Favorite lines you've written

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
From my WIP...

Punk told me once, told me everything. We were under the Funny Tree, just me and him lying on our backs bullshitting about this and that and all of a sudden, Punk props himself up on one elbow and looks over at me real serious, says he’s got something to tell me he never told anybody ever. Next thing I know, he’s dishing out horror like it’s the weather report, talking in this weird monotone about getting punched and belted and burned with cigs and what his old man does to him sometimes late at night when the bottle’s empty and lights are out.
I listen. Almost puke once, glad I don’t. When it's over, we stare at each other a long minute. Then, I sit up, pat his shoulder and tell him I’ll kill the motherfucker if he wants me to.
He tosses me this strange little smile and says, “It’s okay, Tuck. I got a plan about that.”
“What plan?”
“Patience, grasshopper,” he says. “You’ll read about it one day in the funny papers.”

This is great. What's your work-in-progress about? Awesome use of indirect dialogue and great directly rendered dialogue too!

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
This is great. What's your work-in-progress about? Awesome use of indirect dialogue and great directly rendered dialogue too!
Flowerburgers, first of all, thanks a lot for saying that.
The story is about two kids--a 13 y/o bully and his 9 y/o victim--who become unlikely allies when they stumble across a murderer's killing field.
Kinda. :)
The narrator is leader of a gang of four other boys. Punk is one of the four.

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
The story is about two kids--a 13 y/o bully and his 9 y/o victim--who become unlikely allies when they stumble across a murderer's killing field.
Kinda. :)
The narrator is leader of a gang of four other boys. Punk is one of the four.
I'm intrigued kkbe sounds very interesting with what sounds to be some very strong character builds. I hope I have an opportunity to read it someday.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
At some point, she could not say when, she had pulled in all the strands, all the branches and dead ends and clues, bundled them into a courier pack and gathered her feet under her to propel herself and them to where they were needed, an enduring of the claws of kittens for the sake of cats.

Registered
Reaction score
He watched his victim’s eyes twist up into his skull and his body topple forward. It reminded Justin of that philosophical If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it question.

If a dead guy falls onto a hardwood floor and his murderer is deaf from the gun blast, does it still make a thud?

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"The world was not a clean place, nor was it well-lit."

I managed to give a nod to Hemingway with this one, which is why I like it so much.

Riftrunner

Registered
Reaction score
From my most recent WIP, in which the protagonist finds himself in a Old West-style standoff with a half-Sidhe he needs answers from.

“Way I see it we find ourselves in a rather unique predicament, one in which you have to ask yourself a pressing question: is whatever fairy curse you got ready to level at me capable of leaving your lips faster than my quickdraw? If so, well then you'll be famous among all the sparkling knife eared crowd. Hell, given the list of enemies I've made over the years, you'll have representatives of damn near every supernatural nation on the planet lining up to sing your praises. But if you are wrong? If I clear leather and you ain't mumbled fast enough? Well then you are gonna find out if half-fae like yourself inherit a soul from the human parent or if you fade off into painful nothingness like the rest of those hollowed out sons of bitches we call Sidhe. Big questions, but is it worth getting the answers?”

Last edited:

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Translucent white curtains, glowing with the mid-day sun, tossed in the windows surrounding him.

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Here's something from a story I can't figure out...for context, Tania Head was a woman who faked being a 9/11 survivor for ten years before finally being outed as a liar.

Tania Head was a nut for sure, but, to this day, I feel for her. Who, from time to time, doesn’t want to be someone else? Less than a year later, my mother would leave for good, and at night, before bed, I would pray to wake up in a different body, perhaps the body of a sparrow, to pass my troubles along to someone else, to fly south for the winter. Who doesn’t want to be special, a victim, a hero, a little bird, somebody with a story worth telling?

Planet Fiction

Registered
Reaction score
This is from a completed project of mine, one of my favorite lines I've written in anything.

"I have never meant anything more in my entire life. And I don’t need my memory to know that that’s true.”

Fugitive Energy

Registered
Reaction score
I hope this is Okay.
These lines appear in a juvenile, aquatic animals', mystery, written in rhyme. The Eel has been implicated in the murder of a Trout, and, is now on the stand fighting for his freedom. The judge directs a question towards Eel, but, Eel's attorney cuts in, to advise the Eel not to respond.

"Eel, Eel, can this be true?"
"Don't answer, Eel, I will answer for you!
"Futher, Your Honor, I have to insist,
This haggling of Eel is a fish prejudice!"

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I hope this is Okay.
These lines appear in a juvenile, aquatic animals', mystery, written in rhyme. The Eel has been implicated in the murder of a Trout, and, is now on the stand fighting for his freedom. The judge directs a question towards Eel, but, Eel's attorney cuts in, to advise the Eel not to respond.

"Eel, Eel, can this be true?"
"Don't answer, Eel, I will answer for you!
"Futher, Your Honor, I have to insist,
This haggling of Eel is a fish prejudice!"
You never know what unique little tidbits you're going to find on this thread. Fugitive, your excerpt is like a breath of fresh air. :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I came across a line I barely remembered writing when I was looking for something suitable for a call for manuscripts:

Wayne joined the Army, got into college, and earned a master’s degree while the boys he’d grown up with joined gangs, got into drugs, and earned long jail sentences or caskets.

Maryn, who likes Wayne

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
"I once yearned for deaths seduction though my name she could not pronounce- she parted her lips yet nothing, no sound."- an immortal expressing his sorrows while yearning to rest in peace

Last edited:

Fugitive Energy

Registered
Reaction score
You never know what unique little tidbits you're going to find on this thread. Fugitive, your excerpt is like a breath of fresh air. :)

Thank you, kkbe. I am glad that it sounded, ok. I find inspiration from many posts in this very thread.