A question on reading novels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I am off-topic talking about READING novels instead of writing.

I recently finished Patricia Reilly Giff's "Lily's Crossing", and I absolutely loved it. It was very moving and touching, and I was emotionally affected by it a great deal.

Now here's the problem: when I finished, I felt like I had awoken from a dream, a very good one, and I have that really empty feeling in me. I had spent so much time journeying with the two characters in the imaginative world, and the imaginary world was just so wonderful. Even if one of the character was an orphan who lost most of his family. When I finish, I can't come to grips with reality, the real world. In fact, it feels like my entire life is completely handicapped for a week! My mom jokingly says my soul is still lost somewhere in the book even though my body was in reality.

People have given me advice such as "don't take the novel so seriously, know that it is just in your head". However, what is the point of the reading a novel if you're not moved, if you don't imagine that it is real, if you don't bring back anything that you learned from reading it? I want to know, how to be able to get rid of my depression after finishing the novel, without sacrificing the experience. I want to be able to read and get affected, but positively and not negatively.

How can I achieve that?

Sorry for being a bit incoherent, but I still haven't gotten rid of my "zombie mode"

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
However, what is the point of the reading a novel if you're not moved, if you don't imagine that it is real, if you don't bring back anything that you learned from reading it?

I think you've answered your own question. I don't see anything wrong with being so affected by a piece of writing. I think that's a wonderful thing for you and a great compliment to the writer. The best books are the ones that you don't ever forget, and you shouldn't have to.

And by the way, :welcome:.

Exir

Registered
Reaction score
The problem is I get so moved by the novel that it begins to affect my life negatively as well. Like my mom said, my soul is still somewhere in the book, lost, even though my body is in this world. I want to get touched and emotionally affected by a novel, but not in a negative way, so that I can't even live normally. I keep thinking about the novel, and feeling empty, that I am a walking zombie. And that is not what I want. I want to be affected positively.

Exir

Registered
Reaction score
Basically, all I am saying is that I want the best of both worlds - I want to be moved while I read the novel, and I want it to affect my life positively, but I don't want the overwhelming emotions to slosh over too much into my everyday life, certainly not so much that I become a walking, empty corpse. I want to be immersed in it while I read - while keeping my composition when I'm not. Thanks for replying BTW.

Last edited:

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Exir -

I love reading, and after finishing Memoirs of a Geisha I couldn't read anything for close to a year, it affected me so deeply. I didn't want the magic of it to go away. You're supposed to be left wanting more -- it's the mark of a skilled writer. And, unless the book was written by Disney, there likely won't be a sequel. ;)

It'll pass, and you'll be ready for the next book. But I try not to read too much when I'm actively working on a novel of my own, because I've noticed it can impact me so much I have a hard time getting into character.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I always immediately re-read anything that affected me very much. It seemed as if I digested it better the second time around, and could leave it with a satisfied feeling.

This is true. The first time I read Jack London's 'The Sea Wolf' I felt as if I'd lived it.
Thrity years later, I've probably re-read it 25 times. Each time I read it I get something new out of it.

That's good writing.

Exir

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... so basically, the advice is to either consider this kind of post-novel reading empty feeling as positive rather than negative, and that rereading the novel might help with my problem.

Thanks!

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Argh! I envy you SOOO much! I miss that "lost" feeling, that total immersion I used to feel during and after a novel. It's been years since I felt that way about a book. I want to be a post-novel zombie. That's the joy of reading.

Exir

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think that just talking about my problem, and knowing that I'm not alone to feel "homesick" about the imaginary world of the novels, that the feeling is shared by everyone else, is already doing me a lot of help. Thanks!

Exir

Registered
Reaction score
Argh! I envy you SOOO much! I miss that "lost" feeling, that total immersion I used to feel during and after a novel. It's been years since I felt that way about a book. I want to be a post-novel zombie. That's the joy of reading.

Perhaps you haven't read a good enough novel? ;)

Just in case you wanna know, the novel that turned me into a post-novel zombie is called "Lily's Crossing", by Patricia Reilly Giff. Very touching novel. I think it won the Newberry Honor and Boston Globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.