Bragging Rights: Let us congratulate you! (Please excuse the brag.)

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Just an update:

I've now had 11 articles published in GunUp. They recently offered me a contract for one article a month for a flat rate that is the highest rate they pay, based on word count, even if my articles are shorter. I've been providing them with a variety of stuff.

I just got word today that an editor at a different gun magazine accepted my first article for them and it will run in the April issue.

I've got two other assignments for two other gun magazines accepted that I have to finish. I have photos done for both and need to write the drafts.

Things are moving for me. I'm not anywhere near "making a living wage" yet, but I'm working towards that as the goal.

Congratulations!

Hey, have you thought about querying law enforcement trade mags? They need gun articles, too!

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
People, freelancing really can lead to other things!

I was asked by the publisher of a travel magazine I write for if I'd like to write a book for them--they're expanding into the book market. :D This is just soooooooooo cool, and a really sweet and awesome deal on top of everthing! My first book deal--yay!!! :partyguy:

CuriousMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
My first paid publication

At long last, I have my first fiction publication. To make matters better, it was selected as the "Name in Lights" for the issue. It was also the longest piece they've ever published in their 13 years.

"The White Plague" by William R.A.D. Funk
http://www.allegoryezine.com/mainpage.htm

After having two acceptances go up in smoke because publishers went out of business, I was nervous to say the least. But, here it is.

Thanks to Absolute Write for helping me steer clear of the questionable publishers. Thanks to Submissions Grinder for helping me find more potential publishers.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Congrats on your first fiction sale! You might check out Write One/Sub One for more interaction about fiction subbing.

And a belated congrats to Bushrat. You're right -- you never know what doors might open.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
You're welcome. Even though I'm a bit slower on subbing short fiction right now, that's my favorite area of the forum, partly because the core contributors are such diehards! It's also cool that the odds are good of getting thoughtful responses when you have any questions.

BTW, I'm also a fan of the Grinder.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Hey, have you thought about querying law enforcement trade mags? They need gun articles, too!

I'm also a firearms instructor (not LE) so I read a couple of law enforcement mags to keep my eye on the firearms instruction field.

The majority of the stuff they accept is written by LEO's. I just don't have that training or background. I still could write an actual firearms review for one of those mags, except for the fact that the actual gun reviews are the hardest things to pitch as most are done in house or by a stable of writers they have worked with before. And, as far as breaking in with them with other material, like I said, I don't have the background and experience to write the other types of articles they need.

yamikuronue

Registered
Reaction score
I write for a site that's notoriously harsh in the comments section (the forums are worse). My most recent article got THREE compliments! THREE! You guys! Three!

"Epic. More or less predictable till the last line. LOL."

"Finally a funny article with a twist at the end :D Good one!"

"Well-played with that last line. Oh, very well played indeed! One of the best-written stories I've seen on here in months, in fact... kudos."

Plus this one which basically counts:

"Oooh. I'm disappointed. I had hoped that that was the story how Stacy and John met, hooked up and lived together happily ever after."

My last article the best comment was someone recognizing I made a reference to the play/film Chicago, so this is a huge leap forward :D

ChipsAhoyMcCoy

ريانن ✿ &#159
Registered
Reaction score
I recently accepted an offer to write for a site (that admittedly I was already writing for, but for free) that's going to pay me per article! I've been writing for free for the past year for a handful of sites because, let's be realistic, nobody wants to pay for the crap an 18/19-year-old is churning out ten minutes before class. I've published on the Huffington Post in the past, but this should give me more opportunities since they're partnered sites! I've always felt like that's a really good way to get my name out there, so I've been pursuing guest writing opportunities there as often as possible. I was trying not to bring it up with friends or anything to avoid sounding like a braggart, but I'm really, REALLY excited about it! My dad hooked me up with my high school job, and my campus job hires anyone who applies, so this is the first thing that I feel like I've really, truly earned on my own.

jmichaelfavreau

Smells like bacon
Registered
Reaction score
So I just wanted to let everyone know that after writing an article for Law & Order Magazine (Police stuff, not the show :p) about a year and a half ago, I JUST got paid like two days ago! I had all but given up hope of ever getting paid but there was the check in the mail! That check, along with my earnings over the years brought my novel self-publishing debt from the red into the black! So happy and after being discouraged after thinking I wasn't going to get paid, I'm excited to write more articles (just not for that particular magazine)!