Your Hair?

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
And this may be just a topic for the women, but who knows.

What would you say if I believed cutting your hair can make a huge impact on your life? Because I do believe it. My hair is very long and unforgiving, and has been for the last few weeks. I want a change in my life, especially in my hair, so, I think I'll feel a lot better if I get the weight lifted off my shoulders... and I mean this literally. My hair is a weight, a big one, and it's dead anymore that it's hard to control. I love long hair, always have, but I need a change. And hair can always grow back..........

Do you believe hair can make a big change in your life?

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
If you donate it to 'Locks of Love' you will make a huge impact on someone else's life, which in turn will make a huge impact on yours.

However, having once cut off a foot and a half of hair, I didn't like the way I looked or how people responded to me then. My hair became even more unruly and was too short to tie back or put in a bun or even braid. So it is long again and will stay so until George Lucas builds a lifesize replica of Canada in South Africa.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Depends how you feel about yourself, and the hair at the time that you cut it.

My last cut, was when I had extremely long locks too. I was feeling extremely low, and I cut my hair myself. At the time I felt, that the hair added to how I was feeling and it was far too heavy. Like you say it was 'weight lifted off the shoulders' and it really was at the time. The hair did make a difference to me at the time, as I really thought that it was culprit for how I was feeling. Now, I don't give attention to it from that perspective. I just cut my hair when I feel like it, not based on my state but, just on the hair itself.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Definitely. I had long hair my entire life then in my mid-20s chopped it off into a pixie. I loved that I finally had a STYLE and it gave me a lot of confidence. I started growing it out after a couple years and now it's back to college-length. I feel very boring now.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
<--- Do I look as though I care much about hair? Only to the extent that mine grows like a weed and trying to keep it groomed drove me nuts, so it is now #2. But yes, it does affect your life. I keep getting neo-nazi groups phoning me regarding membership.

Gina M

A Law-Abiding Chicken
Registered
Reaction score
I've been every color and almost every length - won't go too short. Can a haircut change your life? I think what changes is your attitude. If you're the kind of person who needs to hang onto a certain hairstyle, chances are there are other things that are also holding you back.
Throw caution to the wind and try something new - you'll probably notice other areas improving because of the shift in your attitude, not so much your hair.
Excuse me while I go get a buzz cut.

Gina M (so close)

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Locks of Love is great. I donated my hair right after having my second child. I don't think I can go as short as a Pixie cut anymore, but a Bob is fun to have. I do like having a little length to play with.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I do agree that what your hair looks like makes a difference in how you feel. I love my hair (yes, that's natural curl) but about every 3 years, I decide I'm tired of it and have it cut off. Short, very short, not a bob or a pixie but shaved-around-the-neck-sticking-up-on-top short. I love it for about a year and then I grow it back out. I'm probably 9 months from cutting it all off again. :D

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
<<<---- do I look like I worry about my hair!!!!

Seriously, I like it short, but its a pain the butt to go and get it cut all the time, so I let it grow out. It's well past my shoulders now, is quick to pull back when I have to, I can dress it up, but for the most part, it's easy. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about my hair.

(hmm, after re-reading this and looking at my av, perhaps I should start spending more time on my hair:Wha:)

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
I heard an interview with Lenny Kravitz once. When he first came on to the rock scene he had the most extraordinary dreads ever seen. About mid-career he was sitting around with his friends lamenting the unpleasant place he felt he was stuck in and one of his friends suggested he lose the dreads. He cut them off immediately and felt his life turn around for the better.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Yes, changing your hair can change your outlook on life. I was once in a relationship spiral that I couldn't get out of. At that time I had scads of strawberry-blond fuck-me hair that the psycho in the relationship loved. I went to a barber shop and got a crew cut. Barber must have been 70 years old and he didn't bat an eye. Just got out the clippers and gave me a nice high and tight in about three minutes. Dusted off my neck, took my five dollars, and I walked out into the street a free woman. I grew my hair back, but I never looked back at that relationship.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Cutting my hair often signals that I feel like I NEED a change in my life. Not this last time, though... I was just tired of dealing with SHEDDING. EVERYWHERE. Anyway I went from mid-back to super short (maybe 3 inches?) Some of you saw it. :)

I don't feel like anyone treats me differently at all, but I actually feel better about myself for several reasons:

1) I have a style. Even if I don't fix my hair, it still looks good and I don't have to settle for a boring pony-tail when I'm lazy. So I feel attractive all the time.
2) I feel CUTE. This is actually a big thing for me because I've always been taller than everyone else, and I never got to be the "cute little girl." I was always jealous of the small, petite girls in my class because they got to have more fun and got away with more. This haircut has eliminated my feelings of being big and clumsy. Sounds weird, but true.
3) I feel like this hairstyle is more "me." I always thought that what I was on the inside didn't match what I looked like on the outside. Now I feel I'm closer to matching up. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
If you donate it to 'Locks of Love' you will make a huge impact on someone else's life, which in turn will make a huge impact on yours.

Amen. I've given Locks of Love five or six feet of hair, and I'm about to give 'em another 12". Visit their website and read the stories from the kids who have benefitted from this wonderful organization... it'll make you cry.

Gina M

A Law-Abiding Chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, changing your hair can change your outlook on life. I was once in a relationship spiral that I couldn't get out of. At that time I had scads of strawberry-blond fuck-me hair that the psycho in the relationship loved. I went to a barber shop and got a crew cut. Barber must have been 70 years old and he didn't bat an eye. Just got out the clippers and gave me a nice high and tight in about three minutes. Dusted off my neck, took my five dollars, and I walked out into the street a free woman. I grew my hair back, but I never looked back at that relationship.

