Juno Got Burned

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's ridiculous. Juno not being eligible for the Genies, I mean. I love my country, but sometimes we're incomprehensible even to ourselves.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
remember Forever Knight?

a show shot IN Toronto, with many excellent Canadian actors (Geraint Wyn Davies!) and set IN Toronto with some great shots of Yonge Street.

I had to watch it via Buffalo since it wasn't "Canadian" enough to be on the local channels.

same was true with a Bryan Adams album years ago...

shame how we hurt our own, eh?

(WGN is now showing "Corner Gas"! WAHOO!!!)

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
But why though?

Forgive me for the thought but it sound like a "shame on you for using American money" type of thing. I mean, look at the stats for that Cronenberg film. About Russians in London that was shot in London. The only connection to Canada the film has via the production company that proffered roughly 20% of the budget for the film. Not even 1/4 the cost of the film itself was given by a Canadian company and that movie is considered more Canadian than Juno which was shot in Canada with a Canadian director and a Canadian cast with a Canadian storyline? That's just plain absurd.

It makes me think that if the money had been Canadian and if there was a map of the US in the background somewhere it wouldn't be deemed Canadian enough because of it. it just sounds like they were splitting hairs with this one. Juno got a lot of attention in the US and perhaps they were afraid it would detract from other Canadian movies? I don't know but it's not like Cronenberg's only up for one award. I think the article said soemthing like 12 nominations he had. Oye.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Detract from what other Canadian films? They couldn't be that concerned about the survival of Canadian cinematic culture if the included 'Eastern Promises'. Sounds like jealousy to me.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
But why though?

Forgive me for the thought but it sound like a "shame on you for using American money" type of thing. I mean, look at the stats for that Cronenberg film. About Russians in London that was shot in London. The only connection to Canada the film has via the production company that proffered roughly 20% of the budget for the film. Not even 1/4 the cost of the film itself was given by a Canadian company and that movie is considered more Canadian than Juno which was shot in Canada with a Canadian director and a Canadian cast with a Canadian storyline? That's just plain absurd.

It makes me think that if the money had been Canadian and if there was a map of the US in the background somewhere it wouldn't be deemed Canadian enough because of it. it just sounds like they were splitting hairs with this one. Juno got a lot of attention in the US and perhaps they were afraid it would detract from other Canadian movies? I don't know but it's not like Cronenberg's only up for one award. I think the article said soemthing like 12 nominations he had. Oye.

The only thing I can think of that is that Cronenberg, I believe, has won something like 5 Genie awards already, and was nominated for I don't know how many more. He may be considered more established, but it's still rather silly.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
According to the spokesman of the Genies committee, nobody submitted Juno which is why it wasn't considered. I'm sorry, I don't have the link to the article anymore.