Pub snacks before peanuts and crisps

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm revising a story set in an alternate world where the Americas haven't been formally discovered or settled by Europeans, set in about the 1920s. Before peanuts and potato chips, what did rural pubs offer as pub snacks? My MC needs to drink another guy under the table without the guy realizing what's happening, so MC's going to eat in advance and only offer the other man pub snacks so he'll get drunk faster. I just don't know what to serve him.

Thanks! Hmm, I could probably use some information about typical pub drinks too, pre-brand-name days. My MC drinks bitters, but I don't know if that's how it'd be termed. Thanks! Oh, and would there be a milder drink that he could switch to that would keep him from getting tipsy as fast as his drinking partner?

ETA: I used pickled eggs and pretzels--does that sound right?

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Pork scratchings. You have to be drunk before eating those things.

Mild was the name for a beer weaker than bitter.

Pretzels are an American variant of a German bread, and (if your story is set in the UK) unknown in Britain until quite recently.

Last edited:

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't realize those were eaten as snacks outside of the U.S. Thanks!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Pickled eggs and gherkins yes, in some places. Pork Scratchings, not in southern pubs.
I think a lot of pubs just didn't sell snack foods at all

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
In Shakespeare's time, taverns served bread and cheese, meat pies, and pickled vegetables. Oh, and pig's ear.

#1Pencil

Registered
Reaction score
pub food

bread, cheese, cold meat pies, bangers (sausage), fried potatoes,hard boiled eggs, pints and half pints of ale, cider, etc.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Potatoes and tomatoes are "New World" plants as well as maize (commonly called corn, at least here in the US). So if they're not going to have peanuts, they probably won't have popcorn, potatoes, and any tomato based dishes. That is, if your setting is outside the US.

Your setting sounds interesting.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I went with pickled eggs (ugh), gherkins, and pork pies.

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
Please remember that in England (unlike the States), cider is alcoholic. Sometimes wildly so! "Scrumpy". Was incredibly disappointed to find in Canada that cider is only apple juice. I'm assuming this holds true for the States, too.

I'd go for bread and cheese as being served in pubs. Blimey, I could use some half-decent cheddar and a half of cider right now... :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Cider: Depends where they are in the country.
In 1920s era cider would not have been as widely available as it is now

And yes, it can be very strong!

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet.. in seaside taverns they would have a lot of whelks/cockles/prawns as snacks... as well as possibly dried kelp, crab sticks, whitebait, sardines etc...

There are still many places in the UK where you can get a pint of prawns with your pint of beer.

Willie