• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Axelrod Agency (Steve Axelrod)

TherapistWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnaglaser.biz
I've searched the Index and couldn't find anything on Steve Axelrod or Axelrod Agency. Publisher's Marketplace and P&E indicate good things but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with this agent.
Many thanks!

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
He represents a friend of mine. First tier agent. Great guy to work with. Intelligent. Supportive. Wise. Market savvy.

lmharmon

Registered
Reaction score
romance

He reps a friend of mine, and she said he's the best agent she's had. She writes romance. Does anyone know what else he reps?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note that, in 1994, Steven at The Axelrod Agency joined with Damaris at The Rowland Agency to form the Axelrod & Rowland Agency. Sales reports use various combinations of these names.

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard he's pretty good too. He reps Julia Quinn, at any rate, which is pretty good. :)

Beware_of_Italics

Different from the rest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stuffandnonsense-auntkristin.blogspot.com
This afternoon I mailed a query to The Axelrod Agency, but also there's a different address for The Damaris Rowland Agency. Since these two were merged, should I send my query to only one of these addresses at a time? Personally, I would think so but would appreciate input from others. For now I'm playing it safe and am only sending to the one.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
never posted my response time.

query with SASE on 2/20/08.

form R on 3/28/08.

good luck!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I snailed both a query on the same day. Very different agencies, IMO. Results:

Roland mailed query 6/24 - partial request 8/11 - partial rejected 8/18
Axelrod mailed query 6/24 - rejected 7/5

Good luck!!

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I got a full request from him off my query, but pulled it from consideration when I accepted representation from another agent. He sent me a rejection letter after the fact. ;)

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Italics,

Just wanted to add that even though I snailed my query, the Damaris Rowland agency got back to me via email. The partial request came from her assistant (King). You can check that agency's thread for more general info.

MagicProduct

Registered
Reaction score
More response-time data, from Dec/Jan:

snail mail query ---> request for mss = 6 weeks
mss mailed ---> form rejection = 3 weeks

Weirdly (to me), this was all conducted through the US Mail. I think I even (accidentally) shorted him a SASE when I mailed him the full mss, but he still sent me a final paper rejection, on his own dime. So that was nice, I guess.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Steve is a terrific guy. He's a member of my local RWA -- roughly once a year, he does an agent Q&A program in which he basically answers questions about the industry, his take on things in the business, and agenting. I think he reps Christine Feehan.

eurodan49

Banned
Reaction score
What can I say? I’m impressed by Steve’s reply time. I sent a query in this morning and, one hour later, got a request for the full… I’ll let you know how this turns out.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Eurodan, nice! Congrats and good luck! Did you equery him? I thought he only took snail mail queries?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In 2005, Steve answered my e-mail inquiry within two days by requesting a synopsis and first three chapters to be e-mailed. He followed that in two weeks with a request for a full printed manuscript via U.S. mail. I sent, and within a month, he rejected with a personal letter of encouragement.

To me, dealing with the Axelrod Agency was a positive experience in professionalism and courtesy.

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
Eurodan, nice! Congrats and good luck! Did you equery him? I thought he only took snail mail queries?

Me too. Did you query him via the email address he has listed on AgentQuery?

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Steve Axelrod was the very first agent to request a full from me (ten years ago) and the very first encouraging rejection I ever received (the novel was so NOT ready for publication; he was right to reject). I have fond memories - so I thought I'd cast another positive vote for him. :D

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
AQ page says he does not accept email queries... This must be a new development since some of you say you queried via email.