Medical Necessity

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's too bad I've been fortunate enough to have me and mine enjoy good health overall (<--sarcasm), because now when I need it, I don't have experience to draw upon.

I need a medical problem to prevent someone from doing something they would ordinarily do. Its treatment can't be deferred--it needs attention now--yet it cannot have long-term impact on the person's health. Ideally, it will involve either hospitalization for 1-2 days, or outpatient treatment and bed rest, during which the recovering person really ought not to be left at home alone.

The medical necessity can be for either person of a couple. They are both in their forties. She is a Little Person (dwarf, although I have not yet determined what type of dwarfism she has and may not even get into that). He is of normal stature. Their health is essentially good.

Whatever the problem I assign, it will need to be quickly explainable so I convince the reader (and the cops) that it's legitimate for them not to act, without bogging down the story in anyone's medical woes.

Thanks in advance!

Maryn, who wrote a whole half page yesterday, woo-hoo

Ella

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sumptuosity.blogspot.com
Broken leg
Food poisoning
Pneumonia
Delivering a baby (slight twist to your story, but may be fun!)
Stab wound.

My pathetic ideas before my influx of coffee. Good luck! Let us know what you choose in the end.

Ella

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh, I had to wait nine whole minutes for five solid suggestions!

Food poisoning, that would really work. You're sick as a dog for about a day, as I recall, starting 6-12 hours after you eat the sausage and mushroom pizza from Godfather's Pizza in Austin, Texas in the fall of 1980. (When we called to tell them we'd both gotten sick, they didn't care, so I'm sure they'll be delighted at this plug.)

Thanks, Ella!

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
also.... you can give them anaphylaxis. Severe allergic reaction. I have had it twice and the last one I went into full cardio. It is the one thing that can come from no where, really immobilize your character, and then he'll be right as rain later on.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I recommend acute labyrinthitis. You can't balance at all until the initial infection's gone (a week or two) and then you can use poetic license with the time it takes for the general dizziness to subside after that.
Makes you fall over when you stand up, seasick when you lie down and feel like you're somersaulting when you're sitting. Compounded by heat. All good stuff. Had me off work for three months.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Yes but you're an odd git to begin with 3-7. :D

Eussie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.unendinglove.com
Maryn said:
Sheesh, I had to wait nine whole minutes for five solid suggestions!

Food poisoning, that would really work. You're sick as a dog for about a day, as I recall, starting 6-12 hours after you eat the sausage and mushroom pizza from Godfather's Pizza in Austin, Texas in the fall of 1980. (When we called to tell them we'd both gotten sick, they didn't care, so I'm sure they'll be delighted at this plug.)

Thanks, Ella!

I had food poisoning once and was laid out for a week! (I don't know if that's normal,lol). Try a bout of costochondritits...same symptoms as a heart attack but no long term effects. In a 40 y.o. they might be hospitalized for tests, but then when nothing shows up they will be released.

JanaLanier

Snarling Cur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janalanier.blogspot.com
Cholecystitis (gall bladder infection) -- usually involves 1-2 days hospitalization for IV antibiotics, then if it gets better, gall bladder surgery later on.

Kidney stones are extremely painful, and occasionally the person is hospitalized for IV pain meds and/or treatment of the stones.

Pyelonephritis (infection of the kidneys) might require 1-2 days of inpatient IV therapy.

Achondroplastic dwarves have a high incidence of ear infections -- if one went untreated, she could develop mastitis (infection of the bone near the ear), and then she would need inpatient IV therapy as well. She might also need surgery to correct kyphosis (bowed spine), but that's more involved than a 1-2 day hospital stay.

I can come up with all kinds of different diseases -- if you have any other story requirements, let me know. :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my--this has turned into an embarrassment of riches, idea-wise. I had hoped to find one or two ailments tht fit my needs, and now I have so many good ideas presented that selecting the best one might be difficult.

Thank you all!

Maryn, who only wrote a half page yesterday

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
My husband had an acute gall bladder attack around Thanksgiving and had to have his gall bladder removed. He was able to have it done laparoscopically, so he was only in the hospital for 48 hours and needed a week or so of recuperation time at home.

A gall bladder attack is very painful and usually comes on quickly.

Check out gall bladder surgery or any of the ailments folks listed here online and you'll get more gory details than you ever wanted to know.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Undiagnosed food allergy.

Nothing beats learning you're allergic to clams while having an hors d'oeuvre of clam chowder pre-homecoming dance dinner.

Do not pass GO, head straight for hospital. And on the upside, if you have another reaction to something similar later on, you get a whole new set of tests!