The "Query Letter" Section in SYW Seems to Have Disappeared... (problem fixed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnorth

Gigantopithecus canadensis
Registered
Reaction score
Lesson learned I guess. There are two types of computer users: those who have lost data and those that are going to.

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
Most importantly, are Andrew's stickys able to be resurrected?

ETA: I suppose that the plural of 'sticky' is technically 'stickies'... right? 'Stickys' looks somehow stickier, though.
As CP said, the "How to Write A Query Letter" thread is in the FAQ section and "On Queries and Agents: Information Sources" is in Ask The Agent.

The "Information Source" thread in Ask The Agent has a little more information than the one in the Query Letters forum, so there's no net loss there.

The "How to Write A Query Letter" thread in the FAQ section has a little less information than the one in in the Query Letter section (I added a few things to the one in Query Letters over time). However, I backed up the "How to Write A Query Letter" thread (for exactly this scenario); I think it's on my hard drive at work. Worst case scenario is defaulting to the FAQ thread, which has 95% of the info the QL thread had.

The "How to Write a Synopsis" thread I have in it's original form, also on my hard drive. I never made any changes to it, so that's 100% recoverable.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I tried finding some of the queries using the method from the problem back in June, 2006 - do a Google search for a topic and then look at the cached pages.

I had the same thought. The thing is, because the forum was password-protected, it's not cached and searchable. Which is the whole point of the passwords in the first place, but still, argh.

The "How to Write a Synopsis" thread I have in it's original form, also on my hard drive. I never made any changes to it, so that's 100% recoverable.

And I think that's the only way any of this is recoverable, unless the database glitch misplaced the forum instead of eating it...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:deep breaths: Yes, my post count and rep points decreased. I"m a little woozy, but I think I'll survive. Losing those stickies is a big loss. Im glad that some of them are still there.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Through the efforts and brilliance of Fahim, the old queries have been found and placed in the new forum. I want to thank Fahim and all the mods for their efforts to get query letter hell back in shape.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Trish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
childrens-books-author-p-puddle.com
"Hooray!"

I hope your blood pressure is OK Jim, cos we all need you. I always copy and paste important posts, just incase.

It wasn't even April Fools day! But it was my birthday, and I wasn't even able to come to my play room and play. Boo hoo. I tried all day long. I'm happy it's back though. Thank you to whoever fixed it.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the query letter section is back and in business, both for good and evil. It's in the share your work section (password is "vista" I believe). Take a look, though, read the stickies by Andrew Jameson, and make sure you understand how deep the water is before you leap.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Edited to add: Here are direct links to Share Your Work critique forum and Query Letters & Synopses sub-forum. The password is vista

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.