How much to disclose or hide in memoir?

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
When I read memoirs such as Jon Robison's "Look Me in the Eye" or Tobias Wolff's "This Boy's Life" or Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes," I realize that creepy behavior in adolescence doesn't make a person look horrible. It just makes them look human, and keeps the pages turning in the process.

But when I try to write edgy stuff about myself, it's a different matter. This is me we're talking about, and I'd rather stay private. That's a hard position to take while writing a memoir. In my blog entry today, "Too Many Secrets Hide my Spark" I write about a stupid (if not outright criminal) action I engaged in when I was a kid. Ouch, it's really hard to put it out in public. I probably won't lose my job (just kidding), but it's hard on my pride to admit I was a kid.

I'd love to know how other memoir writers and aspiring memoir writers deal with this issue. What is your favorite dilemma about what to reveal or hide?

Sincerely,
Jerry

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
I do not regard my childhood pranks as creepy. Every now and then, a teacher will appear at my events and be critical of the pranks I played on my own teachers.

What would you rather have, I ask?

A kid like me playing harmless pranks or the kids of today, who come and shoot up the school?

That gives most pause for thought. The alternative to pranks like mine is letting frustration build up until something worse results.

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
Let me add something else . . . .

For many years I thought my past was a shameful secret to be hidden. When my brother wrote Running With Scissors I saw an outpouring of acceptance which gave me courage to tell my own story.

I actually talk about that in an interview on Visual Thesaurus and the Backstory blog, here:
http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/backstory/1247/

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I heard an interview with an author/memoirist (don't remember who, but it he was funny) who said his editor told him to skip the victories; if it makes you cringe, it makes readers buy books.

I also read a quote from an author (I really ought to pay attention to who these people are, but again, I don't know. It was someone recently profiled on The Writer's Almanac.) who couldn't write that stuff about his past until he invented a character based on himself. Then, he said, it all flowed out.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The alternative to pranks like mine is letting frustration build up until something worse results.

Actually, I think a better alternative is giving kids constructive ways to express themselves. Pranks are certainly better than violence, but cool projects are better than pranks.

My thought about the pranks you described in your book wasn't "Ew, how creepy" but more "I wish someone had given this kid a better outlet for his creativity."

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
heartandcraft.blogspot.com
Jerry's use of the word "creepy" strikes me as a quickly chosen one meant to comprise anything along the order of ditziness, geekiness, bizarreness, etc. That is, anything "non-conforming" or anything that parents would not condone. Man, am I there with you Jerry. A wooden box perches on the top of a storage unit on the other side of the room I'm sitting in. Inside that box rests all the letters my then-future husband and I wrote during our year of cross-country courtship. The couple of times I've been brave enough to pull those letters out and reread them, I've determined to burn them! They won't self-destruct from the passion contained there-in (neither of us would have dreamed of writing about steamy stuff!) so I'll have to stoke the fireplace to make that happen. No, my reason for wanting them gone is that mine sound so downright giddy.

But ... as the years go by ... I'm thinking that maybe it's okay that I was a ditz during my teen years. A "square" ditz. A clueless one. In fact, there are those who may claim this has never changed!

My experience has been that leaking that silly self-centeredness out a drop here, a drop there, and has been well-accepted by others, and led me to feel more comfortable and accepting of that part of myself. It's getting easier. When I read things like JER and his brother wrote, it gets way, way easier!

I see the glimmer of possibility that I may come to treasure that part of my past, and clips from those letters are likely to end up immortalized in memoir. But not quite yet.

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey, Ice Cream, some of the very coolest projects I've ever heard of are the classic pranks like reassembling a teacher's Volkswagen on the roof of the school, or switching the furniture in adjoining dorm rooms (including the doors) to create mirror image accommodations during the occupants' weekend away, that sort of thing. I'm always green with envy when I read of pranks like that. Even something deviant like setting of a firecracker in the library and getting away with it, or hiding filched dynamite under the family bathtub creates envy. Why couldn't I have ever dreamed up such a colorful prank and recruited a team to pull it off?

Prank/project. The important thing is, nobody got hurt in any of these episodes.

Pranks fend off stuffiness.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
gratuitous vs. purposeful disclosure

I'm keeping this issue in mind as I put finishing touches on my memoir. I consider a couple of things. The most important one is, do I want my kids to read it? This doesn't mean is it unpleasant, or even downright upsetting. It has more to do with, can I turn the experience into something redeeming and extract at least one life lesson from it? My sons have known for years that I was abused as a child, but they've known by me and my husband framing it in ways that help them understand some of my post-traumatic stress reactions (I startle easily, I am afraid to sleep alone, I am afraid when I'm alone in hotel rooms, etc.) and help them empower themselves against abuse.