And then comes the day when you realize you don't need long hair to say "come f&ck me". That was pivotal in my life!

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
lol, Joe.

I used to have really beautiful hair but now I don't, age has taken its toll. It didn't go some nice spiffy streaky ooohcooool streaks o' white, it's been in a slow ratty decline for about ten years. Just ratty 40% grey. Not enough to go legitimately white, not enough to go back. So now I keep it short, cut it myself, and color it with whatever is on sale. Pitiful. I hate the coloring, but the short is working well.

Back when I was divorcing and still had nice hair I went to a barber and had it all chopped off. It was an emotional thing, I was devastated. Now, for me short is good, then it wasn't.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Yeah, I think hair makes a huge deal. I had hair to the middle of my back for around seven or so years, and always thought it was one of my distinguishing features. Not many guys have long hair that's actually in good shape, and I was often complimented on mine. When I was burned, however, my hair was actually melted into a ball and they had to cut it to just about past my ears. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I'm in the process of growing it back out, and it's already almost to my shoulders, but it can't grow out fast enough for me.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
When I was in my burgeoning rock star phase (which passed after my band got signed, the agent got fired and our project was shelved) I had dread locks inter mixed throughout my long hair -- I originally had hair down to my knees, but a spiral perm gone very wrong altered the length in places.
The shorter strands I braided and let them grow out into the dreads. I wasn't a hippie or a rasta, it was more of a celt thing.
It was pretty cool, actually. By the time I reached 37 I had four, three foot long dreads still mixed in my long hair. They weren't nasty or rumbly, or thick like planks, just two inch diameter ropes adorned with beads and found objects. That's how I was identified, recognized, etc. and after my daughter was born I realized I needed a change. The dreads had been with me for 19 years. Too long. On the summer solstice two years ago I had my husband help me cut them off. It felt amazing!!!!
I wound them up and put them in drawer...I can sew them on a hat if I want to dread again ;)

Follow your heart -- hair grows back.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Jesus, how we, people, all think alike. My hair grows at the speed of light and is long right now. I'm planning to cut it in the next week or so. Cutting my hair symbolizes change with me as well. Gotta get rid of those snakes; I'm Medusa's bro.

Last edited:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Funny how the "little" things make such a dent. Normally I do cut my own hair but about five years ago I treated myself to a real actual hairdresser visit. And my hair was in decline at that point, age 45. I'd always had beautiful, thick hair but by this time it was going to seed and I'd been coloring it at home.

The hairdresser raked my hair through her hands and said,

"It's a good thing you're coloring it. Adds body. If you weren't, you'd have nothing. But I can tell you had good hair once."

I never forgot that. One of those "little" milestones.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Well I had long hair, and it I go so tired of it.. It would get caught in my arm pit during the night. I would end up pulling my own hair and wake myself up. I know it sounds odd but it's true.

I have had med, short and long hair. All I can say from my opinion is a good haircut, gives me confidence, and does influence my attitude. It also has to do with how people react to you.

This past summer I went for hair cut... my hair was chin length. I wanted it styled different but wanted to keep the length. I don't what the hairdresser did, but it was SHORT!!! I hated it. I cried.

However when I went to the beach the next day, some guy I had been talking with for a couple was there and he told me he loved it. It made me feel better. Then my nephew who is very handsome young man told me he thought it was hot.. So I grew to love the cut. My hair is in a similar cut now, but longer and people are always coming up and telling me they love my hair...

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Please understand that this comes from a total male pig POV. But, yes I think a hair cut can change of life, however, I find something incredibly desirable about women who maintain longer hair lengths, and those who curl it, style it, wear pony tails, braids, little bows, clips, or anything that brings out the soft features of the lady. Some short hair looks good on some women, but some women have the "I don't care anymore" short hair and that's exactly what they look like. NOW please read the next sentances with a Antonio Banderas accent, There is nothing more pleasurable or exciting than laying next to a beautiful woman with long flowing hair falling gently accross your shoulders as you make passionate love for hours on end.... Yeah I know bullshit.... (replace hours with minutes or seconds) Suzy, cut that hair damn it.....

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have hair down to my waist and swore I'd never cut it. Then--CHOP! Up to my shoulders.

And it felt AWESOME.

(Once I stopped shaking...)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I cut mine last summer, suzy. After having it down to my belt (again) for years. It was cheaper and easier and I didn't give a damn what I looked like anyway. As long as I didn't scare housepets or kids - I was good to go.

Then suddenly (for reasons not to be named) I decided to care again. CHOP.
I miss my braid but it is definitely a visual improvement (sez me, et.al.) I'll get back to that I don't care place again one day. Then it will be long again.

Last edited:

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I always feel better after I get a haircut, but the last haircut I got was over a year ago, and my hair was beautiful up until a few weeks ago and I have no idea why it started to create a mind of its own. All my life I use to have a pixie haircut, as well, because my mom loved the look on me and frankly, I looked like a boy. I started taking control of my hair and it was all the way down to my butt once, but then I cut it to my shoulders, then it grew out again, and the same scheme went on for years. Now it's long again, and I love the short, severally layered haircuts. Not too short, but not too long either. I don't blow dry my hair, not anymore, and I let the natural wave come to life, but lately it's been screwing me and I'm in need of a haircut. I set up an appointment with a private hairstyliest, and I hope she will help me and work her magic. I was the dramatic bangs!

My hair does need to be long enough though to cover my neck because I plan to get a tattoo on the back of my neck. Not a big one, but I don't want my mom to know about it. I hardly wear my hair up, only when I go to bed, so, it won't be that big of a deal....hopefully!

THANK YOU everyone for your inputs!

Last edited: