• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Message board virus

KivrinAngel

I know this isn't the normal thing posted as a "beware" but since it hit on a writing-related message board, I figured I'd be safe rather than sorry.

There's a scare on one of the message boards I belong to on Yahoo about a virus right now. A message was sent through the e-mail loop as if it came from a prominent member. It even had her signature with a link to her website included at the end. It said simply: This is one of the funniest and truest articles I've seen in a while. And gave a link to a site.

Two days later, the woman who supposedly sent the message posted a warning that she did NOT send it. The attachment contained a virus that, unfortunately, caught many of the board's members in its trap. I was very fortunate to still have the message in new mail, unopened, because I didn't have time to read it when it arrived, but wanted to do so later.

I don't know if it was just a coincidence that the board targetted was a writing-related board, or if the threat is only contained in Yahoo. Even if this board is safe, I'm assuming many of its visiters may also use other types of message boards. For the time being, be very careful not to open any links, even if you know the person who sent it. If you are sending a link, I suggest putting something personal in the body of the text, or creating a code word, to let people know that you really sent it.

I hope no one has fallen into this trap already and that this post will help keeps us all safe. I know many of the members of the board that was hit are devestated by the results.

Robin

absolutewrite

Thanks, Robin! It's a good reminder for us all. I know that many, many times, the @absolutewrite.com e-mail addresses have been "spoofed" (i.e., it's not me sending the messages). So frustrating.

bentbrains

Yes, this is a dangerous fact that we have the misfortune of dealing with in todays medium. :teeth I think it is a good thing you posted this message because we are writers and our work is kept on our computers:heart it would be a shame for someone to mess things up just because the want to be maen:cry

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
These days you'd have to be nuts in the head to connect to the Internet without a good anti-virus program, a good anti-spyware program, and a good firewall.

That, plus a healthy skepticism.

Never open an attachment in email, even if it seems to come from someone you know, unless you're expecting it. Never click on a link in an email, even (especially!) if it seems to come from your bank.

Change your passwords frequently.

If you're running with Microsoft Internet Explorer, go to Trend Micro and use their free on-line virus scanner: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Do it now. I'll wait.