Thread of the Living Dead (Shemp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.S. Blue

Registered
Reaction score
Hate to end the "fun" before it starts....

...but it's all a bunch of garbage. Very bad tasting garbage.

Why give him any more press?
Very sad only in that he's pulled a "prank" of the worst type.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
the real joeshmoe said:
...but it's all a bunch of garbage. Very bad tasting garbage.

Why give him any more press?
Very sad only in that he's pulled a "prank" of the worst type.

It's not fun, it's boring. And since it is in bad taste (on the part of Shemp), it's been moved HERE.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Joe, I agree with you, but people are going to want to talk about this. I recognize that, so I'd rather not give him more attention on the main thread where important issues are being discussed. That said, I'm copying Alphabeter's posts here:

Originally Posted by Sheryl Nantus
as far as online scams go - I was once a member of a community who had someone who was, to say the least, mentally ill.

they announced that they had cancer and went through months of online sympathy cards, etc.; detailing treatments and so forth. In the end her "sister" posted that she had passed away and a wave of mourning began...

... until someone who actually lived in the area discovered she was alive and well and darned healthy for a dead person..

I happened to be around for if not the first, than one of the more infamous of these hoaxes-Kaycee Nicole.

It started with a daughter pretending to be a sick girl with cancer online. When she got bored, the mother took over. KN had a whole "community" behind her. Some gave her small financial gifts (like website space), other gave her medical support. [No gift was big enough to prosecute for fraud alas. The FBI did look into it.] Pictures were posted, details revealed and a whole life concocted. Even George Clooney had called to offer some help.

At this point, a year had gone by and the mother got bored so she killed KN off. After some postings on KN's diary, people got suspicious about the circumstances. I won't post what they obviously did wrong but it was easy (in hindsight) to find out not only did KN not die as "reported" but that she had never existed.

The whole community split over the revelation of the hoax. A few of the more ardent ones went after the poor girl who unbeknowst to her had her pictures used as "Kaycee's".

What I'm afraid will happen is CBM will come back claiming someone pretending to be his wife emailed everyone while they were on Easter vacation. That killing him off was a way to get his password deleted and shut him up. [I'm buring this a bit in this post so its not obvious] And he'll tell everyone he was sorry it happened, but he's back and alive and isn't PA wonderful for deleting all the lies?

You can find out more about the KN story by searching for Kaycee Nicole on google, but the easiest link is from the Museum of Hoaxes.

I'm going to catch up and keep posting, so my apologies for the multiple posts and possible doubled information as I'm posting as I read (bad idea?).

Writing is a lot like sex.
At first you do it because you like it. Then you find yourself doing it for a few close friends and people you like. But if you're any good at all...you end up doing it for money.
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/font]
user_online.gif
Alphabeter
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Alphabeter
Send email to Alphabeter
Find More Posts by Alphabeter
Add Alphabeter to Your Buddy List

post_new.gif
Today, 08:45 PM #13006 Alphabeter vbmenu_register("postmenu_134289", true);
Player of the Letters

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by reph
Sorry, Ed, I have to say this. Posting the real name of somebody who uses a pseudonym is a serious violation of Netiquette – I'd even call it Nethics – unless it's easily available already or the person said you could. People have many reasons for wanting privacy. I believe we ought to respect that.

This also goes for the posts that quoted that part of Ed's post.

It's also possible that this is a hoax and HB had nothing to do with it.

I would agree with you reph especially considering PA did it to one of the AW regulars who left their fold and was quoted in the AP (or was it the Washington Post?) article.

However, CBM has claimed repeatedly HBM is his real name even giving names for those initials. In order for us to determine if he is, in fact, dead, we need his real information. We can always edit it later when the true state of life is confirmed.

Should it prove to be a hoax, there is no way CBM didn't know about this, he is simply not that type of person to let someone else have all the "fun". He has already done this once and claimed it was another. I'll wager he thought no one would remember last year. I'll go further and say if PA is still around next year, he might even try it again!

Now that we have some real sleuths on the case, I'm going to concentrate on some real knee-capping of PA--the convention.

