You police your dogs, why don't you police your kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
One thing that bugged me when I was a preschool teacher and a Sunday school teacher were the parents that would say, "Not my child." with wide eyes of disbelief when I would tell them what misdeed little Johnny had done in their absence. Hell yes your child! Open your eyes and discipline your kid!

I can't stand this either. Your kids can and will do just about anything, and you have to be prepared for it. That attitude never ceases to amaze me.

"It must be your fault. Little Johnny would never do such a thing."

Yeah, right!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pamster said:
I have heard that they hibernate, but so far Mr. T is awake and enjoying his tank. Maybe it's because he's a baby, I don't know, but he's a lot of fun to sit and watch doing his thing.
I see you are in Florida, he may not hibernate if it doesn't get cold enough. I was in Kentucky and Kansas when I had King Tut, so it got nice and cold.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TJ, I also babysat some of my students, since the PReschool was only half day and I gotta eat. Some of the angels at school were devils at home.
"YOu can't tell me what to do, you aren't my mommy!" Oh yeah? One little girl, who loved me at church, and always wanted to sit on my lap, was particularly bad. By the time I was baby sitting she was 7 and her sister was 4 and at the Preschool where I taught. Well, the 7 year old decided I couldn't tell her what to do because we were at her house not at school (The sunday school and preschool were in the same building.) and I was having a devil of a time trying to get her to clean up her toys and get her ready for bed. Suddenly her four year old sister started to pick up her toys, as though she decided she didn't have to do everything her sister did. Well, this must be rewarded. I didn't have any stickers ( it is amazing what you can get kids to do for stickers) but I had stamps. I gave a stamp to the 4 year old and told her since she was being good, she didn't have to clean up anymore (she had already put away half the toys). Suddenly Miss High and Mighty 7 year old burst into tears and said she wanted a sticker too. Well, clean up and get ready for bed, like your sister. Let me tell you, it was worth the price of two stamps to have peace. I didn't tell her Mom because she was as bad as the 7 year old. ;) Though I did explain why they had postage stamps because I was out of stickers.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
My high school had a program like that. The special needs kids all had a facilitator that helped them, and often came to class on behalf of the child if he/she couldn't come that day. They did try mingling them in with the regularly-paced classes, and some could handle it. I remember one instance where one kid got up and ran, faliling and crying, into the hallway and into a wall. We could hear the thud. I'm still not sure what happened, but he didn't come back.

If they had had a 'shadow aide' for my son it would have been fine, but they refused saying they had one aide in the class and that was supposed to be enough. It made us mad at first, then we moved him to the special school and never looked back. Some kids do well in inclusion settings without special aides but many don't. :( Sounds like that one boy had major anxiety attack or something. It's not unheard of for kids with special needs to have anxiety. :(

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I see you are in Florida, he may not hibernate if it doesn't get cold enough. I was in Kentucky and Kansas when I had King Tut, so it got nice and cold.

That is also what I wonder, if it just doesn't get cold enough. I love the name you had for your pet though, King Tut, totally awesome name! :D My son named Mr. Turtle so we're calling him Mr. T. :) Of course he has no mohawk. LOL! But if I ever get real bored I might try and photoshop one onto his pic. LOL! :D

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
That is also what I wonder, if it just doesn't get cold enough. I love the name you had for your pet though, King Tut, totally awesome name! :D My son named Mr. Turtle so we're calling him Mr. T. :) Of course he has no mohawk. LOL! But if I ever get real bored I might try and photoshop one onto his pic. LOL! :D
*Ponders if Mr. Turtle has met Mr. Turkey*

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so Turkey Lurkey, but then again he had a life before I bought him and anything is possible. ;) :D :snoopy:

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
THANKS for this thread! I work in retail now. We have a phone bar in the front of the store with all live phones on it. The most expensive is worth $500, and the least is $160.

People just let their kids play with the phones, pull on them, bang them against the phone bar. And I'm like WTF? Are YOU willing to pay for that if your kid breaks them?

Then they'll bring their kids in and the kids will just start screaming and crying and they'll just ignore them. They really will.

The worst situation happened recently where these parents came in and gave their ten year old a PSP to play with. The 10 year old sets it down and goes to play with our phones. Someone else was in there with HER kid and her kid stole the PSP.

Then when she gets caught, she's pissed because we gave the police her name. And she says "it's not a crime for one boy to take another boy's toy."

In almost the same breath, she says "besides, I can't give it back, I SOLD it."

So aghh... people! how you allow your kids to behave in public indicates how they will continue to behave in public if you don't teach them to be respectful. And, y'know, not steal $200 'toys'.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, lady, that's EXACTLY what it is.

Then when she gets caught, she's pissed because we gave the police her name. And she says "it's not a crime for one boy to take another boy's toy."

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of months ago, my ex-husband took my son to McDonald's and after my son ate his lunch, he was allowed to play in the Playland germ fest. Anyway, after about 5 minutes he starts screaming up at the top and my ex dutifully crawls all the way to the top to find my son. There was a little girl of about 6 holding my sons hand and trying to calm him down. My son was so upset he couldn't tell my ex what had happened but the little girl did. Another girl of about 7 or 8, pulled his pants down and then pushed him and he smacked his head on the floor (she pushed him backwards). The little girl pointed out the offender, who was now sitting at a table. My ex got my son down and calm. Once everything was okay, the woman with the brat came over and said, "Did my granddaughter do something to him?" Ex related the story and wasn't very nice while he did it.

Did they get an apology from the brat? Nope. Grandma says, "Last time we came she punched a 2 year old in the face and gave him a bloody nose." And walked away. No apology, nothing. They didn't even leave. A minute later, the brat was back in Playland.

WTF? If my kid pushed down a smaller kid (my son is 3!) and hurt him, not only would they get an apology but my son would be in so much trouble he'd wish he was never born.

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
One thing that bugged me when I was a preschool teacher and a Sunday school teacher were the parents that would say, "Not my child." with wide eyes of disbelief when I would tell them what misdeed little Johnny had done in their absence. Hell yes your child! Open your eyes and discipline your kid!
That's like the people who say, "My dog never bites" seconds before it sticks it's teeth in your ankle.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Did they get an apology from the brat? Nope. Grandma says, "Last time we came she punched a 2 year old in the face and gave him a bloody nose." And walked away. No apology, nothing. They didn't even leave. A minute later, the brat was back in Playland.

I swear the next words out of my mouth would have been, "Think you ought to do something about that?"

At least it was the next thought in my head as I read your story.

An adult would go to jail for that kind of behavior. Think she ought to be taught different before she gets old enough to go?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When my daughter was about 3, my son was a year old (back in the late '80s), we were in the grocery store. I had both my kids in the cart because the game was that I would hand them thing and they'd arrange them in the cart and build a little castle there and then hand everything they could manage back to me at the check-out line.

Anyway, there was a woman with a kid about my daughter's age who was SCREAMING at the top of her lungs and running up and down the aisle and, in general, causing a giant ruckus. I altered my usual pattern of shopping to avoid them, but it didn't really work as we kept running into them.

My girlchild called me over and put her arms up in the traditional gesture that she wanted to get out. This usually meant that she wanted to ask me for/about something, so I picked her up. She went directly over to the screaming kid (who at that point was at least in hand by her mother) and announced, "Do you know you look like a baby? Stop it!"

Then she turned around and came back to me, lifted her arms. I put her back in the cart and continued on our way.

Didn't hear a thing out of that kid for the remainder of the shopping trip. The mother kept giving me and mine sideways glances as we passed in the aisles, though.

Ah, what a treasured memory that is. *proud motherly sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.