Spanish Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya kids!

I'm looking for the appropriate words for "Guidance Counselor." Any ideas? I can figure out a literal translation, but I'm not sure I'm capturing the essence of the job.

Any ideas, students? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Sara

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Next, I'm making the entire class recite French, Rob. Run while you can.

CasualObserver

Registered
Reaction score
I have it straight from the source that there is no direct translation. Generally, English words with modern origins aren't translated, they're simply used as is. Eg; "Yo voy a mida guidance counselor."

There are many Spanish dialects though. That's how a Spanish-speaker from Texas would say it, according to a Spanish-speaker from Texas.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I have it straight from the source that there is no direct translation. Generally, English words with modern origins aren't translated, they're simply used as is. Eg; "Yo voy a mida guidance counselor."
I've noticed there is no Spanish equivalent for "permanent wave," as well.

(I hang out in Little Havana hair salons)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hiya kids!

I'm looking for the appropriate words for "Guidance Counselor." Any ideas? I can figure out a literal translation, but I'm not sure I'm capturing the essence of the job.

Any ideas, students? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Sara

Consejero escolar, Orientador, etc. In films is almost always translated as Consejero Escolar

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Max! You are awesome. A total life saver. :) Thank you so much.

Can you answer one more for me? Grade point average is usually referred to as GPA in English. In Spanish, is there an acronym or is it just something like grado medio? Maybe PGM?

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in school he was ese bastardo que siempre me anda diciendo cuales clases debo de tomar.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I think you mean Promedio de Notas. And I doubt there is an Acronym for it, if there is I haven't heard it

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
ConsejerA, CB. Unless there's something you want to tell us :D

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score

There are many Spanish dialects though. That's how a Spanish-speaker from Texas would say it, according to a Spanish-speaker from Texas.

First, whoever your "source" is, he or she does not speak correct Spanish. Saying that "words with modern origins aren't translated" is a load of ......er.... nonsense! Your "source" either doesn't know or can't be bothered.
Second, by 'mida' he/she means "mi" - Spanish for "my".
Third, a "guidance councellor" (presumably referring to some sort of school counsellor) can be translated as "asesor/a o consejero/a escolar" or "psicólogo/a" or "asistente social". (A councillor in local government is a "concejal/a").

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
First, whoever your "source" is, he or she does not speak correct Spanish. Saying that "words with modern origins aren't translated" is a load of ......er.... nonsense! Your "source" either doesn't know or can't be bothered.
Second, by 'mida' he/she means "mi" - Spanish for "my".
Third, a "guidance councellor" (presumably referring to some sort of school counsellor) can be translated as "asesor/a o consejero/a escolar" or "psicólogo/a" or "asistente social". (A councillor in local government is a "concejal/a").
Yeah, I'm working on a study for a college that is going to be polling guidance counselors in Panama. I'm thinking they won't be using bastardized phrasing.

Thanks for all the responses! You guys really help a girl out :)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, I'm working on a study for a college that is going to be polling guidance counselors in Panama. I'm thinking they won't be using bastardized phrasing.

Thanks for all the responses! You guys really help a girl out :)

You're welcome! when you need help, you know where I am... :)

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome! when you need help, you know where I am... :)

And if he can't help you, he can get Presidente Chespirito to give a hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.