• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Talcott Notch Literary Services

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
I want to leave a note of appreciation for Lindsay Warren, Ms. Panettieri's assistant. She had asked for a few pages. Unfortunately, Gmail changed the formatting on me and the whole excerpt ended up centered (head-smack).

She still took the time to read through it. Not many would.

Am still wondering how the formatting change happened, though.

stanlaurel

Registered
Reaction score
[Agent] Paula Munier

I attended a WD camp with her. She read my first ten pages, said she loved it and requested the next 50 pages. Then-nothing for 12 months. Not even a rejection letter. I guess she wanted me to think I got something for the $189 it cost me?? IMHO, beware.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
In general, I'm very cautious of agents and agencies who appear to spend their time putting on expensive workshops for authors. Even when they frame those as 'helping authors' and 'giving back to the community'. They can mean well, and offer some decent info...but most of that is already available for free, with research. In my impressionable youth I attended some of these. The better ones came across as life coaching, and the worst were openly predatory (pitching paid services.)

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
There are amazing conferences that DO offer Authors and Illustrators a LOT and then there are... the others, that seem little more then a money maker for the person/s hosting them.
As I'm involved in children's lit, SCBWI hosts 1 and 2 day conferences that are always worth the cost of admission and the Agents, Editors are among the best in the industry, there to actually help! The manuscript and portfolio critique's cost extra, attendee's choice but are just that, critiques. The Agents and Editors get the manuscripts sent to them ahead of the conferences and have often typed out their critique or made notes on the manuscript copy or first chapter for novels and you have that to take back with you to go through in depth their suggestions, their praise and their concerns about what they have read. (along with a brief 10-15 min face to face time) What they rarely do is request. When they do, they are actually interested, they don't raise hopes just because the attendees have paid. This often affords an opportunity, when you do get a request, to sub to an other wise Agent only publishing house. That said, there is never a guarantee you will always hear back but most times you do get at least an email rejection and occasionally acceptance.
But, there is another one day writers workshop/agent day I've heard about from disgruntled attendee's. The organizer runs them sometimes twice a month almost all year long and all over the states and into Canada. Observations from these writers (the kid lit ones) that have contacted me are, everyone coming away gets a request to sub more and of those reporting, no one hears back. It appears to be done to keep paid attendee's happy during the event and not a comment on the quality of their work.

For those working in the Adult genre, are there similar Author organizations to SCBWI that offer good workshops and conferences?

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
For those working in the Adult genre, are there similar Author organizations to SCBWI that offer good workshops and conferences?

Yes, though they're generally genre-related. RWA has tons of excellent workshops and conferences, many of which offer pitching opportunities. And for sheer number of easily accessible on-line craft-related workshops, there's no place better.

milkcrepebae

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Any new dealings with this agency? I have a full with Gina/her assistant and am wondering if anyone can talk about her agenting style?

JohnnyCat38

Registered
Reaction score
EQ: 4/4/17
4/6/17: Gina suggested I raise my word count and tone down my scariness level. She also noted that she would be happy to reconsider if I made these revisions.
5/27/17: Upon making these revisions, I submitted my full.

I'm looking forward to hearing from her. Even if she decides not to represent me, this has been a positive experience. She offered me advice she didn't need to offer me. No other agent has ever done this for me. Maybe it's more common than I think, but this is the first time I've encountered such professionalism.

Middle Grade Zombie 42,405 word count

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I also have a full with Gina and wouldn't mind hearing about some recent experiences. :)

Last edited:

SAWeiner

Reaction score
An acquaintance and published novelist gave me a referral to Paula Munier. I queried her in April, 2018, with the first 10 pages of my murder mystery novel. Not hearing from her, I sent a reminder letter in June. Still no answer, although her agency promises to respond. I sent a second reminder in November and finally got a detailed reply from her assistant. The answer was no, of course. The reply email told me that Ms. Munier only represents female driven mysteries and that I need a line edit of my novel. BTW, Munier does line edits for people for payment, although the response did not try to push her services.

