Prizes!

Jakalyn

Registered
Reaction score
rhymegirl said:
How about if a child's initials spell out a sandwich? My youngest son's ititials are B L T.

since BLT's are the best sandwich ever invented, those would be cool initials to have.

Jakalyn

Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
My middle name is Lover.

I thought I was the only one who had that middle name!

15.gif

Jolie

Registered
Reaction score
Midwest, right next door to a pasture of cows
I have a 14 year old son named Xanthe. I read a Peirs Anthony book while I was pregnant and loved the idea of the land of Xanth. Its a place where all citizens are born with a special power and they have 18 years to figure out what makes them unique from everyone else, then they announce it to the town. I wanted my son to have that special direction, the push to find out what makes him special.

My family of course thought I was sentencing him to a horrible fate but he LOVES the name, and so do all the girls at school :wag:

BTW, my daughter's name is Tahni!

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I think those are great names, Jolie (also a great name!). I was fairly conservative when I named my kids, although I studied the Social Security list of most common names assiduously to be sure I didn't choose anything in the top 100. I wanted unique but not wierd. I think I really shouldn't have worried about it. At my kids' school there are so many names from every which source -- Cedar, Hopi, Sierra, Stream, Sedona, Akim, Viesulas, Atticus, Indianna, Finnegan, Nodoka, Soomyung...the kids don't think a thing about it. I think especially as we become more and more internationally diverse, we have a broader sense of what's "normal." I also noticed watching football and baseball lately how international the players' name are. Hideki Matsui is my daughter's favorite Yankee.

"Apple" may seem wierd to us now, but by the time she's a teenager, it will just be another name.

-paprikapink, aka Ellen

Last edited:

Jolie

Registered
Reaction score
Midwest, right next door to a pasture of cows
I agree totally, and what is kinda cool is that Apple will be a normal name to all of those in that generation but names like Thad and Ida, old school names from my great-grandmother's era, will seem odd and different! It's very interesting to observe the way changes in our society can be detected through the names of our kids!

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
Jolie said:
I have a 14 year old son named Xanthe. I read a Peirs Anthony book while I was pregnant and loved the idea of the land of Xanth. Its a place where all citizens are born with a special power and they have 18 years to figure out what makes them unique from everyone else, then they announce it to the town. I wanted my son to have that special direction, the push to find out what makes him special.

My family of course thought I was sentencing him to a horrible fate but he LOVES the name, and so do all the girls at school :wag:

BTW, my daughter's name is Tahni!

I love the name "Xander," from Buffy, but my husband isn't for it at all. LOL!

SueB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writeinmaine.com
poppyhullings said:
It is not. Your full name is Gim Me More. Lover is just your pet name.

Hey everyone! I was just browsing through the prizes for the grand prize winner and it occured to me that I will offer another prize of my own :Smack: for the grand prize winner. I know you will have all that exposure with agents and publishers, etc.
Well, here's the thing. You might run out of material to sell. So I'm offering my best 3 novels, and best 12 childrens' books, and my very top young adult fantasy, along with 20 poems for you to place (for me). I wouldn't want you to be embarassed running out of material too soon. Yeah? :Hug2:

InkSpotter

What a lovely bunch of coconuts!

And the prizes are cool, too.

Betty Dobson
inkspotter.com

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
SueB said:
Hey everyone! I was just browsing through the prizes for the grand prize winner and it occured to me that I will offer another prize of my own :Smack: for the grand prize winner. I know you will have all that exposure with agents and publishers, etc.
Well, here's the thing. You might run out of material to sell. So I'm offering my best 3 novels, and best 12 childrens' books, and my very top young adult fantasy, along with 20 poems for you to place (for me). I wouldn't want you to be embarassed running out of material too soon. Yeah? :Hug2:

Gee, now that's a pal.

Thanks, pal.

:rolleyes:

-pkpk