Favorite lines you've written

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
I just wrote this and it surprised me how much I like it. Two days ago my FMC broke up in bitter fury with the man she was in love with--a soldier in the Maquis during the liberation of France. Now she's just gotten word that his unit is headed north, which almost certainly means battle.

Headed north. She could see it all. She'd thought it would be the worst that could happen—for him to love her and die. She'd known nothing. She could see it now, everything burned to the ground. Her heart a charred ruin and his another; his body face-down in the road.

The little pictures he'd sewn for her hung on her curtain, the crimson accents on them bright as drops of blood. For two nights now she'd turned the light off almost before she was in bed to be rid of the sight. Too tired to dig in the sewing basket for her scissors, to cut them down, maybe slice them up in fury, the Maquis knight and his banner coming apart in shreds of red and black. She hated him. She wished she'd never known his name. God, don't let him die. I'm begging You. I'm begging You. Don't let him die.

HelenaS

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite line of my current WIP thus far:

"This was the woman I wanted. I needed. A siren song in my head. I was her helpless sailor, dragged into her sea. And I’d go willingly, too. Gasping for air as I drowned in her. Waves sweeping me up inside her. Every ounce of my being was drawn to her."

janeofalltrades

Registered
Reaction score
Don't have my WIP in front of me, but one of my favorite lines is

"She looked like a raccoon that was stoned out if its mind. No wonder he was so sympathetic!"

(FMC talking with the MMC over webcam)

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
From my MG fantasy

“You’re welcome.” The Talking Tree smiled a little. “You’re a good witch, girl. I wish you the best for you and your familiar. Good luck and beware. There are big evil gnomes.”

Ollie who had started into the forest, halted. “Did he say, ‘big evil gnomes?’”

“No. He definitely said, ‘big weevil homes’,” Crumb grumbled sleepily.

Ollie looked down at him to see if he was joking, but he had closed his eyes and was resting on her palm, so she turned to the Talking Tree. However, his eyes were also shut.

Thinking the Talking Tree hadn't spoken about giant beetle houses, Ollie continued into the forest.

It actually turns out to be "big weevil homes". :roll: That's why I love MG. You can do silly stuff like this.

DorianFrost

Registered
Reaction score
(From my contemporary fantasy in progress. Sasha was cursed to burn alive and return from the ashes twice a year.)

The fire started at Sasha's core. They gasped - soft, barely audible - and clutched their chest with one shaking hand. The heat spidered outward, like lava in their veins. Sasha's legs buckled under them, sending them crashing to their knees, reaching blindly with their free hand, grasping at the wall, stone shockingly cool under their steaming skin.

A soft keening reached their ears. It took a moment to realized they were the one making it. No matter how many times they burned, Sasha couldn't get used to it.

For agonizing seconds they knelt their, shaking, burning from the inside out, then the flames flowed out from inside. Sasha screamed as they were engulfed.

Then all that remained was ash.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Uh...this one is hard to explain, but the Puppeteer's the bad guy (alien) and my MC is stuck under a house. Sort of.

The Puppeteer. She would control my strings. The aliens would know how to fix this. I had to stay still. Let her find me. Just a lone puppet accidentally kicked under a child’s dollhouse. For a mother to pick up and scold her daughter for being so careless. After, she would put the puppet back lovingly. They weren’t toys; they were collectibles.

Thrix

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno if I have a favorite but generally I love when I don't know what to write for a section and just go ham with ridiculous shit. It's a lot of fun for me to write hahaha!

Augustus studied his plate and groaned at the sight of a piece of lettuce some diabolical force had conspired to place before him. What was otherwise a pleasant view of fried pork and boiled potatoes had now become a realm of evil and horrendous flavors. Worse than that, his eyes also spotted raw tomatoes and cucumber sending a shiver down his spine.

DorianFrost

Registered
Reaction score
Air tore past Sariel and they spread their burned and shredded wings. Instinct. Brutal, futile instinct that did nothing to slow the speed at which the ground rushed up to meet them; only caught at the wind enough to send them spinning as they fell. Blue sky; rocky cliff ledge; hard stone ground; each sight alternated in a dizzying procession. Then came the shattering crunch. Then nothing.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
(Galaxy is a horse).

“Maybe she was just jealous,” I said instead.
He grabbed my wrist to pull me off. “Of what?”
I slid off Galaxy until we were both on the small top step of the stepping stool.
“That you were flirting with me?” I said like some kind of confidence goddess. But he made me feel strong like that. Not like I didn’t want to bite off my tongue for that.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Terrance found a message from his mom who died giving birth to him. The message is carved into a pillar and Terrance wants to carve a message for his mom.

Kaydra nodded. “Of course, Terrance. Anything for you.” She flexed her wrist and large dragon talons formed over her fingernails. “What do you want it to say?”

