• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Books & Such Literary Agency

sfsassenach

I think it's troubling

that her site has been updated since 5/02! That speaks to how on top of things this agency is, IMO.

James D Macdonald

Re: I think it's troubling

I don't know about that ... webpages are at the bottom of the priority list at legitimate agencies.

Betty W01

First of all, I agree with several other post-ers that it's too bad this board doesn't present itself more as a "let's check up on so-and-so" rather than a "here's another scammer", when an innocent person may be mentioned in the subject line, thus damaging their reputation.

Second, I have nothing to do with Janet Grant, never met her, and she's not my agent (although I'll gladly sign on with her, when I get to that point, if she were to ask...), so this is not a puff piece.

Having said all that -

The thing to notice is that Grant has clients whose books have been sold. I have sitting on my shelf four books by Sandra Byrd that just came out in her Hidden Diary series for kids, represented by Grant, and they're good books, by a major house.

And her site must have been updated at least some since 5/02, because she mentions an associate who joined her in 2003, and the books by Byrd that she mentions came out in 2003, as well.

To me, it looks as though she is in the process of updating the site even now, and I don't know much about how you can tell when a site has been updated, but I don't *think* the date changes itself. Maybe her webmaster hasn't gotten to that detail yet!

So, don't let the old date put you off. Ask her for some clients' testimonials or contact some of them yourself... here are just a few of the authors she represents...

Robin Jones Gunn
www.robingunn.com/bio.html

James Watkins
www.gospelcom.net/watkins/pressroom.htm

Gayle Roper
www.gayleroper.com/

Stephanie Grace Whitson
www.stephaniewhitson.com/about.htm

Lynn A. Coleman
www.lynncoleman.com/

EDITORINCHIEF0103

My intenion was not to damage her reputaion...I apologize, but given the content of other posts I figured this was okay.

But thanks for the info. It is very reasssuring to know she is "real" and productive. I think now I will say a prayer and send in my work.She seems like the only agent I have found who seems to have the connections to the publishing houses I see my book with. Thank You again Betty :) .

Betty W01

you're welcome - and I'm sure you weren't trying to ruin anything, it's just a concern that this board's very set-up can cause from time to time. Jenna has had suggestions made to her in the past about changing it to something a bit more questioning in tone and introduction and a bit less accusing, so we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, good luck with your book!

:clover

Janet Kobobel Grant

Re: Janet Grant/Books&such feedback: legit!

Just to offer a few insights into my web site, janetgrant.com...It certainly has been updated since May 2002, but apparently my webmaster has failed to change that date.

I make changes about every other month, but the site isn't my highest priority. Like most agents, I'm busy placing projects, negotiating contracts, and troubleshooting for authors I represent. This past month I placed more than 30 projects; so I'd say I would fit in the "active" category.

I hope that helps to bring a bit of perspective to how seriously take the date of the last change on a web site.

Stephenie Hovland

Thank you for weighing in Ms. Grant. It is nice to hear directly from the source. :thumbs

Stephenie

EDITORINCHIEF0103

Well that is wonderful news:snoopy ! Thank You Janet Grant for sharing this bit of info with us.

rtilryarms

sfsassenach

sfsassenach,

You may not know it but the update note is posted by the page designer. That is the last time anything has been edited in the HTML.

Editing is done constantly, adding news etc. What the webmaster means by updating is changes in the body or new downloads.

The owner, Janet in this case, would not know how to change the update code normally.

So that was bad information

rt

Betty W01

Janet K. Grant

Since the above post, I've heard from three of her clients whom I personally know and can vouch for. They are VERY happy with her, and I've read a number of the books she's sold for them (without knowing it until now) and can say without equivocation that she's done an excellent job for them. In fact, I'd be very happy to have her as my own agent. (From my mouth to God's ear...)

ramis

Registered
Reaction score
I have had Janet Grant's name beside my computer since last spring. She is someone with whom I hope to work someday. Thank you Janet for taking the time to respond. God bless you!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
14 day personal ejection from rachel z
saying she's recently taken on quite a few
clients.

thequotegal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! Just received a response from my query to Rachel for first 3 chapters, synopsis and bio. However, upon visiting their site, I notice many books with religious themes....mine is not. Did I miss something about this agency???

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! Just received a response from my query to Rachel for first 3 chapters, synopsis and bio. However, upon visiting their site, I notice many books with religious themes....mine is not. Did I miss something about this agency???

From the "About Books & Such" page:

Janet Kobobel Grant established Books & Such Literary Agency in 1996 after working in the book publishing industry for more than twenty years. She had her own imprint at Zondervan Publishing and served as managing editor of books at Focus on the Family.

That may be what you missed: Zondervan is a large Christian publisher, and Focus on the Family is an evangelical Christian lobbying group.

thequotegal

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I most definitely did miss that part. Thanks! Do you think I should still send to Rachel? Do they work with other publishers?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I most definitely did miss that part. Thanks! Do you think I should still send to Rachel? Do they work with other publishers?

Well, when I go to their "Author News" page, all the news is about Christian publishing groups' awards; it does seem like that's their specialty.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Oy Vey...my protag is Jewish, and I didn't think to mention that in the query! Hmmmmmmmm!

Well, you never know. I'm sure they have contacts at mainstream publishers as well, but it does seem like they specialize in the Christian markets.

If they offer to represent you, I think you might be wise to get specifics about their submission plans before signing on with them.

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
It's been quiet on this thread. <echo, echo...>

I sent a query 9/25. Anyone else out there waiting?

sharla

What's up??
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharlalovelace.com
Sent a query to Wendy Lawton today, and received an automated message telling me that they only respond if they want more so if I haven't heard in 30 days, they've decided to pass.

That's okay, at least that's something other than crickets chirping!! LOL