The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Hound, that's great! Things are popping here in Hell!*

* For those of us without deals, the popping is the deflation of our hopes, and for those on edge, it's the explosion of our brains. It's still popping.

Forsaken

...Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
In other news...some of you know this already,but I've had some interest, too. It's the kind that involves revising first and no guarantees, though, so we'll see what happens. I'm really excited about the revisions tho and I think my book is going to turn out way better for them, so I'm looking at it as a win/win.

I'm crossing my fingers for you, Deb!!! Maybe then I'll finally get to read your book! ;)

coloradogirl

The poster formerly known as...
Registered
Reaction score
Coloradogirl, you were Blue Rose before, right?

Yep!

Thanks everyone for the congrats! It felt a bit weird to have to wait so long to announce details, but my agent is a cautious one (thus the AW name juggling).

Peggy - YAY!!!! :snoopy:

Hound - and yay for awesome revisions! Here's hoping the interested editor will love them.

(((Tracey))) - oh, man. So sorry for the R, and having to wait longer yet. I've been holding my breath since you went on sub again that you'd get good news this time. Hang in there!

(((lkp))) - heh on the editor suicide pact. During my own dead silence period while on sub, I was convinced all of NYC had fallen into a giant sinkhole and nobody had told me. But the silence from your agent...you can always check in, right?

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your support. I'm feeling a lot more upbeat, and have an idea for a revision that would not be a whole lot of work but could make a BIG difference to the ms. Hoping the agent will agree.

Congrats Houndrat!! Great news!

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your support. I'm feeling a lot more upbeat, and have an idea for a revision that would not be a whole lot of work but could make a BIG difference to the ms. Hoping the agent will agree.

Congrats Houndrat!! Great news!

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Tracy - So so sorry. That bites. What type of revisions you looking to do before next round? Email me if you want to talk through it.:) I'm all ears!

Deb - WOOT - yay good luck with the revisions. I hope this is the one for you. DG is too good NOT to be picked up.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Tracy - I'm so sorry! But don't give up!

Houndrat - that's awesome! Revisions are always challenging...but exciting! The possibilities are endless :)

So it's been a week since my agent sent my revised to the two (possibly three) eds on R1 ... should I start panicking yet? Gah the one thing about sending in revisions is that the wait feels fresh - and freshly excruciating.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Yep!

(((lkp))) - heh on the editor suicide pact. During my own dead silence period while on sub, I was convinced all of NYC had fallen into a giant sinkhole and nobody had told me. But the silence from your agent...you can always check in, right?

*cries* She hasn't answered my last two emails either. I should say, I'm not worried about that --- it is pretty much her pattern when there is no news to report. It does make me a little crazy. But I can call her if I get too frantic. I'm not shy.

...Dare I ask how long your great silence lasted?

*looking for inspiration wherever she can find it*

JennW

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting is just pure torture. Pure. The silence is like death itself, I swear it.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs to Roly, JennW, Tracey and those who wait.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Miss Plum - any news on going on sub? I had a reminder on my calendar to wish you well. :)
Aww, you're sweet. I wish my agent had a reminder on her damm calender to get back to me!!! No, no news yet, even though in her last communication she said she'd like to go out before Thanksgiving. I hope she meant Thanksgiving 2010.

Good news. Can't give you the details until later this week, but I'm super excited!
YOWWW!

Sadly, I am apparently not riding the good news train. Big ol' R for me today. :-(
Oh heck. This is what we called a SPLAT back in The Daily Rejection. But just think -- that was a rejection on a full from an agent. You've moved beyond that, to this circle of hell, where splats will continue to precede happy dances.

coloradogirl

The poster formerly known as...
Registered
Reaction score
*cries* She hasn't answered my last two emails either. I should say, I'm not worried about that --- it is pretty much her pattern when there is no news to report. It does make me a little crazy. But I can call her if I get too frantic. I'm not shy.

...Dare I ask how long your great silence lasted?

Mine lasted 6 weeks. Which I guess isn't all that long in editor-time, but since it came after several editors had expressed interest, I was a nervous wreck by the time I finally heard something again. In my case the silence was only from editors - my agent and I did email each other several times during that 6 weeks. (Mostly for her to say that she'd poked the editors, and heard nada in response, which only make me freak out more.)

