An Intro to Pablo Neruda

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
Here are two nice works from him. Not my favorite translation of "Saddest Poem" but more word for word. Note how Neruda uses the sensory to create his pictures. Great stuff.

I'm awaiting permission for use. However, you can find these online at plenty of places. (I'm still convinced it's fair use, btw)

XX From Veinte poemas de amor

I can write the saddest lines tonight.

Unclothed, you are true, like one of your hands,

XXVII from Cien sonetos de amor

Last edited:

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Dawg! Do you think you could add the names of the translators? It's a bit of a hobby of mine to compare translations of Neruda.

I much prefer the Merwin translation of 'Tonight I Can Write...", but no way am I going to get into the old "literal" vs. "poetic" translation controversy.

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
Folks,
It was pointed out to me that the use of the poet's work here might (I emphasize might) be copyright infringement. I think it's fair use, but for the sake of argument and to keep AW on the up and up, I'd ask that you google the title/s I've included and read the poems. Then comment here. Sorry for asking you to jump through hoops.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I rarely venture into the poetry forum, but I love and adore Pablo Neruda. I was once asked to photograph two of my favorite things, and one was a dogeared, post-it noted book of Neruda's poetry. There are too many brilliant lines to post, and I don't know what is considered infringement... But nearly everything of his is worth reading, so just dig in if you haven't already.

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, folks, good news. I just got permission to post Pablo Neruda's Sonnet XXVII for the purpose of discussion here.
Dear Mr. Moss,

As long as Neruda's sonnet is used only in the forum as part of the discussion on his poetry and is not published we have no objection to your proposal. We would appreciate it if you would acknowledge our book, the translator, and the University of Texas Press as publisher.

Best wishes,

Peggy L. Gough
Rights & Permissions Assistant
University of Texas Press
P.O. Box 7819
Austin, TX 78713-7819
Tel(512)232-7624; Fax (512)232-7178
e-mail: [email protected]
Please visit our website at http://www.utexaspress.com

The sonnet is from "100 Love Sonnets: Cien Sonetos de Amor" translated by Stephen Tapscott and published by the University of Texas Press, copyright 1986.

XXVII

Naked, you are simple as one of your hands,
smooth, earthy, small, transparent, round:
you have moon-lines, apple-pathways:
naked, you are slender as a naked grain of wheat.

Naked, you are blue as a night in Cuba;
you have vines and stars in your hair;
naked, you are spacious and yellow
as summer in a golden church.

Naked, you are tiny as one of your nails--
curved, subtle, rosy, till the day is born
and you withdraw to the underground world,

as if down a long tunnel of clothing and of chores:
your clear light dims, gets dressed--drops its leaves--
and becomes a naked hand again.

Last edited:

ddgryphon

King of Sloth Town
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That is so lovely and vivid. I half-way think of the Paul McCartney song "Silly Love Songs" in which he says, "Some people have had enough of silly love songs. I look around and I see it isn't so. Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs. And what's wrong with that, I'd like to know. So, here I go again:" Having read all the sonnets of the contest I see we all have fallen short of Neruda in this respect. He beats us all with a translator tied behind his back.

He begins with a simple assertion that his lover naked is as simple as her hand. Then he beautifully expounds on that (my favorites being "blue as a night in Cuba" which contrasts and makes more complex the lover by also being "yellow as summer in a golden church") She is complex and colorful both day and night--all her beauty is reflected in her hands.

It is truly a lovely work.

(sorry to babble--can't sleep, but so weary.)