• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Changeling Press, LLC

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Indeed, that much I knew ;)
BTW they seem fine, no negative press many happy authors--although they rejected my book :(

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
Indeed, that much I knew ;)
BTW they seem fine, no negative press many happy authors--although they rejected my book :(
Heh. "They must be legit cuz they rejected me". ;)

Dare I admit that perusing their site this morning woke me up quicker than my coffee did?
wink3.gif

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Well, on the plus side they're still around from 2004-2005.

Negatives (for me only, Your Mileage May Vary): shorter works, not very strong sales during a spot check on Amazon, several stories had reviewer caveats of 'sexy, but not much story', and covers that range from okay to awful (bad CG rendered figures with too-smooth textures and constipated-looking faces.) The writing samples that I saw were adequate, and in keeping with the rest of what I'd noted: short, spicy, very trendy (the same aliens, weres, and vamps that show up in other e-rom presses), but not a lot of room for sweeping storytelling or plot beyond the sex.

If your friend writes stories in their 'style' I'd say go for it until you hear otherwise.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Filigree.
He's written 3 (or 4?) stories between 15 - 20k, which are mainly sex (MM and MF). I thought the one I read was pretty good when he asked me to Beta (MF) From what I gather they're like little glimpses, fantasies, situations where his characters do otherwise 'forbidden' or taboo acts (but not the icky ones, we're talking adultery).
I'll pass on the info.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Well, on the plus side they're still around from 2004-2005.

Negatives (for me only, Your Mileage May Vary): shorter works, not very strong sales during a spot check on Amazon, several stories had reviewer caveats of 'sexy, but not much story', and covers that range from okay to awful (bad CG rendered figures with too-smooth textures and constipated-looking faces.) The writing samples that I saw were adequate, and in keeping with the rest of what I'd noted: short, spicy, very trendy (the same aliens, weres, and vamps that show up in other e-rom presses), but not a lot of room for sweeping storytelling or plot beyond the sex.

If your friend writes stories in their 'style' I'd say go for it until you hear otherwise.

From a reader perspective, I agree with a number of your negatives. The prices seem kind of high for the length of the stories (I paid $3.99 for an 8,000 word story--which, kind of ironically, was much more "plotty" and worldbuilding than sex. Go figure) and the covers are really not appealing.

On the other hand, the writing itself was good and appeared well-edited (the first I credit to the writer, who I'm a fan of). Also, Changeling appears to have a quick turnaround, so once you're accepted you start seeing your books for sale--and getting royalty payments--fairly quickly. And that quick turnaround probably explains the cover art.

There are several other erotica publishers who take novella length work and may have better sales (Ellora's Cave comes to mind), which is something to consider, too.