Terrance honestly didn’t know. Was “thank you” too distant for his own mother? Was “I love you” personal for someone he had never met? Was “I’m sorry” not what his mom would have wanted to hear?

Terrance’s mouth twisted. “I don’t know. What should I add?”

“Whatever’s in your heart,” Kaydra said.

“My heart says…I miss her.” Terrance squirmed. “But I’ve never met her. Is that still okay to write?”

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Lamenting leaving their home.

“I suppose,” he said. “We endured hard times here, but there were good ones too.” A soft breeze stirred the surrounding trees, and a moment later she heard him sigh as it faded away. “Life is like that; a sound, an action, a thought, a memory, that briefly comes then slips away, leaving nothing of itself behind.”

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
The house was quiet as a tomb as he let himself in. He took his shoes off, setting them softly on the mat, then crept up the stairs and down the hall in his holey socks. Sarah had bought his socks – five new pairs appearing in the drawer like magic every three months. With each step, his skin made a sticky-tape hiss as it peeled off the hardwood.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Terrance found a message from his mom who died giving birth to him. The message is carved into a pillar and Terrance wants to carve a message for his mom.

Kaydra nodded. “Of course, Terrance. Anything for you.” She flexed her wrist and large dragon talons formed over her fingernails. “What do you want it to say?”

Terrance honestly didn’t know. Was “thank you” too distant for his own mother? Was “I love you” personal for someone he had never met? Was “I’m sorry” not what his mom would have wanted to hear?

Terrance’s mouth twisted. “I don’t know. What should I add?”

“Whatever’s in your heart,” Kaydra said.

“My heart says…I miss her.” Terrance squirmed. “But I’ve never met her. Is that still okay to write?”

This is lovely, and very nicely done.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Ollie is a young witch who recently found her familiar which happens to be the Sky Beast. AKA The Most Fearsome Creature in the World. She named him Crumb. The Sky Beast has saved Ollie's life and vice versa.

“Are you alright, Ollie?” her mom asked.

Ollie sighed. “Yeah. It’s just—” she nodded to Crumb. “—everyone thinks he’s bad, but, he’s not. Right Crumb?”

“I—” Crumb started, but Ollie wasn’t done.

“You’re not bad and I’m sick and tired of every thinking so!”

Crumb hung his head. “I’ve done some bad things in my life, Ollie. I’ve destroyed lives. Worst of all, sometimes I look back and feel proud of my bad actions. I just need time. Time to change into the familiar you see so clearly in me, okay?”

DorianFrost

Registered
Reaction score
Morgan knelt among the shards and soil, clutching handfuls of it as if he could somehow bring them back together. Mend the shattered remnants. A hand fell on his shoulder and he jumped, petals and bits of clay and dirt sifting through his fingers.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Dystopian SciFi - heroes have discovered a locked vault containing ancient books, and are watching a recording made by the librarian:

“I can’t imagine your world, and so won’t speculate upon it, but I can tell you of mine.” She stared down at something, then pushed it aside. “As a species, we’re in the process of committing suicide. It’s happened countless times before; power-hungry men tend to destroy what they cannot control; it’s a dynamic that wipes out cultures then builds empires upon their scorched ruins. The conquerors then burn history, murder scholars, and wrap themselves in the bloody clothes of their victims and declare themselves saints."

Last edited:

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
He moved sluggishly until a gust gave him a gentle slap in the face. It reminded him of the way ants moved early in the morning, wandering as though preoccupied, until he blew on them so they remembered they had somewhere to be before getting lost in their thoughts once more.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
A soft breeze stirred the surrounding trees, and a moment later she heard him sigh as it faded away. “Life is like that; a sound, an action, a thought, a memory, that briefly comes then slips away leaving nothing of itself behind.”

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
The bathroom walls were stripped away like a banana peel and the tiled floor became blurry until it was sand. The roof slid away, revealing an orange sun and mint green sky. At the bottom of a sandy hill, harshly reflecting the sun, were houses made of either bronze, silver, or gold.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
The bathroom walls were stripped away like a banana peel and the tiled floor became blurry until it was sand. The roof slid away, revealing an orange sun and mint green sky. At the bottom of a sandy hill, harshly reflecting the sun, were houses made of either bronze, silver, or gold.

Love the banana peel bit.

Meemossis

Registered
Reaction score
A plethora of potential partners await a new plaything, and I can’t disappoint them.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
The opening to a short I've been playing with:

[FONT=&quot]She lives inside a sigh. In the hollow boundaried by screaming on one side and silence on the other. Nursed on government blocks of bologna and cheese that said you’re too hungry. Too quiet. Too needy. Weaned on wine of you aren’t enough rolled across the palate, held on the tongue, then swallowed, again and again and again.[/FONT]