Favorite lines you've written

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't make it into the WIP but:

A Colonel speaking to a Lieutenant: "You are such a pain in the ass that I can feel you even with your Captain for a cushion!"

milotry

swamp dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Very recent and probably slightly bizarre out of context:

At the same moment that Elspeth raised her arm upward, the heavens opened, pouring down upon them. The sky filled their mouths as they screamed.

ladyfickle

Registered
Reaction score
“Is Vivienne a good writer?” – Ashton was surprised with the question, for he never mentioned that Vivienne is a writer. But he responded frankly:

“Well, her characters are rather shallow and inadequate, she can’t create conflict for the life of her, and she has got nothing of value to say, but other than this, she is really my favorite writer.”

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
"Mitts," Merle said, "Every second we spend out here, we risk getting caught, too."

"Oh please," Gloria hollered. "What's the worst they can do to you? Feed you your second choice of food next to your soft little bed by the fireplace, while they gorge themselves on our flesh? Give me a break, pet!"

"Gloria," Mildred squealed, "Please stop. They don't have to help us, don't make them walk away. I want to have my piglets on this pasture, in the safety of that big sheep flock. You remember the place mistress got us from, don't you?"

Something in Gloria changed in that instant. All the sass was gone.​

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Brilliant streaks of red and gold dominated the sky as the sun slipped below the restless ocean waves. The surf battered a chain of shadowy islands that were just offshore, rising in great white plumes that roared and thundered across the darkening water.

Just Jeremy

Registered
Reaction score
Avoiding the WIP this morning.

She was naked wearing a pair of bull testicles the first time he met her. The following occasion he saw Sarah standing naked on her head in front of parliament house. More people have seen Sarah's bottom than watched the moon landing probably.

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I guess the bell must have rung, for rods were migrating back into the halls, refilling the blood back into this place’s arteries. Lin led me to its heart.

Two ivory-black doors towered like dominos about to crash down. Thick, golden paint-lines crisscrossed the door’s center, eventually winding down into two spiraling door handles.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
She just shrugged and said so lazily that it was probably in text-speech: “Sorry.”

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I used to love making shadow puppets and jig dolls, but look what evil could do with innocence.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Just bopped in for a bit of inspiration or, quite possibly, distraction. Either way, I wasn't disappointed.
starrystorm, thank you for keeping this thread going. By the way, this
...look what evil could do with innocence
is chilling, esp. now.

eek.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Barney’s heart thundered. “You mean, AJ’s after me? Oh-no. He’ll use his necromancing powers to raise an army of the dead and they’ll eat me alive! They’ll suck on my bones like lollipops and devour my brains like gelatin.”

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Just bopped in for a bit of inspiration or, quite possibly, distraction. Either way, I wasn't disappointed.
starrystorm, thank you for keeping this thread going. By the way, this is chilling, esp. now.

eek.

Thanks.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
This is a bit long - please pardon. A female android leaving her home where she had lived for the past 200 years.

Rose stood in the main room of her home and took a long last look around. Memories whispered from every wall and stick of furniture. She wandered by crowded bookcases, occasionally touching the spine of a work that had spoken to her soul. The books couldn’t travel with her, but they would stay with her nonetheless; she recalled every word within their pages, but the exquisite slow pace of reading them, tasting each word and phrase, was where the true pleasure of the story lay.

She thought of her paintings stored in the spare room; they were snapshots of her time in Granby. Lost friends and lovers were trapped within those images; what would they think of her coming adventure? With a sigh, she bid them a gentle goodbye.

Once abandoned, what would become of her home? The books and paintings would grow moldy in the damp environment and over the coming years they would disintegrate; beautiful words and friendly faces would fall to ruin and be lost forever. It felt like giving back somehow. Inspiration for them had been plucked from the ether in hopes of gracing the lives of those that encountered them, perhaps it was time for that spark of creativity to return home.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Barney’s heart thundered. “You mean, AJ’s after me? Oh-no. He’ll use his necromancing powers to raise an army of the dead and they’ll eat me alive! They’ll suck on my bones like lollipops and devour my brains like gelatin.”

