Favorite lines you've written

KCT

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
From a work in progress

Carl gazed transfixed at the ridge curious to know all about the girl who had fire and lightening in her hair.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Noah and Andrea were having a discussion. Noah said something he might not should have said.

"The storm clouds rolled over her face. This had happened a few times before, back when they'd first met. Her dark eyes would flash and her face would take a set like a tall ship heading into the wind. Best to give her plenty of room when that happened. He had learned that the hard way."

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
Fear of the inevitable had my mind spinning all night. My eyes felt like festering wounds aching in pain- only to be soothed if I close them.

Mike Martian had been shot in the freaking head and I knew enough about why to be next but not enough to protect myself and my kids.

I rubbed my hands across my face, “what the hell am I going to do?”

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
This is from Shattered Guardian, a novel I'm putting on the back burner for now:

He ignores me for months, but now it’s ‘my dear’? Not likely. A glance at the screen showed Magnin in his usual double-breasted white suit, wearing a pair of sapphire cufflinks Christabel had given him as a Winter Solstice gift. “You didn’t wake me, but I’m not in the mood for diamonds and rust right now.”

Last edited:

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
WIP - I amused myself with this one. Maybe just a grin for the thought of an ex flying from earth :tongue

I took in a long breath then faced him solemnly, “I wouldn’t say that I hated Mike however if for some reason he lost gravitational pull and flew into space slowly suffocating due to lack of oxygen- I may not cry. I didn’t kill Mike and you’re wasting your time here. “

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Noah and Andrea were having a discussion. Noah said something he might not should have said.

"The storm clouds rolled over her face. This had happened a few times before, back when they'd first met. Her dark eyes would flash and her face would take a set like a tall ship heading into the wind. Best to give her plenty of room when that happened. He had learned that the hard way."
Lovely!

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Usually I lurk. Today, I shall post. My MC has just been told by her longtime friend, and potential husband that he is off to be a warrior at the high king's request. BTW, she has lived another life in the 20th century. In this life, she is now about 16 years old (going on 75) ---

It felt as if a giant hand was crushing her chest. An undeclared war had scraped through her former life like a tractor, plowing up her future and leaving it barren. In the last days before her husband had donned his uniform and gone off to fight, she’d said all the wrong things to him. She hadn’t understood that until it was too late, too late to apologize, too late to encourage and support instead of rant against the evils of war and berate him for not refusing to go. He hadn’t come back, not in a coffin, not in a bag. Not at all. By the time Uncle Sam took her brother, she knew better. He and the boys he’d trained with had traipsed in and out of her small apartment and her small life. She’d fed them, encouraged them, told them how big, and strong, and brave they were. She’d laughed and joked with them and then gone alone to her room and prayed for them and cried. Her brother had returned sound of body, but in his eyes she saw the ghosts circling, unable to free themselves or him from the everlasting nightmare.

She smiled for Stevan, and she strung stupid sentences together. “How proud you must be. How proud your father must be. All the province will be toasting and boasting when they learn of it. I’m so happy for you.”

He laughed. “You are not! Come now, what is wrong?”

She laughed back, the tears that clogged her throat choking a little.She looked at the western skies. “I shall miss you, Stevan.” Yes, so much.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Usually I lurk. Today, I shall post. My MC has just been told by her longtime friend, and potential husband that he is off to be a warrior at the high king's request. BTW, she has lived another life in the 20th century. In this life, she is now about 16 years old (going on 75) ---

It felt as if a giant hand was crushing her chest. An undeclared war had scraped through her former life like a tractor, plowing up her future and leaving it barren. In the last days before her husband had donned his uniform and gone off to fight, she’d said all the wrong things to him. She hadn’t understood that until it was too late, too late to apologize, too late to encourage and support instead of rant against the evils of war and berate him for not refusing to go. He hadn’t come back, not in a coffin, not in a bag. Not at all. By the time Uncle Sam took her brother, she knew better. He and the boys he’d trained with had traipsed in and out of her small apartment and her small life. She’d fed them, encouraged them, told them how big, and strong, and brave they were. She’d laughed and joked with them and then gone alone to her room and prayed for them and cried. Her brother had returned sound of body, but in his eyes she saw the ghosts circling, unable to free themselves or him from the everlasting nightmare.

She smiled for Stevan, and she strung stupid sentences together. “How proud you must be. How proud your father must be. All the province will be toasting and boasting when they learn of it. I’m so happy for you.”

She laughed back, the tears that clogged her throat choking a little.She looked at the western skies. “I shall miss you, Stevan.” Yes, so much.

So good. I LOVE the feels.

==​

Wrote this just now. Hopefully, someone likes it:

"It was at that moment that her insight kicked in and she realized that there are some things that you can only guess with your eyes, but know with your heart."