Beyond that major point, if there's no good reason for telling a story, I won't tell it, no matter how delightfully intriquing it may be. In my memoir I write about the time I stole the flag from the county court house when I lived in Wisconsin during my teen years. I also write about the time I was arrested for disorderly conduct when I was drunk once at age 18. To omit those stories would deprive me of an opportunity to show what I was like during that time of my life, which is important in context of the entire memoir. Am I proud of those things? No, but they happened, and including them adds to the total picture. To me, the point is, what did I learn from them and what kind of person am I now?

On the other hand, if something would hurt someone and the memoir could be just as well written without that information, I won't include it. As it turned out, stealing the flag and my arrest for dis.conduct didn't hurt anyone but me, and they're important for character development, so I included them.

When I started writing in earnest, I made a list of everyone who might read my book, and how I would feel about that. My list includes childhood friends and their parents, teachers who helped me when I was a kid, famous people who I admire like Sidney Poitier, my relatives, my in-laws, kids my boys go to school with and their parents, professionals in my community whom I network with, etc. There's nothing in my book I wouldn't want any of them to read. That doesn't mean it's all nicey-nice. On the contrary, it's more graphic and disturbing than most memoirs. But nothing's included unless it serves a literary purpose or can be used to somehow generate a positive life lesson.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Thanks. I've put a lot of thought into it because the material is so sensitive. If I didn't think it would help lots of people, I wouldn't bother. Since many of the people in it are already very hurt to begin with, there's no point risking hurting them more unless it serves a greater purpose. And of course, all precautions will be taken to avoid identifying some of the characters, not to mention avoiding lawsuits.

About self-disclosure, which is what Jerry opened this thread about, I think the more we share and the more vulerable we are with our readers, the more we give them to attach to and care about.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Understanding more about shame can help write memoirs

I posted an essay today on my blog about a better way to look at shame. I have so much to learn about this emotion, which isn't too surprising considering I've been running away from it my whole life. Now that I'm trying to write my memoir I'm trying to not run away from being me. Check out the essay if you're interested. It's at:

http://memorywritersnetwork.com/blog/good-shame-improves-memories/

Jerry

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Jerry, people usually write memoirs when they have extensive experience with a specific issue, like cancer or being a victim of a crime for example, or because they're famous and the public would be interested in reading about them in particular. What is your memoir about?

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm guessing that most people on these forums strive for or have attained formal publication. There is a vast sea of people who write memoir and lifestory with no thought of readership beyond their immediate family and community. They write to create a written legacy of their lives for posterity. They write for the sheer joy of writing. They write for self-discovery and healing. They write as a testament to faith. I know this because I meet them in classes I teach.

I've begun at least a couple of dozen celebrity memoirs. I seldom read past the middle. Even shocking disclosures generally seem plastic and self-serving, perhaps like the surgically altered people who either write them or commission a ghost writer to make it appear that they did. I far prefer the work of writers like Annie Dillard (An American Childhood) and Haven Kimmel (Zippy) whose narratives of ordinary life are as compelling as the fiction of Sue Grafton or Rosamunde Pilcher.

My mantra: I write because I can't not write. I write for me, and if others read it and find value, that's icing on the cake.

I'll add two more questions for Jerry: Why are you writing, and who are you writing for?

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
What is my memoir about?

Hi Pollykahl,

Thanks for your interest in my memoir. This is a funny question for me to try to answer because right now I've got about 400 pages of notes, most of it trying to pry the story out of my past. I give a workshop on memoir writing which represents accumulated memories as a disorganized pile, like sea weeds, drift wood and dead fish tossed up on the beach of life. A memoir writer is a beachcomber finding the valuable items and organizing them into an attractive product. It's true that for some people life events have provided a sort of "ready made story" but most of us have to pull together the events, find the emotional drivers, look for the links that will transform bits and pieces of memories into something worth reading.

When you asked me "what is my memoir about" I froze up, which is my usual reaction when people ask me about me. My issue with shame, which started this thread is not just about bad-boy things, but about disclosure itself. I've always been reluctant to talk about myself which makes me an unlikely memoir writer or teacher. And yet it is this very issue of clamping up that turns the project of who I am into a mystery that I must solve.