Dark! I like it.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
This is a short, but humorous, conversation between an adult cat (Leif) and a kitten (Sammy). It's from a MG WIP. Sorry if it's a tad bit long.

“What’s this?” Sammy poked the bookmark, leaving a dirty paw print.

“Hey! Be careful.” Leif used his tail to brush off the print.

“Is it a flat cupcake?” Sammy asked. “Papa says cats aren’t supposed to eat cupcakes.”

Leif scrunched his nose. “You think it’s a...cupcake?” He chuckled. “This isn’t a cupcake.”

“Then why is it colorful?” Sammy asked. “The owner brought back cupcakes one day and they were rainbow like that.”

“This is a bookmark,” Leif explained. “It’s used by humans so they don’t lose their place in a book.”

Sammy frowned deeply as if concerned. “Oh. That doesn’t sound like a cupcake.”

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Still torturing myself by banging away at this short, but I might like this bit :Shrug::

[FONT=&quot]The third rule, though. At first it didn’t make sense. If she was already dying, she wouldn’t need the card, would she? But the following year, one of the popular girls, one whose mom never forgot her lunch and bought her matching barrettes for her never-torn-and-just-the-right-size t-shirts, got cancer. Even a kid like Laura who’d learned exactly when to cruise past the big garbage pail against the wall of the lunchroom and skim a barely touched pb&j sandwich— real fancy jam, not the pretend fancy her mother sometimes got with the bitter bits of orange peel in it— off the top could see it was bad. Bad enough that when the girl’s coveted barrettes began falling out as her hair thinned, she didn’t seem to care. Didn’t say a peep when those same barrettes began appearing on other girls’ heads, at the best lunch table closest to the playground exit, where she used to sit. Laura saw the way the girl began walking different. A pain walk, like glass slivers had made their way inside her bones. Laura saw, and she didn’t want that, not even for matching barrettes and seedless raspberry jam.[/FONT]

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
This thread, both familiar and surprising, is a comfort, esp. now. Added bonus: I'm not tripping over my own words when I reading somebody else's.

Inspiration for them had been plucked from the ether in hopes of gracing the lives of those that encountered them, perhaps it was time for that spark of creativity to return home.

Perhaps it is, indianroads. Quite lovely.

When is the last time you saw a dog checking out another dog's face? They don't care.
I couldn't help but envision how dogs do check out each other. . .:)

“What’s this?” Sammy poked the bookmark, leaving a dirty paw print.
“Hey! Be careful.” Leif used his tail to brush off the print.

I can imagine that as well. Your passage is sweet and innocent. I'll take heaping helpings of both today.

A pain walk, like glass slivers had made their way inside her bones.

OY, ap123. That poor, poor girl. To suffer as she has . . . and somehow, I can relate. Maybe you can, too. Shall we go back and read The Second Moon's passage again? Sweetness and innocence, at least for today.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
This thread, both familiar and surprising, is a comfort, esp. now. Added bonus: I'm not tripping over my own words when I reading somebody else's.

Agreed

OY, ap123. That poor, poor girl. To suffer as she has . . . and somehow, I can relate. Maybe you can, too. Shall we go back and read The Second Moon's passage again? Sweetness and innocence, at least for today.

Relating is good. Alas, I leave sweetness and innocence to others who can relate to it. ;)

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
From a WIP with romantic elements. I may change the romance a bit, but I liked these really rough lines. Kind of cheesy/melodramatic, but she’s a dramatic sort of teen, so it fits her personality, hehe.

Excerpt:
I never meant to become a player; I was meant to be the kind and sweet tag-along girlfriend of a player.

The cheering cling-on accessory meant to support and comfort the (very nice and very cute) boyfriend as he achieved his goals.

But it was not to be, I guess.

I never realized how much I would love that game of his. Or that I would fall out of love with him soon after...