Kind of for fun- kind of for research...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I had sunscreen in my (peremptorily disqualified) bottomless first-aid kit.

tfdswift

Hillbilly Queen
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is...

My hubby and I know how to live completely off the land. We did it for four years back 13-14 years ago. I just was wondering what most people think they need to start with to take on such an endeavor. All of this info is very interesting to me and helpful in a side project I am working on.

~~Tammy

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
I'd much rather the limitation was "twenty pounds" rather than "twenty items." I'll bet you all care, too.
icon10.gif

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
LOL Well, I also have lived off the land. The 20 items is a bit trying as in --ok you can't take a camp kit with you (dishes and such), or it would not allow my animal processing stuff as each item would count as one thing.

What would you take with you? (or what did you have?)

Shawn

tfdswift

Hillbilly Queen
Registered
Reaction score
First Draft

This is the first draft of my list - but I may still change some things...

Bow - I'm not sure about this one. I know how to make one. I will make the
arrows.
Survival knife
cross cut saw
5 gallon bucket of various seefds
5 gallon bucket of seed potatoes
Rooster
Hen
Pregnant cow
Bull
Pregnant horse
stallion
Pregnant pig
Boar
covered wagon
500 feet of nylon rope
canteen
sewing kit
lg cast iron pot
wilderness survival book
lg cast iron skillet

~~Tammy

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I'm reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder "little house" series again with my second daughter. We're right at the point where they loaded up the truck and they moved to Beverly, Hills that is. No, I mean South Dakota, and it's a wagon, not a truck. Anyway, it's along the lines of this thread. No one toeld them they could only bring 20 items, but they only brought what fit in the covered wagon. They didn't bring nails, for instance, because Pa could make "nails" from wood. But they must have had a shovel with them because one of the first things they do at a new homesite is dig a well (bet he dug a potty too, but Laura is too genteel to mention that).

This book is the really tragic one where the white settlers move in and the local natives spend days debating whether to kill them or move.

Meanwhile, did I miss the answer to my question -- do the dog and cat count as family members?

-pkpk

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
We did this with the Boy Scouts one summer. We built a wood box the size of the typical wagon they used to go out west. Then told them they could only bring what fit in the wagon or could be attached to it. (We put it up on blocks the same height as wheels would have held it--cattle could be tied to it, or pull it. No bulls. Have you ever tried to handle a bull? Or a stallion for that matter?

We divided them into groups and they had to fit it all in. We had boxes (with labels on them, like seeds and so on, and pots and pans, and toys and all sorts of things--many needed, many not.

One group managed to fit it all in or on the wagon. Others didn't.

Makes more sense that you would be given a weight or size allotment rather than an item count. Such as the wagon or the hand cart (many settlers went out west with a hand cart)--than what you can carry.

tfdswift

Hillbilly Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Actually...

Yep handled a bull and a stallion I lived on a totally self-sufficient farm, with the exception of electric (we paid the local company). Hubby did also have a job away from the farm. What we didn't have we bartered for with local people. I shopped maybe once every six months and that was for luxuries like chocolate and spices that I did not have growing in my herb garden.

I actually think it would be harder to guide the pigs.

You can also barter in this instance, you just don't know what other people would take.
Someone mentioned mending... I would use strips of leather or sinew. You can make needles from bone.

Plates and dishes would be the absolute least of my worries in this situation.

~~Tammy

tfdswift

Hillbilly Queen
Registered
Reaction score
A change

I think I will switch the bow for a flint. Just because building a fire with a bow and drill is extremely hard.

~~Tammy

Status
Not open for further replies.