• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Just curious? - writing methods - index cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of people do. I haven't been very successful using them, yet I refuse to run out of them. There's something very "This is important, do not forget!" about an index card to me.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I don't, but I had a bad experience with that method in grade school. Something about writing (and carefully sourcing) over a hundred cards and then losing them all to a schoolmate's spilled drink. Ever since then I've avoided the things.

Besides, they give some nasty paper cuts.

~DragonHeart~

giusti

Registered
Reaction score
I use index cards for EVERYTHING. I wear a large jacket, with eight pockets, plus my pants pockets, and my over-shirt pocket, making it a total of thirteen. Three of those are currently occupied by stacks of index cards. I never use them for actual writings of stories. But I will constantly use them for programming, game design, language-learning (esp. Japanese Kanji), to-do lists, line-learning for plays, and straight-out notes. I have one stack of them that has a large supply of writing exercises. I order them in masses, five packs of a hundred each at a time.
Sorry, I got a little caught up in my excitement over the subject. In short, yes, I do use index cards.

-giusti

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to, once. But I hate those things. Hatehatehate. It's so convenient to take out scenes and switch them with new ones that I never move past the planning stage. Plus, I have a habit of spilling sticky, colorful drinks on index cards. It's like I'm magnetically attracted to the spillage.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I've been using index cards for the very first time, for the new WIP. I'm finding it a very cool approach.

A friend has been using index cards at the same time, also for a new WIP, and -- what we've done with them is totally different. I find that interesting.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I'm using index cards to figure out the order everything will be in for the literary journal I'm editing. I've yet to use them for writing, although I know people who do.

GerriB

Dazed and Confuzzled
Registered
Reaction score
I have tried index cards. I've also tried post-it notes and other small paper things to keep notes on.

In the end, I go back to my unlined 3-hole punch paper where I can write anything I want in any order in as large or small handwriting as I want. I can get a ream of that paper for about $5 and I don't have to worry for a long, long time about writing paper.

That being said....

That's me. YMMV (Your Milage May Vary). Try them out. If they work, awesome. If they don't work, awesome. Either way, you'll either be able to add them to your bag-o-tricks or cross them off so that you know that's not a place to go.

giusti

Registered
Reaction score
Of course, what's most important to me, are my whiteboards. I've got four of them in my room. I also read a suggestion on this forum earlier today, about using dry erase on the bathroom mirror, which I will definitely try. It always helps to be able to spread your ideas out. And even more so, when erasing is a matter of a single wipe, rather than the work it takes with a pencil eraser.

-giusti

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I bought a pack of blank index cards a few days ago for jotting down ideas. When I've accumulated a whole bunch I'll try to assemble them into a draft for a non-fiction book I'd like to write.

lucky8

Registered
Reaction score
Not as a rule but I have done for my current WIP. I've found them quite handy for seeing an overview of character arcs and trying out different structures.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. But I haven't really figured out the best way to make it work for novels. All previous experience with index cards has been in the screenwriting arena. (I put a really long post about this over in Novel Writing about this yesterday if you're curious.)

The thing about index cards is that you can use them a number of different ways, jotting notes, tracking scenes/story arcs, tracking characters, quick referencing for chapter/scene actions. The list goes on. It really a question of figuring out how they work best for you.

I've tried using just sheets of paper and dumping everything out that way but the result was a bit overwhelming. I like cards because I am forced to break things up into bite-size pieces. (Incidentally, I prefer cards to post-it notes because they are a little sturdier. Post-it notes eventually become not-sticky and they tend to get crumpled.)

Just my $0.02.

giusti

Registered
Reaction score
The thing about index cards is that you can use them a number of different ways, jotting notes, tracking scenes/story arcs, tracking characters, quick referencing for chapter/scene actions. The list goes on. It really a question of figuring out how they work best for you.

Exactly.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I tried it. I stopped before I went stark raving insane. It was part of an experiment to try different outlines to see what worked best for me; I was trying to solving a weak area with plotting. I found that I couldn't work with outlines. Though the index card one is the mostly widely recommended, it was the only one of the outline formats that I truly hated. The things that everyone else likes about it are the very things that I hated. I just couldn't deal with so many little pieces of paper.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could be one of those organized people- But, I'm not- I end up writing the book in my notes! I wing it, but I have aslo had to go back and rewrite huge chunks because something doesn't jive later on- I don't outline either- just start writing- I buy notebooks and pens/pencils when I am at staples but I never use them-

Status
Not open for further replies.