Favorite lines you've written

Joe Kelly

Registered
Reaction score
Here's one from my first novel:
I don't think you understand how this works. This isn't a catch and release program.
and another
Are you doing it again? What's the matter? You have an itch you just had to scratch one more time?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
"Even though she'd asked for it, Sam Pollak could not help feeling guilty the day he killed his wife."

That's all I knew about the story when I wrote that first line. It ended up becoming a book, published by Simon & Schuster, called ROWING IN EDEN.

Aloysius

Registered
Reaction score
“Just bear in mind at all times that you’re only an American. Therefore, aside from certain extremities—for example, sodomizing one of your male students while class is still in session—the more barbarically you behave, the more likely you’ll find yourself well received here.”

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
She grins. “No problem, Princey. You’re one of us. Took part in our show. Makes you an honorary jester.” A sniff echoes out of Merinh’s study. Lolo ignores it. “Anyway, I thought it would be a bit of a laugh to get you started with training. You up for it?”

“I – I have a lot of work to do…” I look at her lopsided grin and dancing eyes and wonder if I really do. I’ve kept myself inside ever since the day of my trial. Is it because it’s my duty, or am I hiding?

A breeze wafts in the door, ruffling Lolo’s copper-coloured hair, tickling my nose with the fresh scent of salt air. The invitation is irresistible.

“I’m going out, Tenirra. I’ll be back for supper.” I wrap a cloak over my shoulders – it’s one of Merinh’s, since mine is still lost at sea somewhere – and close the door, ignoring the loudest sniff ever.

Last edited:

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"No landsman could ever understand. Once the salt seeped into your bones and your blood moved with the rhythm of the seas, life on an unmoving clod of earth was no life at all."

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
"No landsman could ever understand. Once the salt seeped into your bones and your blood moved with the rhythm of the seas, life on an unmoving clod of earth was no life at all."

Stunning!

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Stunning!

Yes, very mythic and the choice words "landsman" combined with the focus on salt brings old cultures to mind.

Here are two from my hopefully-soon-to-be-finished WIP (out of dozens I wanted to put here):

"...and Maximus Kremmer, who spent most of his life hating, died hating."

"I came into the world like everyone else: small, blind, and crying in the dark."

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Current or in the past, what are your best lines? This is a little less restrictive than "your first 3 lines" or "last line you wrote today." Choose something from anywhere in anything you've ever written and take your best shot.

Here's one I'm rather fond of to get this started.

In a play about a dying woman discussing how she will spend the rest of her time... "I'm on the wrong side of time."

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
From my second novel:

A Hispanic man opened the front door. He had triple chins, white teeth and sported a fleshy smile as he backed up a step. He wore a sharkskin suit and Johnny wondered idly if he sported a fin on his back.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I know to look for them, the remembering-stones make up a forest of the departed around us. It’s an odd sensation. The fresh air, the sun on the waves and the constant cries of the birds around us speak of life, not death, and yet we’re surrounded by it.

I wonder if the souls of the dead linger here. On such a day, the thought isn’t frightening – just a wistful hope that they, too, can take some ethereal pleasure in it.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Another:

He looked out the window at thin drizzle – the kind that was too light to turn on your car wipers but would soak you to the skin in a minute. Clouds hung over the rain-slicked concrete like lacy shrouds. The sun, as far as anyone knew, could have passed him by and gone on to less bleak surroundings, running silent through the still blackness of space. Somewhere out there Linda's body was getting wet, the rain soaking through her clothing and getting into her eyes. And she didn’t feel a thing.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Another:

He looked out the window at thin drizzle – the kind that was too light to turn on your car wipers but would soak you to the skin in a minute. Clouds hung over the rain-slicked concrete like lacy shrouds. The sun, as far as anyone knew, could have passed him by and gone on to less bleak surroundings, running silent through the still blackness of space. Somewhere out there Linda's body was getting wet, the rain soaking through her clothing and getting into her eyes. And she didn’t feel a thing.

Really atmospheric! I feel clammy just reading it.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
One last one. Aelfinn is given a throwing knife.

It’s much lighter than my dagger. The balance is different. Like a falcon compared to a war stallion. Both have an air of sleek fierceness, but one is sturdy and earthbound. The other has flight in its bones.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I popped in to see what I'd been missing and found little gems...

But if you are wrong? If I clear leather and you ain't mumbled fast enough?

Who doesn’t want to be special, a victim, a hero, a little bird, somebody with a story worth telling?

“You didn’t wake me, but I’m not in the mood for diamonds and rust right now.”

An undeclared war had scraped through her former life like a tractor, plowing up her future and leaving it barren. In the last days before her husband had donned his uniform and gone off to fight, she’d said all the wrong things to him. She hadn’t understood that until it was too late, too late to apologize, too late to encourage and support instead of rant against the evils of war and berate him for not refusing to go. He hadn’t come back, not in a coffin, not in a bag. Not at all.

“. . .the world we think we live in, the world we expect, is not what we think it is. . .”

Alena fought to curl, to kick. That idiot grin bobbed gaping close. Blunt claws scrabbled at her face, her filters, all in a wash of ferment and rot.

"Once the salt seeped into your bones and your blood moved with the rhythm of the seas, life on an unmoving clod of earth was no life at all."

"I'm on the wrong side of time."

Somewhere out there Linda's body was getting wet, the rain soaking through her clothing and getting into her eyes. And she didn’t feel a thing.

. . .one is sturdy and earthbound. The other has flight in its bones.

Next time, I won't wait so long.