How To Support AW

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

Buy Scrivener 3 for macOS (Regular Licence)

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Laws regarding Canadian inheriting France property?

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar

Laws regarding Canadian inheriting France property?

Just a quick question. Does anybody know what happens if a Canadian were to inherit French property? Do they have to be a citizen? Are they allow to inherit French property if they are not a citizen of France. I've searched on the web, but I'm not sure how to narrow the search to find what I'm looking for.

Scenario: A Canadian citizen with a French citizenship has died. He leaves his home and property to his nephew, who is only a Canadian citizen. Are there any complicated issues? Money is no object, so taxes wouldn't matter. Just wondering if there are legal ramifications.

Thanks in advance.
    **Pick up my 6th novel, the Young Adult title--- PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE now! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    CHECK OUT LIGHT NEAR THE END OF THE WORLD on AMAZON NOW!

Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!

I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 6 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I don't think it is a problem leaving property to a non-French citizen, but there are some strange laws regarding inheritance in France. You don't get to leave your property with the freedom that US/UK people are used to.

This may help, or at least give you a starting point for finding answer
    http://www.frenchpropertyservice.com...ncelawFAQ.html
    http://www.russell-cooke.co.uk/downl...nheritance.pdf
    Last edited by waylander; 01-29-2008 at 03:07 AM.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2002/12/14/radvice_ed3_.php

http://www.france-property-and-infor...itance_tax.htm

Not exactly what you asked, but pretty much, if you own property in France you have to abide by French property laws - including inheritance - which favors above all, keepin the property in the bloodline.

A Notaire is who takes care of this sort of thing - outside of taxes, (and requiring a visa or citizenship to live there) I don't know that there are any other issues with it.

I know in A Good Year by Peter Mayle - an uncle left everything to his nephew (who was a citizen of England) - all he had to do was make arrangements of the transfer of the property with the notaire.

Thanks much to both of you. These links will really help me out. I wonder if this means the uncle would not have been able to purchase in the first place? I will follow your links and investigate. I really appreciate it!
    **Pick up my 6th novel, the Young Adult title--- PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE now! (LGBTQ Young Adult)

I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet

You can purchase property in france - though he would have had to become a dual citizen or had a Visa to reside both in Canada and in France.

Yes. He became a dual citizen. That's great to hear because I have him living there for the years prior to his death. He'll be happy to know he's there legally. Thanks. (-;

I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet

Too sad for words. reigningcatsndogs's Avatar
    Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you home.
    I checked my bff kathy for ya -- she's a redneck from BC, but she married a French guy whose family owns some big vineyard and cheese factory there. Her husband has dual citizenship, his parents have only French citizenship. They had a son, though, and even though there has since been a very messy divorce, the son has inherited a portion of the grandfather's estate (to be held in trust by the father) because he is the only son of the only son. The remainder of the estate will fall to him when his dad (Kathy's husband) dies (which, according to her, could not happen soon enough, but that's another story). She looked into all this while filing for divorce because she didn't want to screw up the inheritance for her son. The son does not have dual citizenship, but he is entitled to all, and it would just require transferring of title and the paying of any acrued taxes. Hope this helps. If I can ask her anything more, just lemme know.
    If you want a laugh, I'll give you her number because to ask her anything about France will have you in stitches for hours!

That is awesome information! Thanks so much. And thanks for offering to ask her more. This is great.

I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet