Cover of Suzanne Palmer's book Finder

AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Glimmer Train Press, Inc.

Threaded View

I am a pretty pretty flower Galoot's Avatar

Thumbs up Glimmer Train Press, Inc.

I'm curious about Glimmer Train Press, Inc. They're a paying short fiction market, but they encourage writers to enter their contests (for a fee, naturally) by offering prizes that are significantly higher than their normal pay rates.

Regular submissions pay $500 (flat rate).
    Prizes are $1200-$2000 (flat rate).

Their market appears to be subscribers to their quarterly Glimmer Train Stories. I've never heard of it, but that could easily reflect upon my own taste in reading more than it does GTP's value to the literary world. Most of my books have spaceships on the covers.

What are your thoughts on the company and their approach? At the risk of sticking my foot in it, the business model seems suspect. It's an unusual set-up to my way of thinking. But I'm unwilling to judge too harshly because they do pay.

Oh, I'm not planning on entering contests sponsored by GTP or anyone else. The prizes that interest me are the ones you win after being published. If you feel differently about it I won't argue the point. That's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Galoot; 03-15-2005 at 12:56 AM. Reason: To give it a thumbs up
    Okay, I'll stop referencing you in my sig, reph. Happy now?