going to be enough interest in a Jewish board, and down the road, Muslin, and probably "Hindu"...etc.

The reasoning, "In my estimation", is that when you have so many religions, unless you included them all "Which is impossible", any could feel slighted. However, if you are basing the choice to have a separate board, on the basis of "Interest", then you aren't intentionally, or unintentionally slighting any group. I'm not Jewish, but honestly, I think I'd enjoy viewing a Jewish board myself, and if Jenna sees these posts (It's probably best to PM her with your request) then you already have my vote.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Gehanna said:
Religious titles are something I've struggled to ever understand. There is as much interconnectedness between the various religions as there are differences.

When religious titles create frustration, resentment and negativity of any kind, for any reason, I must reiterate that religious titles are something I've struggled to ever understand.

My saying this does not mean I lack particular beliefs but rather that I am secure enough in them not to be offended by labels.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Even with your clarification below, I'm still confused about your point.

These boards are designed for peopel with specialized interests.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I think the feeling was that they didn't know if there was enough interest to support a Jewish forum. They did know that there were Christians and Pagans who wanted their own forums.
Just for the record--There were multiple requests for a Christian forum, and then requests for a Pagan or Neopagan forum.

No one else said much one way or the other, so those of us doing the discussing thought that at least adding "other" as an option was preferable to simply relegating the religious/spiritual board to an either Christian/or Pagan false duology--which would have been much more offensive than "other," at least in my mind.

Jenna did say that if there were at two individuals interested in seeing a "Jewish" or other specific board, she'd happily add them.

Absolutely no slight to anyone's faith was intended.

Last edited:

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
This was discussed previously as Mac alluded to. I was one of those in favour of the creation of an "Other" board.

Remember that the Cooler is about writing. It's not a general discussion board, or a religious board or a politcial board. I think the primary criterion for establishing separate boards is the number of markets associated with that specific field of interest. There are a lot of Christian markets and writers writing for those markets. There are a lot of New-age-type markets, hence the creation of a Pagan board.

I do know there are Jewish-specific publications and obviously Jewish writers. Ditto with Muslim and others, but how many, and are there enough to warrant the creation of multiply-specific boards? I didn't think so and voted for "Other." I hoped it wouldn't be taken as a slight.

I sometimes write for Outdoor publications but there is no specifc board for that. Nor is there one for Women's, Gay, or African American publications.

The Cooler is huge now and difficult, even unwieldily to navigate for many. I love this new board but I find that my "sweeps" which used to average a half-hour or so, can now easily eat two or more hours out of my day.

Why not create a Jewish market thread within "Other?" Or a Muslim one?

You can't please all of the people all of the time and if we try, I think it likely we'll end up with an unmanageable mess.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
You know, speaking of creating threads on different things in the "Other" subforum, if you don't like that, you can also/still post threads under the main Religion/Spirituality heading. Just like the AW Idol board where the Judges room is at the top of the page and all the other threads are under that.

Just a suggestion. It could work. :)

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, there's a new Jewish Forum under the Religion Heading.

Check it out :)