What boards do you want in the religious section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
OK, now I can't find the thread where someone (Nicole?) asked for more options in the religious/spiritual writing arena.

I just made it is own category, with Christian and Pagan as two sub-boards. (Is "Pagan" an appropriate category?) What other boards do we want in this section? Who writes religious/spiritual stuff that's not Christian or Pagan?

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Depends what kind of spiritualism you mean by, er... spiritualism. Strictly speaking, metaphysical spiritualism should fall under this category, even though it doesn't necessarily pertain to any religious beliefs. So spiritualism should really be its own subcategory. If you see what I mean.

Deleted member 42

Technically, I suppose Pagan should be either Neo Pagan, or the increasingly popular Earth Based Religions. Maybe there are some Neo Pagans who have an opinion; I know terminology can be a Big Issue.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions, but cool splice work, Jenna! :Thumbs:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that terminology can be a big issue, especially since the term "pagan" can be insulting when uttered by a Christian. I’d prefer simply "Christian" and "Non-Christian".

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Christian and Non-Christian could work until there are a lot of posts.

If there is no financial/bandwidth difference, then I suggest the following more elaborate sections:
Christian,
Jewish,
Eastern (for Buddhism, Taoism, Islam),
Wicca (which is an accepted encompassing term for man subsects according to my research)
Mythological,
Astrological,
Spiritual,
and
Other (so no one can really feel left out)

But thanks Jenna for asking for input.

:Sun:

CindyBidar

Has nothing clever to say
Registered
Reaction score
Snarzler said:
Eastern (for Buddhism, Taoism, Islam)

I'm nit-picking, I know...but Islam has more in common with Christianity and Judaism than with Buddhism and Taoism. Chistianity, Judaism, and Islam are all monotheistic (sp?) religions with shared histories.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Three: Correct. You don't matter. :tongue

No, really-- I'm not trying to make boards for every conceivable permutation. I'm just trying to find out which boards would actually be popular among our members. That is, do we have any writers here who write Jewish material? If not (or just one or two), no point in me creating a board for it.

So, my question for everyone is really: What do YOU write that you'd like me to add a board about? (Not just "what other categories are possible?")

Three: If there are at least two other people who would contribute to a "metaphysical spiritualism" board, I'll add it.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
please don't forget XTheNavigatorXism. It's huge in China. :ego:

Other than that, Christian/Pagan is a good choice I think. Maybe an 'other' so agnostics like myself won't whine too much about being left out.

While someone above mentioned some Christians utter the word 'pagan' as an insult, I think it's appropriate to point out some pagans do the same for the term 'christian.' I don't think that's nearly as insulting as "Christian/non-Christian."

Last edited:

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Jenna: You're missing my point. I merely stated that spiritualism does not equal religion.

There are plenty of people who write about mediumship, angels, OBEs, soul travel etc., without any reference whatsoever to religion, denomination-specific or otherwise.

All I'm saying is, if you're going to split 'Religious And Spiritual' it should include the 'Spritual' and not just the 'Religious.'

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
XThe NavigatorX said:
While someone above mentioned some Christians utter the word 'pagan' as an insult, I think it's appropriate to point out some pagans do the same for the term 'christian.' I don't think that's nearly as insulting as "Christian/non-Christian."
Oops. All I was trying to do was avoid labeling everyone not Christian as heathen. I'm agnostic myself, so I'll slink out before I ignite something. Sorry. :gone:

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I'm with three-seven. Terminology-wise. A writer can go very deep into spiritual topics without ever touching a particular religion.

-pkpk

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
How 'bout "Specifically Christian" and "Other"...

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do think a sub-board designated as "other" would be good. Folks could then discuss whatever spiritual belief they are writing or wondering about that isn't specified in the other sub-boards.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
JennaGlatzer said:
OK, now I can't find the thread where someone (Nicole?) asked for more options in the religious/spiritual writing arena.
You did it! Yayyyyy! Happy happy!

I just made it is own category, with Christian and Pagan as two sub-boards. (Is "Pagan" an appropriate category?)
Speakin' only for m'self, now, it works for me. Useful umbrella term for a whole host of religions covered by magazines like newWitch and Pangaia, etc.

