Israel in Babylon

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Israelites in Babylon

I think this is the appropriate forum to ask this question. My current WIP is set in ancient Babylon just prior to invasion by the Persians. One of my characters is a Hebrew slave in Babylon. Can you tell me what the daily practice might be for the Hebrews regarding worship? In Daniel it appears he was allowed to pray regularly so I expect that would form part of regular worship. Are there any other daily rites that would be habitual?
Linnea

Last edited:

Sempine

Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Daniel was a super person in many respects. His worship practices were most likely in excess of what a typical Hebrew might do. Also, he was one of the rulers of the kingdom--many of the province's rulers reported to Daniel. It was only by deceit that Nebuchadnezzar made his proclamation that resulted in Daniel going to the lion's den.

Having said that, I don't know the answer to your question. Other captive Hebrews were Esther, Mordecai, Shadrack, Meshak, and Abednego as well as Ezra and Nehemiah. Daniel's prayer life was probably greater than any other of that time--maybe ever.

Mac