Also, just after, a man is talking about losing his leg through war:

“War is hell,” Calvin said, keeping his eyes focused on his leg. “It takes something away from everyone and sometimes it takes the best things that you have. Don’t ever go to war, Ava, not even as a nurse, civilian or observer. You will see things that will rot all the wondrous secrets of your soul from the inside out."

Last edited:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Picking out my favorite bits. So many shinies on this thread!

Her dark eyes would flash and her face would take a set like a tall ship heading into the wind.
The ship imagery is great; gets the mood across exactly.

“You didn’t wake me, but I’m not in the mood for diamonds and rust right now.”
Diamonds and rust, very evocative of a particular kind of contrast.

He hadn’t come back, not in a coffin, not in a bag.
He and the boys he’d trained with had traipsed in and out of her small apartment and her small life. She’d fed them, encouraged them, told them how big, and strong, and brave they were. She’d laughed and joked with them and then gone alone to her room and prayed for them and cried. Her brother had returned sound of body, but in his eyes she saw the ghosts circling
Nice work with parallelism here (and there's a rhetorical term I'm not coming up with right now ("her small apartment and her small life"), but I like it anyway). And powerful emotional dynamics.

"You will see things that will rot all the wondrous secrets of your soul from the inside out."
Just nice phrasing and great contrast (rot/wondrous).

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Mazarine is challenging the views of a Southern slave-holder. She's pretty adamant about it, and Mazarine gives his own explanation for why:

“Because that’s what you were taught,” Mazarine said, his words low and raspy. “And you chose to believe it.”

We all are shaped by what we're taught, but we can reject it if we choose. That requires a level of self-awareness and courage that not everyone possesses, though.

Matt Walker

Registered
Reaction score
"Did you know 'mother-in-law' is an anagram of 'Woman Hitler'?"

"Is it?" Steele asked.

"Yes. And it's true. My mother-in-law even had a little moustache."

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Character (who was stripped of German citizenship in the 1930s) explains to another why she was not driven mad by discovering preternatural creatures and activities.

“But you know,” Anna said, “after the Germans and what had happened to me, it became clear to me that the world we think we live in, the world we expect, is not what we think it is and it can change quite suddenly. When that happens we can crumble and decide nothing is real, or we can throw ourselves to chaos and say anything can be real. Or we can try to determine what actually is real and true and deal with it with our eyes open.”

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
posted by Alessandra Kelley- we can throw ourselves to chaos and say anything can be real. Or we can try to determine what actually is real and true and deal with it with our eyes open.”[/QUOTE said:
I like the character you have created here and I also like this part in particular. I think it's one of those lines that people can relate to not only in this fictional world but one that people would apply to their own lives. If that makes sense I do realize at times I do not.

Last edited:

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
Sonia an old immortal to VaLee a young immortal
"What if the flesh is a prison holding spirits to this world.Death being the only freedom then is immorality not the curse of a life sentence to hell."

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the work I am editing:

“We must tread carefully,” the captain said. “Night is our mistress, but she can still mean our doom.”

Last edited:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
[context: main character is attacked by a creature known for its leaping ability]

It struck, meteoric. The greenhouse shook; the world’s weight tilted. Alena fought to curl, to kick. That idiot grin bobbed gaping close. Blunt claws scrabbled at her face, her filters, all in a wash of ferment and rot.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Outside, giant solitary drops dive-bombed from the sky and stained the pavement with dark-gray splotches, scenting the air with wet cement.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Oh yeah. Well done with the emotion.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Today my favourite line written is "I haven’t met her, but an old friend of mine once did. My friend didn’t have a great view of her. I think her exact words were ‘if that prophetic bitch ever comes near me again I will rip her eyes out and feed them to her’, but she did agree that Nami’s prophecies always come true."

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this is Okay.
These lines appear in a juvenile, aquatic animals', mystery, written in rhyme. The Eel has been implicated in the murder of a Trout, and, is now on the stand fighting for his freedom. The judge directs a question towards Eel, but, Eel's attorney cuts in, to advise the Eel not to respond.

"Eel, Eel, can this be true?"
"Don't answer, Eel, I will answer for you!
"Futher, Your Honor, I have to insist,
This haggling of Eel is a fish prejudice!"

Haha, this is much better than okay. I'd love to read this story.

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score

Love it. The end of that first para is powerful.

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score
He hustles Andie now, paper-legged, off the ride and straight onto the next one, hustles her past the attendant as he’s crouched over his shoelace because she’s tall for her age but not tall enough for the rollercoaster, and he knows. He knows what he’s doing, just like he knew when he pushed her into the pool last weekend (Beth hauled her out, half-drowned, while he laughed so violently he tipped over onto the grass), and a few nights ago when he wouldn’t excuse her from the table till she’d cleared her dessert plate. Allergies were ‘bullshit’, he said, as if he’d never witnessed her face blow up like a ball, her tongue thicken into her airway. We’re all his punching bags, but Andie’s got the most stuffing coming out.