So, what to make of all this? Good question.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
An acquaintance and published novelist gave me a referral to Paula Munier. I queried her in April, 2018, with the first 10 pages of my murder mystery novel. Not hearing from her, I sent a reminder letter in June. Still no answer, although her agency promises to respond. I sent a second reminder in November and finally got a detailed reply from her assistant. The answer was no, of course. The reply email told me that Ms. Munier only represents female driven mysteries and that I need a line edit of my novel. BTW, Munier does line edits for people for payment, although the response did not try to push her services.

So, what to make of all this? Good question.

I'd make of it that you need to do another polish pass on your MS. Seriously, that's rare feedback, and it's valuable. 99% of agents won't tell you they're rejecting because there are five grammar errors on your first page--they'll just form reject you.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
Submitted to Paula Munier August 2018. Called it a CNR until an assistant out of the blue asked for a partial in March of 2019. After 30 days, I did send a nudge, and was told I was next on the list, but that was over 110 days ago. Expect a wait with one, I'd say. I'm circling the drain, but this is likely a no at this point.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Paula April 1st and her assistant R'd me on April 4th. Same timeframe Katydid heard from an assistant--if that means anything in context of the long wait times, which it likely doesn't.

I'd say you both made it to Paula's eyeballs, which is further than me. :)

Last edited:

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Got what QueryTracker might consider an actual "helpful" rejection today. Queried Paula Munier Sept. 13 with the first 10 pages, and the rejection came today from an assistant/junior agent, Tia Mele. So, 53 day turnaround.

I'm calling this "helpful" because it said "...The story sounds interesting with a strong hook. However, we found the sample pages didn't draw us in as much as we hoped, and that is why we ultimately decided to pass. ..."

Not super useful as feedback goes, but better than nothing.

Today must also be an email-clearing day for a lot of folks. This is the second R I got today after a long drought or responses.

Corvid

~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm calling this "helpful" because it said "...The story sounds interesting with a strong hook. However, we found the sample pages didn't draw us in as much as we hoped, and that is why we ultimately decided to pass. ..."

Unfortunately this still sounds like a form letter to me. Take the "feedback" with a grain of salt unless they start mentioning actual plot points and characters, imo. Some of them are pretty devious and try to make it sound like they actually read it when they didn't give it the time of day.

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately this still sounds like a form letter to me. Take the "feedback" with a grain of salt unless they start mentioning actual plot points and characters, imo. Some of them are pretty devious and try to make it sound like they actually read it when they didn't give it the time of day.

Not sure devious is really an applicable word in this situation. Do agents/publishers read a synopsis that intrigues them and then know in the first few pages (paragraphs) that it isn't going to be a project they're interested in taking on? Sure. There's nothing devious about that.

Corvid

~
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure devious is really an applicable word in this situation. Do agents/publishers read a synopsis that intrigues them and then know in the first few pages (paragraphs) that it isn't going to be a project they're interested in taking on? Sure. There's nothing devious about that.

I was speaking more in general terms, sorry. This particular example doesn't seem that bad, but I've seen forms where they try to act like they actually read the thing and make the author question an aspect of their writing that's actually fine. It just strikes me as kind of dishonest to make green writers think they actually gave them the time of day when they didn't, you know? Imo a form is a form unless your MC's name is mentioned or specific details of the plot are hashed out.

solstice93

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my! Somehow, I'm completely unsurprised to learn this about Tia. She was rather unpleasant the few times we communicated. Hopefully she takes this as a learning experience.

In general, I don't think this is the most professional agency to work with? Back when I was in the query trenches, these guys played telephone so much, it was like trying to talk to someone from Comcast.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to sling mud or anything. I just saw the name on the thread and was trying to figure out why it sounded so familiar.

MystJade

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking into a new press, Lost Boys, and noticed they had the following on their about page.
"All Lost Boys Press authors are represented by Talcott Notch Literary Services for media and foreign translation rights.
https://talcottnotch.net/