Short Plays- NEWBIE

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is only maybe my third post to the forum, and I am very happy with what I see!

Anyway, I've decided to enter a short play contest (5-15 minutes). I don't have experience writing plays, so I was wondering if any of you can point me in the right direction to start. I have almost a whole month to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, kohuether.

To me, your question is almost too broad. Kind of like asking how to write a book.

I guess first is to think of a story simple enough to be told in the amount of time you have. Figure out who your characters are, what happens, and how it ends up.

Even for a very short play or film, one option is standard three-act structure--don't let the term put you off. It just means a beginning which explains how things are and who the characters are, a middle in which something happens to change that, and an end, how things are now.

Now, how can you show an audience all of that without getting inside any character's head to know their thoughts (like novels or movie voice-overs do)? Using only the setting and what your characters say and do, tell the story.

Piece of cake, eh?

Worry about format last, BTW. Lots of new screenwriters and playwrights tend to focus on the details instead of the story. My one (and probably only) play followed only the most basic format rules, but it won.

Keep us posted on how it's coming, okay? Great.

Maryn

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I suppose it was too broad!

You will be happy to know that I have a good, workable story. I think my best bet would be to write the play from the top of my head as best as I can and then worry about the other details on the second draft. Or something. I will keep you posted!

Lady Brick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mindeclipse.com
I would also recommend reading a bunch of short plays... it will help give you an idea of how to effectively tell a story in the play format. I would also say the #1 rule of playwriting is subtext subtext subtext... if your characters are ever talking about what they actually want to talk about, you have a big problem :poke: