Supernatural (Warning: Spoilers)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I liked last week's episode, actually. I was genuinely surprised by death of the girl (by falling on the deer antlers, no less) and then the Lilith reveal. So, while I'm not crazy about the idea that they seem to be resurrecting all of these characters, it was nice to be surprised for once.

Last night's.... was rather dull. But it seems to be setting up some bigger ideas, like Sam re-upping his magical game and this new spell that brings back the dead. They claimed it was a one-time use, but I wouldn't be surprised if they use it (with Death on their side) to bring back characters from the previous seasons to give Sam and Dean an army.

Plus, if this ends with Sam becoming God as I think it will, then it's convenient way for him to clean up all these "nothing makes sense any more" rules and put things as they should be (like souls being able to get into Heaven).

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I didn't dislike the last two episodes. I actually liked last Thursday's episode more than the one with Lilith, because it was something a bit different, with the magic and bringing someone back from the dead that way. I also liked Eileen. I, also, would not be surprised if that spell were NOT a one-time deal.

I wasn't surprised by the gal getting impaled, though I grimaced a little at the ickiness. She seemed pretty obviously off. I wasn't sure who exactly she would turn out to be, but I knew something was up.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Alright! Some progress. Some hint that there's a way to fight Chuck. And I like that it meant going after Michael, because I loved seeing Adam back. I mean, it's a little weak Sam and Dean saying, "Yeah, we're [kinda] sorry about abandoning you." But it was nice to bring that back around. And wow, the actor looks, like, exactly the same. Having Michael on-side gives them some real fire power. Still, ya know. God. Anyone else thinking they will find a way to bring back Lucifer? And maybe they get him on-side, too, so that things are all topsy-turvy?

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Yay to plot progression. Nice twists and turns (and unannounced cameos). Finally, Hell has the ruler it deserves!

Chuck sure brings new meaning to "author intrusion," doesn't he?

And I'm sure it's just me, but...was the new ruler of Hell trying to get Dean and Cas to reconcile?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Did anyone else notice Bobby in the teaser for Jan 16?

This may be simplistic: Since Chuck was "light" to Amara's "dark", and now Chuck is darker than dark, will Amara step into Chuck's original place in the final ep? She's gone independent from Chuck, she's always had a thing for Dean. So if Sam and Chuck fight to the death (back in season 6(?), Death said someday he's reap God), Amara becomes solo God, she undoes all the nastiness Chuck has done. Chuck did tell Becky that her husband and kids weren't dead, they were"away". So Amara could snap her fingers and return everything to the long-ago moment before Azazel killed John and Mary made her deal. John isn't dead, Mary and he still become hunters, but Azazel won't feed baby Sam his blood and Mary won't die that night. Not a reboot of everything, but giving the boys another shot at life.

Of course, Lucifer could return and fight Rowena for Hell, with Crowley tag-teaming her and Lilith tag-teaming Lucifer. At the same time super-PO'd Michael shows up to help Sam beat Chuck with Dean supporting Amara. With Heaven and Hell in a Battle Royale, nothing may survive. White screen. Credits. And a very angry fan base.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Interesting theory. I have nothing against a female God. Having a male God didn't do us any favors. But didn't they say they can't kill Chuck because it would upset the balance and everything would go blooey? (Same reason they couldn't kill Amara.) I'm in favor of them locking him up and Amara taking his place. I think that's what they were hinting at in the last episode.

Yes, I spotted Bobby. Jim Beaver has now appeared in every season, in spite of his character getting killed off several years back.

By the way, where's Jesus in all this? Doesn't he have a say in anything? (It's my personal theory that Jesus is actually the son of Gabriel. Remember, in the Bible it was Gabriel who told Mary she was pregnant. God never actually showed up. So Jesus was a nephelim and the whole religion thing was a Trickster joke that got waaaaay out of hand. After the Crucifixion Michael decreed "No more nephelim" because it got the mud monkeys too heated up. Seriously, I need to lay off the caffeine. :( )

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Gabriel as the Trickster was always my favorite character. What fun that storyline would be! Gabriel and Jesus one-upping each other as father and son tricksters, because Gabriel was so traumatized by whichever demon was squatting on Lucifer's throne and sucking Gabe's blood that Gabe became the Trickster for eternity? Why not? :greenie

Besides the occasional priest or nun, the only mention of Jesus I recall was the Christmas ep with the gods masquerading as suburbanites. When they had the boys tied up and took a tooth from one and a fingernail from the other, they griped about the good old days before 'that Jesus guy' showed up.

InsomniaShark

Registered
Reaction score
I'm slowly dying while waiting for the show to go back to The Empty.

Me and my brother are convinced the black sludgy guy who drew a sweet smile on his face at the end of Season 14 is the real God, and Billy and Jack will need to help him escape The Empty. (Chuck never wanted to be called "God," he's not all powerful, he's not omniscient, he's not "kind" like you'd expect God to be. Chuck is a man-child with horrible writing skills. He must have banished the real God to The Empty somehow.)

