• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

L. Perkins Agency (Lori Perkins)

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! He always seems lovely on the twitters.

He was lovely over SKYPE also. Of course, I'm in the 'honeymoon' period, but some things are hard to fake: genuine, frank approach to business; complete engagement and passion for my voice and future projects. I had several offers, but on balance Leon was the best fit. I have to work with human beings, people I can see myself having a long-term business relationship with. Plus, he has a really cute cat. Did I mention that? lol

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
He was lovely over SKYPE also. Of course, I'm in the 'honeymoon' period, but some things are hard to fake: genuine, frank approach to business; complete engagement and passion for my voice and future projects. I had several offers, but on balance Leon was the best fit. I have to work with human beings, people I can see myself having a long-term business relationship with. Plus, he has a really cute cat. Did I mention that? lol
Lol, he sounds perfect. <3
If I was ever to be on the fence about two agents, I suspect that having a cute cat would totally make the decision for me.

Last edited:

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Does Leon respond to all fulls?
I'm asking because he's had my full for two months, which is okay, but on Query tracker it shows that he has requests from 6-12 months ago that have no response listed- not closed, just not updated. I'm just wondering if I can expect to hear back, and, if so, how long he typically takes? Thanks so much!

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
You may be in for a wait. Others who are clients can speak for more knowledgeably, but Leon does tend to amass a pretty substantial backlog of full requests, so it can take some time for him to get to them. He's a good agent, but be patient if you've got a full with him, it may take a while.

rocoroca

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, he's had my full for almost 8 months now, so it's probably best to settle in for a long wait :tongue

gabi.pit

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think that a follow up nudge would be okay after 10 weeks from subbing the full or is it just too soon? I got no response when I sent the manuscript, so I’m actually wondering if the agent got it at all. You know, typical nerves …

Last edited:

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
The first thing I would do is check what responses look like on Querytracker so see if the agent has a typical response time. But, in my opinion, ten weeks is also okay for a nudge. The default is three months, but you're close enough?

gabi.pit

Registered
Reaction score
The first thing I would do is check what responses look like on Querytracker so see if the agent has a typical response time. But, in my opinion, ten weeks is also okay for a nudge. The default is three months, but you're close enough?

Great idea. Many thanks.
Best wishes.

gabi.pit

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've just read it.
Only wondering what now, because she is the agent I queried.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Yeah, I've just read it.
Only wondering what now, because she is the agent I queried.

I'd give her a month or so to get settled in, then re-query and explain that you'd previously queried her at L. Perkins. And keep an eye on her Twitter feed and/or website in case she says something about people who'd queried her while she was still at her old digs.

gabi.pit

Registered
Reaction score
I'd give her a month or so to get settled in, then re-query and explain that you'd previously queried her at L. Perkins. And keep an eye on her Twitter feed and/or website in case she says something about people who'd queried her while she was still at her old digs.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, but wasn’t sure if it would be a good approach. Thanks for this. I really appreciate it. :heart:

gabi.pit

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, a looong time later - the summary:
04.24.2018 - query to Latoya C. Smith at L. Perkins Agency
05.16.2018 - reply from Latoya C. Smith asking for the full manuscript; the manuscript sent
07.09.2018 - Latoya C. Smith leaves the L. Perkins Agency
07.24.2018 - A follow up sent to Latoya C. Smith
No response from L. Perkins or Latoya C. Smith until today.
Isn't it at least customary to say "No thanks" after asking for a full?
I wish you all best of luck with publishing your book!

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Alas, the 'no response' seems to be industry standard now.

The Perkins Agency is one that I kind of watch for entertainment value, with no further intention of querying any past or current Perkins agent. Since 2009 I've seen or heard or heard about too many incidents--that could charitably be called 'shenanigans'--centering around Perkins alumni.

I'd say you might have dodged a bullet.

Edited to add: I looked at the LCS site. I'm very cautious about agents who also offer developmental editing services. It can be done well if there's no overlap.

Last edited:

gabi.pit

Registered
Reaction score
It really seems that I’ve dodge a bullet. Thanks for sharing.