Anyway, hope you hear something soon! (And yikes on the agent not responding - but if that's her pattern, fair enough. I admire all of you who are zen enough to take the less communicative agents in stride - just goes to show how important the match in communication styles is. (Thank god my agent is a great match for a highstrung type A person like me!))

houndrat

Pulsating Whatnots Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houndrat.com
Tracy - I'm so sorry! But don't give up!

Houndrat - that's awesome! Revisions are always challenging...but exciting! The possibilities are endless :)

So it's been a week since my agent sent my revised to the two (possibly three) eds on R1 ... should I start panicking yet? Gah the one thing about sending in revisions is that the wait feels fresh - and freshly excruciating.

Well, we still haven't heard back from an editor we sent revisions to in September, if that's helpful (or not?) Lol......

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Agent X says we're going to sub the ms the week after Thanksgiving to an editor who asked her if she had almost exactly what I wrote. It's a digital-first/print-in-stores second publisher, so the book still gets out there. We're still waiting on the big gun, but hope fades every day I don't hear something...

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Sadly, I am apparently not riding the good news train. Big ol' R for me today. :-(

I made the mistake of really building this one up in my mind, so it was a particularly hard fall. BUT...gotta keep moving forward. Looking into doing some revisions before the next round, and resigning myself to the fact that no matter when we sub next, I won't hear anything before next year. That's the hardest part...knowing that I just waited almost two months to hear something, and now I have to turn around and do the whole thing again. UGH. These are the days when I hate my job.

I'm sure tomorrow will be better. :)

Anyway, sorry to bring the party down. I am genuinely excited for all of you with good news. You guys give me hope.

Aw, so, so sorry, Tracy! Sending you triple hugs!!!

Sorry about that, Tracy. If it's any consolation, I haven't heard a word from anyone since Sept. 30. 8 editors still had it at that time. Maybe they all died in a suicide pact, and took my agent with them.

Oh noes! So, so sorry!!! Sending hugs!

YAYYYYYYYYY PEGGY!!! Congrats, and can't wait to hear it!

(((Tracey))) Ugh, that stinks! But you've got the right mindset. The waiting is hard, though!!

In other news...some of you know this already,but I've had some interest, too. It's the kind that involves revising first and no guarantees, though, so we'll see what happens. I'm really excited about the revisions tho and I think my book is going to turn out way better for them, so I'm looking at it as a win/win.

WHOO HOO! That's awesome, Hound/Deb! GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited:

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
OKay, so I have this problem. Someone says "revision", and I get lots of ideas, and I just go to town. Like, REALLY quickly. I have, in fact, been accused of rushing at one time or another.

And I've just done it again. I've sent revisions on my ms to my agent, just one day after we started discussing the need for them. I'm sure it's not an entirely bad thing that I work quickly, but I still sometimes wonder if I need to make myself sloooooowwww dowwwwwnnnnn.

It's just so hard! I get to thinking and I just want to fix the problem right away!! Argh!!

I swear, I wish they made a pill for being patient. I SOOO need that!!

JennW

Registered
Reaction score
Tracy - I need that pill too. I am the same way. One word on revisions and my brain is off and running and wanting to just get it done.

Patience... I have none.

Email is quiet. I keep checking and mentally singing pink floyd "hello, hello... is there anybody out there?"

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick check in.

Houndie - thinking good thoughts!

OKay, so I have this problem. Someone says "revision", and I get lots of ideas, and I just go to town. Like, REALLY quickly. I have, in fact, been accused of rushing at one time or another.

And I've just done it again. I've sent revisions on my ms to my agent, just one day after we started discussing the need for them. I'm sure it's not an entirely bad thing that I work quickly, but I still sometimes wonder if I need to make myself sloooooowwww dowwwwwnnnnn.

It's just so hard! I get to thinking and I just want to fix the problem right away!! Argh!!

I swear, I wish they made a pill for being patient. I SOOO need that!!

Tracy, I always stick revisions in a drawer for a week to ten days, at least, then re-read with fresh eyes. You'd be amazed how much even that little bit of distance can help you see the manuscript more clearly.

~suki

coryleslie

Has anyone seen the sun?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corrinejackson.com
tracythewriter
I've also heard that some agents/editors look down on revisions turned too quickly. They suspect you didn't put enough time and thought into the feedback they gave you. Unless they give you a specific timeline, I would take a couple of weeks. That gives you space to think on it, do the rewrite, let it sit, and then do a fresh read.

Then again, it would depend on how extensive the revisions are, and you would be the best judge of that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.