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Another intriguing theory. That would fit with the old "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" line. Chuck locked up his sister. Maybe that being from the Empty is their father? This entire show has been built on absent/dead mothers and Daddy issues.

Last edited:

InsomniaShark

Registered
Reaction score
Another intriguing theory. That would fit with the old "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" line. Chuck locked up his sister. Maybe that being from the Empty is their father? This entire show has been built on absent/dead mothers and Daddy issues.

Chuck locking up Amara and banishing the real God (who must have created both of them, i.e. is their "father") so he could be the only "god" makes sense! Chuck seems pretty egotistical.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
To anyone still out there: Supernatural returns to the airwaves tonight for the first of the last seven episodes. This may not be the final finale. Jared and Jensen are already talking about maybe coming back for more at some time in the future. Guess that’ll depend on how well their future projects pan out.

This paragraph may be a spoiler for some people, so either skip or proceed with caution. It’s already been announced Episode 19 will be the season finale, and Episode 20 will be the series finale. Whatever they’re going to do about Chuck will happen in Episode 19. Episode 20 will probably be tying up the last of the loose ends. No idea what that’ll be about. They’d better not kill off Cas, that’s all I’m saying.

Here endeth the spoiler. Here beginneth the speculation. Once the Chuck issue’s resolved, another problem arises: who’s going to take over whatever’s left of Heaven? Who’s going to be the new God?

Not Amara. She doesn’t seem like she’s interested. Maybe that’ll change. Jack? Having limitless power doesn’t necessarily make one suitable to rule the universe, as Cas can attest. Maybe Jack could handle it if he had Cas and Amara as advisors. God by committee. The universe is doomed. There’s also Michael/Adam, who might be persuaded to fill in until something better comes along. No idea where Jesus is. Pulling him out of the hat at this late date would be a cheat anyway.

My choice: Bobby. Give us a God with some compassion and common sense for a change. God’s always been depicted as a cranky old guy with a beard, so why the hell not?

There is one other possibility, one with meta overtones to make it palatable. Chuck’s a creator, a writer. So he got sick of his characters and tried to kill them; he wouldn’t be the first (see: Arthur Conan Doyle). Doesn’t matter. There’s a long tradition, going all the way back to the original Star Trek, of fans taking up the banner after the original creator’s cast it aside. Fans have kept concepts and characters alive along enough to warrant reboots, or continuations in other media. If Chuck gets killed, or walks off in a huff, who better than a fellow writer, an avid fan, to step in and keep the flame alive?

Which means the best possible choice to be the next God would be Becky. She’d definitely guarantee Sam and Dean would both survive and have a happy ending. As long as she’s moved past her Wincest phase…

Yeah, I know. I’ll just see myself out. :gone:

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Pterofan, if any fan should take up the mantle, it should be you.

I finally watched the latest ep. It was cute. Nice to see the boys having a little fun. Interesting bit of foreshadowing at the end (the "telescope").

Challenger007

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but given my devotion to Destiel, that's probably not a good idea.

Dean better not use that "telescope" to peek into women's bedrooms.

I don't know, this is my subjective assessment, but the last seasons of "Supernatural" are already such stupidity. The writers no longer know what to think of. Already all the characters died and were resurrected several times. Of course, we have a habit of watching a series until the end, but few series that have more than 5-6 seasons have a really interesting sequel that makes sense. It seems to me that everything should end on time. It's the same with writing a book. There must be a logical conclusion, otherwise it’s just graphomania.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Unshielded spoilers ahead, if anyone still cares.

I feel like I did. Cas's declaration made Destiel officially canon. :hooray:

I'm not even upset over his ending. His last words ("Goodbye, Dean") were exactly what I always felt they should be.

What upsets me is if/when they do a continuation, they can't bring back Cas because now it would be awkward, especially since Jensen is not a fan of Destiel. Unless they made Cas female, which still means Misha's out of a job. This is why I'd rather see a continuation in comics, where the characters don't age, there are no budgetary restrictions, and two straight, married actors with young children don't have to pretend to be romantically involved.

Side note: the preview strongly hinted they're going to magically pull a solution out of their butts again, instead of something that's grown organically out of the season's storyline, so there's no way to predict the outcome. That "telescope" better be used for something, either next week or in the series finale.

Last edited:

DorianFrost

Registered
Reaction score
Unshielded spoiler and not very filtered exasperation below. Also Dean-critical for anyone that cares.

So they have Cas confess his love to one of the most abusive, sexist, racist, homophobic 'heroes' I've ever seen, then send him to super hell. Lovely. This is one of the cases that lean me in the direction of no representation is better than bad representation. Poor Cas. He really deserved better in terms of writing and dialogue quality, endings, and love-interests. But then, what did I expect? This show has always had it in for anyone from any sort of marginalized group and been rife with abuse apologism. Confirm him as queer (through confessing his love to his straight friend who treats him and his adopted son like shit), and of course he dies.
I'm glad I managed to get myself away from this show being my special interest.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This is the way the world ends...