The only snarl that comes to mind is, some folks might consider their writing "New Age" but not "Pagan". Not everyone writing for Magical Blend, say, would want to catagorize their UFO or Angel stuff as "Pagan." But shelving "Pagan" under "New Age" wouldn't quite be right either--bookstores do that all the time, giving the unsavory impression of "Here's the Religion section with all the valid religions, and then here's the New Age section where we put all the crackpots, witches and cultists." Bleach.

Maybe we should just wait and see who posts what where, or requests what subforums be added...

What other boards do we want in this section? Who writes religious/spiritual stuff that's not Christian or Pagan?
Just based on what I've seen on magazine racks, "Jewish" and "Buddhist" subforums might thrive...

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
More details

And now that I've actually bothered to read the whole thread (sorry)...

Caopaux: While there are those who may use such terms as an insult, you might be surprised how many people self-identify as Pagan or Heathen (myself included). They'll also point out that the terms are not in and of themselves insulting, aside from having begun as the Roman Empire version of "country hick". ;)

Snarzler: "Wicca" is a term that encompasses many denominations of Wicca, nothing more. If you want a board that encompasses Wicca, Asatru, Druids/AFD, OTO, Temple of Set, Erisians, Voudon, Santeria, Ifa, Golden Dawn, non-denominational witchcraft, &etc., you're better off using the term "Pagan." Well, except the Asatru prefer to be called "Heathens". "Pagan/Heathen/Earth-Based Spirituality" might be the most encompassing set of terms, if you want to get really crazy about it.

I agree with the need for an "Other" subforum, in addition to whatever other subgenres Jenna decides on. "Other" would be exceedingly useful in providing a place for folks to post if their religious/spiritual subforum doesn't exist yet. If enough of a certain population shows up in "Other" it ought to be relatively easy to create a new subforum and move the threads over (she said naively).

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
"other" works for me as I encompass a bit of Wicca, Druid, and Buddhism. I'd like to have a place to go and hang out that has that much relaxation and without hatred.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna

I like the sections (as they are now) of Christian, Pagan and Other.

I honestly don't think there are enough would-be regular contributors who need more than that. And I'm happy to go through all three threads each time to make sure I'm not missing anything!

Nicole, as I'm barely acquainted with some of the religions and spiritual beliefs mentioned, I was not trying to define them but merely suggest how to put them into typically recognizable categories. I meant no offense, nor assumption of surity.

I'll put the thesaurus down now. ;)

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
No offense was taken, no assumptions assumed, and no rebuke intended. I wuz jest tryin' t'be informative. :)

By-the-by, did you change your screenname appropos of recent revelations on the PA thread? I didn't realize screennames could be changed.

Deleted member 42

Heathan is the Germanic equivalent of the Latin derived Pagan.

Pagan, from paganus, came from a root that, initially referred to plots of farm land, but quickly evolved to refer to those people who lived on the plots--and outside the city walls. From that it evolved to mean those who weren't Christian.

Heathan is cognate with heath; it meant those living on uncultivated / untilled land, and from there evolved to mean practionaers of the the old religion/non Christian.

I'm skipping over several centuries here folks.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Nicole, AFAIK you can't change your own username. I think the only things regarding log-ins that one can change by themselves is their password and contact email.

Regarding me, I had already registered both Snarzler and Alphabeter on these boards. After PA let me go and I "came out", I needed (and asked) Jenna to delete Alphabeter and then change Snarzler to Alphabeter.

Jenna is such a wovey owner that way. :Hug2:

FreeSlave786

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering ...

I asked this on one of the other threads, but didn't get a reply.

Since there isn't a thread for Muslim writers - and I'm not asking for one - just wondering if there are Muslims somewhere on this board? Enough to warrant a thread/topic?

I ask because I've had a hard time trying to find Muslim markets and I don't know if I'm missing important info or it's just that the markets are rare :(

I'd also be interested in finding out if other-faith markets would accept articles from a Muslim point of view - articles that might serve to expose Islam more and break down some the barriers of hostility that exist ...

PS Jenna, I was a away for a few days and just noticed how well your blob-line has bloomed! Wowee :) Way to go! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.