Writing is a lot like sex.
At first you do it because you like it. Then you find yourself doing it for a few close friends and people you like. But if you're any good at all...you end up doing it for money.

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth: The threads are rapidly disappearing on the other site. The only one on this topic remaining is the "Message from Mrs." one.

Mo

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Wow, Jim, are both those pages already really gone???

edited to add: Yup--they really already are...

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
okay, you know what? There is something just plain CREEPY about the degree of reality-bending, censorship, and selective editing that happens over there.

It's like newspeak.

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
Birol said:
Could be because the descriptions of an aneurysm weren't quite accurate...

Why would they get that right when they haven't gotten anything else right?

My personal take is that it was engineered by the evil triad as a smokescreen.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
okay, you know what? There is something just plain CREEPY about the degree of reality-bending, censorship, and selective editing that happens over there.

It's like newspeak.

Even more creepy is that those who suport PA just accept it.

SPOOKY

Shawn:Ssh:

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if he is dead, but I have been involved when others, in other online communities tried to fake their own deaths to get out of things that their big mouths got them into.

*shrug*

In any case, I did not know the man. If it is true, condolences to the family.

In the interest of injecting a bit of levity I did find this, posted by some lady in a peignoir on the PA boards, which sort of sparked my interest...

QUOTE:
"I agree...I need proof! I just got home from delivering my kids and got Jean Maries message. I went immediately to the boards... I am balling my eyes out!..."

I... uhm... oh. OH!

Nevermind.

-Jeff

Edit: Spelling. I should know better than to post when I should be sleeping.

Last edited:

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
What's mind boggling is that anyone...

...would attempt a stunt like this, it is just too bizarre for description. It's too easy nowadays to find out a coroner's number, or a courthouse number, or any of several other venues that could supply the information on whether someone is dead or not. PA will just knock off the threads and pretend that none of this ever occurred. For those that genuinely grieved for him, at least some of them are going to walk away from this with a very sour taste in their mouths...

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps he saw the light, and the only way out was to fake his own death--rather then look like the PA fool he has been for so long.

Shawn

Lisa Y

Picked last in gym
Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl,

It's all a joke. HB Marcus, or the man who plays him, is alive.

I have no interest in this thing at all, yet I can't stop thinking about it. I want to know who missy31 is (the one who "spoke" with the "widow") and why Philwit posted the dang thing in the first place. And was the wife involved? The biggest mystery of all is, why do I need to know these things?

:Shrug:

I feel like I've been watching a soap all day. Days of our Pseudonyms or something like that.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
SRHowen said:
Perhaps he saw the light, and the only way out was to fake his own death--rather then look like the PA fool he has been for so long.
If one needs to kill off a persona, I can understand pleading computer crash, loss of ISP, the house burned down, etc. But faking one's own death? That's really out there.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Lisa, either this was...

...a smokescreen on behalf of the New Three Stooges, or Shemp's way of garnering attention for himself. If it's the latter, I think he has a pathological need for the spotlight. Let's face it, PA is going down the tubes, his books don't sell, so what would gain attention for him? The one time in all of our lives that we get lots of attention is right after we die. If you use a twisted sort of perverted logic, why not fake death, get all the accolades, and then return? Not the first time he has done this, you know.

I'll say this, too, I refuse to feel sympathy for him again, even if he did happen to die. That's not what I should say, but it is definitely how I feel. He has cried wolf one too many times for me.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
PA censors are working overtime. They deleted a new one, but so far, this one's still up:

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/8504.htm

I just read on the private board that this is indeed a hoax. Now, I don't know what to believe!

And is PA in on this hoax? I noticed that two of the other posts concerning HB have been pulled from the boards tonight.

Have aliens taken over control of people who would be involved in such a sick game? If not, some serious butt is going to be kicked in the future. H.B. should change his name to CAT, because he appears to have 9 lives, and he's using them up once a year.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I agree. I too believe this is a joke. A sick one at that.How can anyone play such a joke on people who loves them? This is beyond me. If this is a joke, I for one will have to look deep into my heart as to forgive him for putting all of us through this. There is enough grief with real deaths without pretending you are one of the deceased.

LindaP
Silent Killers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.