Here we go, my next-to-last-ever prediction on how the show will end. This week we cover the end of the season. Next week will cover the end of the series. I think I’ve figured out a way that would work to leave it open enough for a continuation, but first we’ll have to see how tonight goes. The show tends to discard its own rules willy-nilly—those writers aren’t getting enough caffeine—so all predictions are subject to change.

SEASON FINALE PREDICTIONS

We already know tonight’s ep is supposed to close out the season. That means the resolution of the Chuck storyline. Who’s left who’s strong enough to take him on? Billie just got hauled off to the Empty. The Entity just wants to go back to bed, so it’s not going to help. Michael/Adam is still out there somewhere, but will he want to get involved? Wonder if Heaven and Hell got Thanos’d along with the population of Earth? I was thinking about Rowena, but if Hell’s gone, so is she. That leaves us with Jack, who’s powerless now. Or is he?

There’s a theory out there on The Webz that Jack is now the new Death, and will be the one to reap God. The writers sort of set this up by having Jack kill that flower in the hideout last week. This makes no sense whatsoever. When Death gets killed, the next reaper to die becomes Death. That’s established. Jack’s not a reaper. There’s no logical reason for him to become Death except the writers got stuck and are just throwing ideas at the wall because the show’s ending so what difference does it make? It makes a huge difference, you guys. If you were better caffeinated you’d know that.

Other Internet theories: when Jack exploded in the Empty, he absorbed all the angels, demons and whatnot who’ve died and gone there, including the original Death. So he’s sufficiently powered up to take on Chuck. Mark Pelligrino’s been floating a rumor Lucifer will return; not sure how likely that is, with his vessel destroyed. Unless he possesses Sam?

And what’s in the church? Might be Chuck. This may be where the showdown happens. Could be Michael/Adam. Could be Jesse the Antichrist from way back in Season 5; that would really be pulling a deus ex machina out of their butts. Maybe it’s Jesus, finally showing up after two thousand and fifteen years. (See previous sentence.) Most likely it’ll be some random character justifying the last-minute change in the rules that made Jack Chuck’s equal. As for that dog in the preview, I’ll bet that’s Chuck himself, keeping close tabs on the Winchesters. Dog spelled backwards is God. Get it? Chuck’s a writer, but he’s not a very good writer. He’s the George Lucas of celestial creators.

None of this matters, of course. Bottom line, it’s got to be Sam and Dean left at the end, saving the world on their own. Everyone else is expendable. That’s why Jack’s still here and Cas isn’t. Jack is the plot’s sacrificial lamb. He and Chuck get into a serious smackdown, and both are destroyed. So is the world. Sam and Dean fade out of existence and the screen goes to black.

To be concluded…

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
That felt . . . not very satisfying.

Many spoilers below.
I mean, it felt like such a :Wha: for Jack to have suddenly . . . stolen(?) . . . Chuck's power because . . . he (Jack) blew up that one time? I just . . . don't quite know how that happened. And there's that new Death for all of five seconds so that they can open the macguffin, and Lucifer and Michael come back just long enough to be killed. None of what happened was character-based or interesting. It was all based on macguffins, whether it be Death's book or that gold blade or Jack.

That being said, I think giving Jack the power of god was a good idea. It just wasn't executed all that well (IMO). It was all really messy, with no real coherent plot or story arc. But that's been true of this show, alas, for a long time.

I will give props to the musical montage at the end. And the boys getting some peace.

But . . . apparently there's another episode? There's a two-hour finale event next week. Everything felt kind of . . . done, though . . .

As the many ellipses above show, my reaction is mostly a bemused shrug of the shoulders. I'm still back with the first 5 seasons, which is where it basically ends in my mind. The rest is messy, uneven fan-fiction.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the accolades, though I don't feel they're deserved. I got more wrong than right in that up there. For one thing, I assumed it would be a two-part conclusion. Now I've got a totally superfluous Prediction Part 2 that I can't even repurpose into an original story because it's too SPN-specific. Rats. I thought it was pretty damn good, too. It would have brought back Eileen for Sam and Cas for Dean, for starters. The grand finale had damn well better give the boys a happy ending, that's all I'm saying.

Next week? Not a clue. I may not make any predictions for next week. Nothing to go on. Unless they want to do time jumps and show how the boys' lives play out. The only other thing I can come up with is Chuck does an L. Ron Hubbard and starts his own religion. I think it's time to give the show a rest.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I thought it was going to be a 2-part finale as well. Yesterday's show was about as good a wrap up as we could've hoped for, given the last 10 seasons. I'm also in the camp of 'The show ended at season 5'.

Maybe next week will pull a Harry Potter and show the Boys' offspring starting out as... hunters? A lawyer and a car mechanic? You got me.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Things that occur to me belatedly in the middle of the night...

So the explosion in the Empty turned Jack into an energy sponge. He's shown sucking the life-force out of random plants, apparently involuntarily. And yet he never sucks any out of Sam and/or Dean, even though he's in close proximity to them for long periods. I mean, drunk on the floor Dean isn't all that different from a plant, if you stop and think about it.

Feh. The show's almost over. I shouldn't be wasting my brain power.