I love the simplicity of your question. My blog is a sort of blow by blow account of my struggle to answer this question. If you're interested in my process, check out my blog. Sometimes I think my memoir will be about writing my memoir. It's one of the most interesting things I've worked on in my life.

Jerry

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
People criticizing pranks

I do not regard my childhood pranks as creepy. Every now and then, a teacher will appear at my events and be critical of the pranks I played on my own teachers.

What would you rather have, I ask?

A kid like me playing harmless pranks or the kids of today, who come and shoot up the school?

That gives most pause for thought. The alternative to pranks like mine is letting frustration build up until something worse results.

John,

I'm sorry to hear some people criticize you for what you did 30 or 40 years ago. The fact that people can judge each other for what they did in their childhood is exactly what makes me break out in a sweat. But as you have said elsewhere, many people feel inspired by your willingness to share. When I read any memoir, like yours for example, I'm looking for deeper insight into what makes people tick. So your disclosure helps enrich my world.

This boils down to a simple dilemma for me or any memoir writer - hiding anything that could possibly be criticized (which I'm really tired of, and probably when taken to an extreme includes everything) or offering the full story, and then dealing with the broad spectrum of reactions that are bound to result (which I started out fearing but gradually am becoming more sanguine.)

Jerry

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
This boils down to a simple dilemma for me or any memoir writer - hiding anything that could possibly be criticized (which I'm really tired of, and probably when taken to an extreme includes everything) or offering the full story, and then dealing with the broad spectrum of reactions that are bound to result (which I started out fearing but gradually am becoming more sanguine.)

Jerry, you are shining a light in a dusty soul cranny I have not visited for awhile. You describe something I refer to as "learning to love myself in spite of who I was." I wish I remembered the occasion on which my lights went on — the big "AHA!" moment — when I realized that at any given time I do the very best that I know how to do. If it looks to others as if I should have "known better," it's because I didn't fully understand what it appeared I "should have" known. Once I understand, I no longer repeat the "error." Having realized this about myself, it was hardly a stretch to extend that understanding to others.

You'll surely not be surprised to hear that when I explain this to most people, they scoff. Sometimes they appear to agree, but their eyes say otherwise.

I hesitate to put that epiphany in writing, for fear of sounding boastful or preachy. That old Inner Critic still breaths fire. My Inner Critic is a stalker. I have an injunction, but injunctions expire. I'd rather feel certain IC has disappeared forever. IC/shame. Aha!

I would not be who I am now if I hadn't begun as who I was then. Maybe it's this process of coming to understand, of learning to love ourselves, that is the "story" you seek. The story of the transition. Maybe, as you say, that's the story of writing the memoir.

Seek on, oh worthy Quester

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Jerry, there are a couple of things I'm not getting. A 85,000 word manuscript is about 300 pages, and you say you have 400 pages of notes alone. That's bigger than most completed memoirs, and it's only notes. I don't understand how you can have a blog about memoir writing and sell workshops on writing memoir when you are struggling with such basic issues regarding shame, disclosure, etc. This is not to judge you or put you down, but in a sincere attampt to understand what you're doing. Have you read the memoirs you've cited above? They're dealing with very heavy issues, and you're describing being challenged by the basics. A lot of us start writing our memoirs and then find out what we're really doing is working through our feelings about things that we've done or that were done to us. It's a wonderful process of self discovery and issue resolution, but writing is a business and that kind of writing is usually not going to result in a successful product. I've seen a lot of your posts on this site and most of them refer readers to your blog. Now I'm wondering, are you promoting yourself as a memoir expert who is selling your blog and memoir workshops, are you actually writing a memoir, or you writing to resolve personal issues? Again, this is not to attack, but to understand what you're doing and where you're coming from.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Jerry, Have you read the memoirs you've cited above?

Yes.

They're dealing with very heavy issues, and you're describing being challenged by the basics.

Two separate thoughts in one sentence. Yes, many memoirs deal with heavy issues. I love reading memoirs, and learn a lot about writing memoirs and learn a lot about life.

Yes, I'm challenged by self-disclosure, shame, memory, and crafting story. These are some of the most exciting challenges of my life.

A lot of us start writing our memoirs and then find out what we're really doing is working through our feelings about things that we've done or that were done to us. It's a wonderful process of self discovery and issue resolution,

Bravo. Keep it up!

but writing is a business and that kind of writing is usually not going to result in a successful product.

True. Not every memoir writer will end up published. This is the nature of the writing business. A few successful ones rise to the top, a vast majority meander more towards the middle. I'm okay with that. It's part of the challenge of striving for excellence.

