Not open for further replies.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
What a day!

First, a friend of mine, let's call her Vicky, recieved a call from her dad, who lives in another city. It turns out someone had called her dad to tell him they'd kidnapped Vicky and then proceeded to give him her address, phone number and physical description. Then they demanded he give him about 300,000 dollars for ransom. Vicky was unharmed and safe in class, but she went into a fit of hysterics when she realized how much they knew about her. It took us a while to calm her down.

Then, as I got home from school, mom insisted we go to the supermarket to buy god knows what. I waited outside by the car because I was too lazy to walk all the way inside. As I waited there, some guy ran past me so fast he almost knocked me into the ground. I was just processing that when two policemen ran past me behind the guy. I watched as he ran all the way to where a bunch of taxis were parked, got into one and drove away while the policemen shouted profanities and looked on, unable to do anything.

So yay safety. This has been a crimeful day. So, share your stories, what crimes or near-crimes have you witnessed firsthand?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, that's awful, Dama and so glad that person didn't hurt you. We had that on my block many years ago. One time a person called our neighbor and they told her that her daughter was in the hospital, knowing her name, etc. and her mother was hysterical. It turned out to be a hoax. And one time, they called our neighbor across the street saying I was in trouble. We weren't home, but our neighbor knocked open our side door, to make sure I wasn't being attacked. That was scary. He never did fix our door. :)

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! that kidnap thing would scare the shit out of me too. Did the police get involved and is any one worried that this might just be the start of something?

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Mmmm I don't know if the police got involved, but I don't think they did. These things are very, very common here in Mexico. Random people will call you at your house and tell you they've kidnapped a loved one and ask for a ransom without having actually kidnapped anyone. Much, much easier.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Mmmm I don't know if the police got involved, but I don't think they did. These things are very, very common here in Mexico. Random people will call you at your house and tell you they've kidnapped a loved one and ask for a ransom without having actually kidnapped anyone. Much, much easier.
I had a random call today from someone who claimed they kidnapped me.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're okay Dama, and that with your friend is just unbelievable. Sad to think there are people sick enough to do stuff like that but I'm glad she's all right as well (as in not kidnapped).

Not really crime but nearest I can get - Christmas Day 2007. I was over at my parents' house adn we were getting Christmas dinner ready, expecting mum's friend in an hour or so and then we'd all sit down to eat. Mum, dad and I are all pottering around and dad decides to take out the rubbish. Mum's flat is basically the whole upper storey of the building, third floor, with one set of stairs inside and then the last two flights outside the building, with the rubbish bins / trashcans stacked against the stairs. Dad comes back up and says 'we might have a bit of trouble, there's a drunk lying at the foot of the stairs, not moving, don't know if he's dead or alive'. So mum slapped him on the head and told him to call the ambulance and police.

I grabbed some blankets out of our linen cupboard and went out to see if there was anything I could do - I have some basic first aid training from when I worked in theatre and had to do compulsory certificates - to find that the 'man' dad had found was actually a woman, but I was pretty sure there was nothing could be done. It'd been -5 degrees C that night and she looked like she'd been drinking, got tired and curled up to sleep at the foot of the steps, then just passed from the cold. Still, you can't tell at that temperature and so I still did what I could to try and warm her up and stayed with her while dad went to watch for the authorities. (the stairs are at the back of the building - you have to come down one of two narrow alleys on either side of it to reach them from the main road).

Anyway, the police arrived, four vans worth and about maybe a dozen officers, including one CID detective. Turns out the woman had been reported missing that night, and was on a lot of medication for things like depression, which hadn't helped once she'd gone drinking. Her family turned up at the house and had to be held off while the police were sealing everything up. They were from the same village, just a few streets away. Looked like the woman was trying to cut across our garden to get home, in fact.

Dad and I were taken off to the panda car to give statements, and dad meanwhile is panicking and fidgeting as he's terrified of authority and official stuff. We were in there for about half an hour to an hour, maybe. Finally they said we could go back inside, but would have to actually step over the body to get back indoors. Meanwhile both alleys were sealed off for a while until the undertakers got there. The police went around all the flats in the building, interviewed mum as well, but they had kind of figured already that there was nothing suspicious.

(sorry, this is a really long story)

Thing is, couple of weeks later, mum was in the local supermarket and was talking to someone who works there, whom she knows through her own job, and was telling her this story, whereupon the girl working at the next counter burst into tears. Turns out this was the woman's cousin. So mum ended up offering to talk to her about it, since the police obvious are very cagey with details and turned out we knew a lot about it that the family didn't. She told me she thinks she helped the girl a bit, but in that conversation she found out the woman had left a six year old son.

So, not really crime but police-related.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I got fucking shot on the leg, really. A bullet transpassed my leg.

I was on a queu for a pharmacy and on the cybercafe on the other side of the road some guy was robbing the place... whose owner happened to be a loose cannon sargeant who started to shot the guy down the street, guess who got the first goddamn bullet

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
This happened in the beginning of April, 2006...

My car had gotten towed because I was 37 minutes late to move it out of resident only parking. (God bless Boston.)

I was so fired up I decided to go to the impound lot at 11:00pm to collect the car and drive home to the Cape rather than just stay the night in Boston. They only accepted cash at the lot so I grabbed about $200 in twenties, all my stuff, and went to hail a cab.

It was dark, I was alone, there were no cabs, and a guy who looked suspiciously homeless began to head toward me.

Before I realized exactly what was happening, he was up next to me with his hand in his pocket, pressing something hard against my ribs. He looked me in the eye and whispered, "Listen carefully. I have a gun on you. Give me your money and I’m not going to make this harder than it has to be."

I said, "I have no money." That almost could have been true except I was very clearly hailing a cab when he walked up to me. *sigh*

The guy repeated the "give me your money" part of his speech, only this time he inserted the word "fucking" into the phrasing. I repeated my brilliantly constructed (aka, totally senseless) lie, and JUST as I was deciding whether or not to have a massive panic attack, the guy smacked me on the arm, whispered, "April Fools, honey," and stumbled down the street talking to himself.

He made it a half a block before I collected myself enough to inform him, at the top of my lungs, that wasn't fucking funny.

See, I always wondered what I'd do if I was going to be mugged. Turns out, I'd lie. Poorly.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
One time I was walking down Venice Boulevard in LA, on my way to the late night pharmacy to pick up some medicine for my man. It was a pretty scary area at night, but my man was sick, so there I was. Suddenly, this crazy looking dude jumped out of a shop doorway and grabbed me by the arm. Before he had a chance to say anything I screamed at him "Have you been taking your medication?" He stared at me for a second, then he ran away. Impersonating Nurse Ratched. Worked for me!

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Weird update: I just found out that they broke into a house in the same street where I live this morning. Funny how these things pile up, huh?

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
These things are very, very common here in Mexico. Random people will call you at your house and tell you they've kidnapped a loved one and ask for a ransom without having actually kidnapped anyone.

So what ye sayin' is it's a turnkey business with little or no start-up costs and high profits. Sounds like an infommercial. Count me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.