Sorry for this, bit of a rant, but can anyone explain this?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Why is it that people feel the need to comment about you loudly and in public? I mean, complete strangers, when you're just walking down to the shops, shouting out things like 'OMG You're f***ing ugly' and such likes? Do they think I don't realise that I'm ugly? Perhaps all the mirrors in my house broke when I looked into them, and so I need to know before I inadvertantly stray into a place designated for beautiful people only? What reaction is this supposed to produce? I mean, do they want me to break down into tears and collapse in the middle of the street, or say 'oh, thanks for telling me, I'll make sure I only come out under cover of darkness next time'?

If it was just schoolkids or drunken morons who did stuff like this then I could ignore it, but since I moved to Glasgow I've had this sort of thing from older people, as in pensioner-types, and quite well-to-do, non-chav-looking people too. I'm the first to admit that I am ugly, I've been aware of that for a long time, but what the hell gives these people the right to speak like that?

I am sorry to have a rant here, but I can't decide if I'm upset or just, as Scarletpeaches would say, effing angry.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
And you have every right to be. That's disgusting behavior and I'm so sorry that you have to endure that.

Sometimes I hate people.

Amended, most times I hate people. That's why people I like and love are worth their weight in platinum.

I wish I could say something more inspired, but rant away. People suck.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
As an incredibly ugly indeyebidual I could not agree more or less-to tell you the truth-shit I hate having to say that because it is indicitive that under normal circumpectications I am BSing-however I glory in my ugliness-I have the good fortune to not only be reallly ugly but rather brutish so that most if not all people refrain from commenting because I scare them to death-so I think it would be advantageous for you to be even uglier-scare em-it is fun to boot-love and good ugliness-Dave

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
It takes a small person to build themselves up by the belittling of others, and anyone who does so is not worth considering in the least. Don't believe them. Don't listen to them. You're opinion of yourself is the only one that truly matters.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Jess, you have your photo on your profile.

You are not ugly. Please stop saying that you are. If you won't stop saying it, why do you expect others to?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Davids, your description of yourself reminds me of a passage in one of my all-time favorite books - The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie.

... Rayner could have swathed himself in shimmering silk and put an orchid behind each ear, and nervous passers-by would still have paid him money first and wondered afterwards whether they had owed him any.

You're a dear, whatever you look like.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear.

In Victorian times hydrangeas meant perseverance. I think you should have some flowers today.

lacecap_hydrangea_bluewave2.jpg

:Hug2:

Reaction score
Why is it that people feel the need to comment about you loudly and in public? I mean, complete strangers, when you're just walking down to the shops, shouting out things like 'OMG You're f***ing ugly' and such likes? Do they think I don't realise that I'm ugly? Perhaps all the mirrors in my house broke when I looked into them, and so I need to know before I inadvertantly stray into a place designated for beautiful people only? What reaction is this supposed to produce? I mean, do they want me to break down into tears and collapse in the middle of the street, or say 'oh, thanks for telling me, I'll make sure I only come out under cover of darkness next time'?

If it was just schoolkids or drunken morons who did stuff like this then I could ignore it, but since I moved to Glasgow I've had this sort of thing from older people, as in pensioner-types, and quite well-to-do, non-chav-looking people too. I'm the first to admit that I am ugly, I've been aware of that for a long time, but what the hell gives these people the right to speak like that?

I am sorry to have a rant here, but I can't decide if I'm upset or just, as Scarletpeaches would say, effing angry.

Any Weegies present will have my arse for this, but here goes - this is why I prefer Edinburgh. "All fur coat, nae knickers," they say, but there's at least a veneer of respectability there.

Course, some would say the West coast doesn't put on a front, is more honest, tells it like it is. While that's true in many respects, there's no excuse for being crude, or rude, or insulting.

I used to get insulted all the time when my skin was at its worst. When I wore glasses. When I wore baggy clothes to hide my figure. Before I started looking after my hair. And Jesus, it hurt. Even now someone only has to make a slight, passing comment about my physical appearance and I crumble inside. I feel ugly again.

But make no mistake - you are not. They are. The ones who think they have the right to even have that thought about you, let alone voice it - they're hideously deformed in the truest sense. And they're unhappy with themselves, so they project it onto you.

They are the ugly bastards here, and if you want me to come round and shit on their carpets, I'll do it. Just let me stock up on Ex-Lax. They won't cross you (or me) again.

:rant:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Wait -- I did just peek at your profile. What are they on about? That's just stupid. Don't let morons wear you down.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Would you like me to teach you the art of the Glesca' kiss? Yup - even for the ill-mannered pensioners. It's best delivered to the bridge of the nose, and don't forget to take off your glasses first.

They are the ugly ones - not you.

Reaction score
BTW, just peeked at your profile and you're about as far from ugly as Graham Norton is from butch.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, how awful. What a bunch of pigs. So sorry you have to listen to that.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Jess, for crying out loud, I too just looked at your pic.

What kind of eye doctors do they have over there? Clearly these people need help, and in more ways than one. As was said above, they're the uglies, not you.

You look a lot like one of my nieces, actually, and she is beautiful. So are YOU. Great galloping galoshes.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
That is so bizarre. What kind of people are they raising over there? Hasn't anyone ever heard of common decency and respecting others?

I have never in all my life heard anyone make comments like that outloud.

We usually do it in hushed giggles after the person passes.

(And I too looked at your profile. Those people are on crack.)

Reaction score
Jess, for crying out loud, I too just looked at your pic.

What kind of eye doctors do they have over there? Clearly these people need help, and in more ways than one. As was said above, they're the uglies, not you.

You look a lot like one of my nieces, actually, and she is beautiful. So are YOU. Great galloping galoshes.

1) Beer goggles. Everyone in Glasgow is drunk.

2) As someone who had her annual contact lens check-up today, I can say this: according to my optician, my eyes are fine. Which means I can once more say with all authority: Jess, you are NOT ugly.

scarletpeaches, perfectly-sighted (when she has her contact lenses in).

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
You are not ugly, no way, not a bit, not a drop so stop thinking and saying that - please. People with shitty, dull, unimaginative, grim, pointless lives sometimes feel the need to open their big in-bred moronic cake holes and try and bring everyone down to feel as miserable and useless as them. Ignore it, feel pity for them, imagine their tears of self loathing dripping into their pot noodles at night when they are all alone, knowing that even Jeremy Kyle would reject them as below pond life level. Use them as cannon fodder in your writing.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
:eek: Thank you everyone for the support and compliments. I don't really know what to say other than thanks. I'm just so fed up of this nonsense and it has only started since I moved up here. London, I think, tends to go more with a 'stare straight ahead and don't make eye contact or god forbid, vocal contact with anyone else' attitude so no one ever bothered with me down there.

Scarletpeaches I hadn't really thought about the East / West thing but, no offence meant to any Glaswegians around, I have noticed a kind of general air of bad manners here, as in people shoving you out the way to get into the bus first or just blatantly queue jumping, leaping into your private conversations etc. I guess I just don't understand why people can't leave other people be.

dolores_haze, yeah the temptation to give them all a Glesca Kiss was there, believe me!

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Jess, I understand how you feel.

Very recently, I had to deal with a guy right behind me during musical rehearsal getting out his phone, calling somebody in the room, and loudly making fun of my frizzy hair. And I flipped.

You shouldn't have to deal with jerks like that, and I'm so sorry. Those people are disgusting. You aren't.