I've seen a lot of your posts on this site and most of them refer readers to your blog. Now I'm wondering, are you promoting yourself as a memoir expert who is selling your blog and memoir workshops,

I'm proud of the essays on my blog, and think they would be informative for many people who want to write about life. Otherwise I wouldn't be writing them. I don't know what you mean about selling my blog. I don't make a cent from it. It's free for the taking, and I have no ads on it.

are you actually writing a memoir,

Chipping away.

or you writing to resolve personal issues?

Absolutely. Writing about life is one of the most therapeutic activities I've found, with or without publication at the end. These are two separate issues.

Again, this is not to attack, but to understand what you're doing and where you're coming from.

Thanks for asking. I hope I've explained my position more clearly.

Jerry

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
Polly and Jerry, it seems to me that many aspiring (aspiring to mainstream publication, that is) writers run workshops or courses, and Jerry's blog seems along that line to me.

I never took or taught such courses myself but I see them.

As to the disclosure . . . the feedback I get is overwhelmingly positive. I get a few one-star reviews on Amazon, but they don't trouble me. People at events are particularly nice, especially when I remind them of my eggs and my size. So if my story is any guide, you don't have much to fear.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
If the goal of memoir writing is publication, then memoir authors should be prepared to reveal anything/everything about themselves which is relevant to the specific story they wish to tell----no matter how "bad" it might seem. (Or "good.") The key thing to determine what you need to filter out of your story (or filter in) is relevance to the narrative you're creating from your memories. If something is relevant to the narrative, include it. If it isn't, don't.

I know that might seem oversimplified, but it is probably the most challenging aspect of memoir writing. Nobody wants to read a memoir about how perfect, non-flawed of a person you are. But many people will want to read a memoir about someone who had an absolutely horrible set of personal flaws and/or life circumstances and then overcame them.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Disclosing is a many dimensional project

While shaming, anti-social experiences are a good challenge, they are only one of the things to decide whether or not to include. There are so many different parts to disclose. Like for example, since John Robison is in the thread, look at John's use of technology to create pyrotechnics. I love seeing technology in a memoir. I can't remember any other memoir that even touches on this topic. It doesn't seem like he's taking a risk by disclosing it, does it? It's kind of cool.

But for me, "admitting" to a technological mind is a big deal. I've worked with technology my whole life, but until this moment have never talked about it. I have a degree in physics, and spent much of my life in technology fields. I worked on nuclear power plant design trying to prevent the pipes from shaking loose in an earthquake, and then I worked in image processing to guide cruise missiles find their targets by matching the image stored in the computer, with the image taken by the camera. Then I worked at Intel, helping to design a video compression algorithm that competed with mp3. And I worked in medical imaging, at the University of Pennsylvania, programming computers to take better three dimensional images of body parts.

So what does any of this have to do with disclosure? It's the first time in my life I have ever publicly "confessed" that I'm a techie. You're the first to know. Thanks John Robison. You've taken the lid off, given me permission to admit I have a technical mind.

So why on earth would I be secretive about my technical past? It's all based on some underlying growling fear that people will think I'm weird or different or boring, or that with my passion for math in my younger days they will think I can't possibly know anything about the human condition. (And for several decades of my life they would have been right.)

And the more I look head on at the fear, and the more I disclose in my writing about myself and my writing about writing, the more energized and excited I am about researching all the information about this life of which I have been the protagonist, and organize a readable (and perhaps dare I say publishable) story.

Jerry

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
Jerry, the world is full of tekkie people. I also designed the power transformers to run the ground zero test trailers at out last major underground nuclear tests in the 1980s. Designed lightning supression for the firestorm of lightning that comes after nuclear blasts, too. I did lots of unusual stuff.

I say go for it.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Yes, but will tekkie sell?

Jerry, the world is full of tekkie people. I also designed the power transformers to run the ground zero test trailers at out last major underground nuclear tests in the 1980s. Designed lightning supression for the firestorm of lightning that comes after nuclear blasts, too. I did lots of unusual stuff.

I say go for it.

That's wild! Obviously, your technical interests didn't hurt your booksales. But publishers are known for not wanting to break too far out of the mainstream. I'm curious how your agent and editor felt about including this techno-material, considering that you have more technology in two pages than I found in the 100 memoirs I see on my shelves. (Well, 99 anyway. My reading pile includes a copy of Uncle Tungsten, a scientific memoir by psychology popularizer Oliver Sacks.)

Jerry