Idea

ThePrince

Registered
Reaction score
A idea just hit me, and I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to put this (I'm kind of new) but I'd like some feedback/advice.

About 2 years ago a man, we'll call him John, took me into his home and welcomed me into his family, because I really had nowhere else to go and I was in the hospital (thats another story haha). Well this guy John, his best friend for many years was diagnosed with lung cancer, and John made a vow to be with him til the very end. So John follows his best friend..Will..around for about 3 years or so with a video camera, documenting his battle with cancer, his friends buying him a motorcycle, vacations, remission and it coming back, up until his dying day.

John has like 50 boxes full of cassettes that he said I should watch sometime, and I think possibly writing about it would be awesome. Will died a year or so before I met John, yet I've always been intrested in Will.

Well I've convinced myself its a good idea already, but I don't really know how I should tell the story, what POV (myself seeing all of this in hindsight, John, Will, etc.) if I should fictionalize it to an extent, changing some situations here and there blah blah blah.

I guess you get the idea. Any feedback would be appreciated, It still needs some time for me to think about it, get permission from various parties etc.

And I know this is way to big a project for me to take on, at least at this point in my life, and with my writing experiance, but I just really like the idea.

Again pardon me if this is the wrong place to talk about this.

Last edited:

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
Why you? Why doesn't John write the story?

Is there an experience of your own that you can write about or that ties it together and explains why you are now writing it?

Why would someone want to read this story? Is it inspiring or uplifting? What's the appeal?

How would this story differ from the many end-of-his life memoirs that already exist?

These are some sample questions to ponder. Hope that helps

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I think it sounds interesting. In terms of POV, my first thought was tell it as you. You're already an outside narrator so I would think that makes you free to just tell the story.

Good luck.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh--John brings up some good questions to ask yourself, but I love Melanie's post.

You'll be coming into this story the same way we would as readers, so you've got a great perspective with which to begin.