• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

L. Perkins Agency (Lori Perkins)

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com

Another

Forever Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for Updates

Thanks for updates.

Jeanne, your post sparks with spunk. Will check your blog.

Speaking of blogs, Lori Perkins has an excellent one (Agent in the Middle). Gives a good sense of her likes and personality, key stuff in fashioning a query, I believe. As well, she is clearly knowledgeable and experienced on how the burden of effective marketing falls on the author, somewhat contrary to discussion elsewhere on Cooler about marketing as mostly in the publisher’s court. See her Jan 17 07 ramble, "To market, to market …"

Another

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
She also recently posted on her blog that the agency is about six months behind on queries and the like.... JR requested a partial from me in September '06 and still no word, FWIW. I'm not holding my breath.

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
She also makes it clear on her blog that her list is full enough that she doesn't "have" to take any new writers on. So you really, really have to be good to catch her eye.

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Anyone dealt with Lori Perkins lately?

Hi Everyone,

I just got a request for a full manuscript from Lori Perkins and sent it off. Wondering if anyone has dealt with her lately or knows much about her? She sounds great, so I have high hopes, though it sounds like she takes a while to respond.

Just Me

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has dealt with her lately or knows much about her? She sounds great, so I have high hopes, though it sounds like she takes a while to respond.

Just Me

She's totally legit, if that's what you want to know. I'm waiting for my partial rejection (after a five month wait) from Rappaport since she just blogged she rejected a bunch of partials.

If you snag Lori herself, you're money, baby.

(but might as well settle in for a long wait. have you visited her blog?
http://agentinthemiddle.blogspot.com/

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. That's really interesting since Folio was only formed four months ago. I wonder if things are not going well there.

Maprilynne

I think they've been going for longer than four months. (But I'm not positive.)

Anyway, they seem to be doing fine. Laney Becker, their newest agent, just sold my book in a pretty good deal. :)

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maprilynne
Hmm. That's really interesting since Folio was only formed four months ago. I wonder if things are not going well there.

Maprilynne

I know Erin Cartwright-Neumenata (I can never spell her name without it right in front of me) went there from Avalon. I met her last year and she wanted me to send her the book I was writing, but then she went to folio and now doesn't rep romance. Just my luck. *le sigh*

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Lori's the one who requested my full manuscript, but said that it would take her a while to read it because she is swamped. I'll be waiting with my fingers crossed!

I hope your partial wasn't one of the ones rejected! I know how THAT feels. (-:

What genre do you write in?

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shufflingandmuttering.blogspot.com
For those of you who have queries with her, be patient. I queried back in September 2006 and just received a request for a partial.

Same thing happened to me. The rejection showed up pretty fast, as only rejections can. Her assistant was nice, though, he said the book could do very well with the right agent. Pleasant of him to say so.

...still didn't mean it wasn't devastating and what not.

NCRomanceWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I guess this means they are looking for clients, or just this particular agent? This is from Jenny Rappaport's Blog. an agent with L. Perkins. I got it as a forward through one of my RWA groups:

Finally, I'd like to extend an open invitation to all the Golden Heart finalists out there that happen to read this blog... if you're nominated and haven't yet queried me, I'd love to see what you've got. I also want to congratulate the inspirational category finalists, but I'd like to remind them that I'm not the right type of agent to query for their work. So basically, Golden Heart people, shoot me an e-mail, and we'll talk. No guarantees or anything, but I'm interested in seeing what your novels are like.

baileyday

Registered
Reaction score
Lori Perkins

I know Lori personally. I met her at San Diego Writer's Conference. She was excited about my work and asked me to send it to her--which I did.

After about a year of endless emails with no response she asked me to add 100 pages to the novel--that it was too short.

I spent six months adding about 100 pages. Again, endless emails with one final response . . . too busy.

I honestly don't know what happened here. She never read the material she requested. Maybe I'm the only one that this has happened to.

Anybody else have a similar experience?

Shel

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Shel -- my gut reaction here would be the fact that she probably really enjoyed your writing but her current workload would prevent her from repping a writer that took six months to add 100 pages. In the world of rewrites, time is of the essence. This is not a criticism of your writing speed, just a reality check. I was asked by a major pub for revisions that were very extensive and given six weeks to complete them and resubmit. They didn't offer a contract, but it was a great writing experience. My entire life went on hold.

Agents will look for this ability in a writer because I think that what was asked of me is pretty darn common.

Just my .02 cents. FWIW.

J.

baileyday

Registered
Reaction score
That makes sense. I also had another agent from Writer's House who wrote a two-page letter asking for revisions. I worked on it night and day and had it done in just over a month. Basically the same result.

I think what happens is agents get excited about the writing/book, but by the time they get back to the rewrite enthusiasm for the project has dwindled. Very difficult for them to get that back.

Thanks for the feedback.

Shel

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Shel --

I wouldn't sweat the R's. You have agents that are interested in your work. Even though it's a nay -- you obviously have what it takes. Query wide and query many. It's just a matter of time.

Best of luck.

J.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I think what happens is agents get excited about the writing/book, but by the time they get back to the rewrite enthusiasm for the project has dwindled. Very difficult for them to get that back.

I've had four suggestions for rewrites, and not one worked out. The only thing that got that old enthusiasm back was a contract from a publisher.

baileyday

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've got several agents looking at it now, but I've been here before.

Time will tell.

Astro

Registered
Reaction score
I recently got a delayed query response (nearly 7 months) from Jenny Rappaport's intern- request for partial. Not expecting anything soon though with their backlog.
As for Russell Galen, he forwarded my query to Ann Behar and i got a response in about 4 hours requesting full (middle grade manuscript)
Fingers crossed.

LBW66

Registered
Reaction score
I recently got a delayed query response (nearly 7 months) from Jenny Rappaport's intern- request for partial. Not expecting anything soon though with their backlog.
As for Russell Galen, he forwarded my query to Ann Behar and i got a response in about 4 hours requesting full (middle grade manuscript)
Fingers crossed.

I have a snail mail query out to Jenny Rappaport - was her request by mail, email or phone?

Also, I had the same situation with Galen - Ann Behar requested a full same day and passed with a form email a week later. Hope you have better luck!!
-Laura

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Nienna, I wouldn't go by what time responses other people are getting. I'm sure not everyone gets a quick rejection/acceptance. So just wait out the standard time (about two months I believe) before you click away on the send button. Good luck though!!

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Nienna, I wouldn't go by what time responses other people are getting. I'm sure not everyone gets a quick rejection/acceptance. So just wait out the standard time (about two months I believe) before you click away on the send button. Good luck though!!

Thanks. I'll do that. :)

Astro

Registered
Reaction score
Laura- Jenny Rappaport's request was via e-mail (from her intern's e-mail addy which was unknown to me until then) I nearly didn't open the e-mail. I thought it was spam as there was no mention of Jenny or the ms title in the subject line.
Thanks for the luck on Ann Behar. I'm not counting too much on that one but there's always hope.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious, why are there so many posts about Galen in the Perkins Agency thread? :) The two are not related.