• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Newbie questions for published authors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Jnaxyc said:
And now, perhaps, you'll ask Jaws, in a professional capacity, if he believes that Trident's or William Morris' waivers 'screw' writers.
I believe he just answered that.

What are the odds that a plant or shill from Trident or William Morris is trolling this board?
Frankly, I'm beginning to rate them higher and higher with every technique we've seen such people use in the past that you now use. Including insulting those who ask who you might be to give expert opinion, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask of someone who is claiming to give expert opinion. I do note, incidentally, that you do not deny being such a person, and instead try to redirect our attention. So I'll ask you flat out: Are you now or were you previously connected to William Morris or Trident in any way?

Jnaxyc

Registered
Reaction score
Aparecium!

Aparecium! :Lecture:

Hmmm. Rats, that didn't work.
All I see is teasing.
Insults must be somewhere
though ... otherwise why all
this poisonous hostility? :Wha:

And confusion too! :Huh:

When did I claim to give an 'expert'
opinion? I think I even said 'humble'
opinion. :confused:

And suspicion!

Hmmm, never suspected that teasing
Aconite and declining to submit to
a poisonous review would result in
such suspicion. :gone:

Maybe Aconite's just no fan of
mystery?

Yikes! :scared:
Confusion, suspicion, unsavory accusations!
Shills and trolls and plants, oh my!
Bogeys for sure!

:guns:

Riddikulus, I say! Riddikulus!

(Sigh. Best offer a serious comment too or I'll find myself in real trouble when it comes to poisonous plants. I have seen the waivers used by William Morris and Trident. Do I work for them? Or have I ever? Nope. Do my agents work at WM or Trident? Or have they ever? Nope. I cannot, however, state definitively that I won't be able to find some (horrors!) connection if we start playing seven degrees of separation with a Kevin Bacon twist)

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Jnaxyc said:
(Sigh. Best offer a serious comment too or I'll find myself in real trouble when it comes to poisonous plants. I have seen the waivers used by William Morris and Trident. Do I work for them? Or have I ever? Nope. Do my agents work at WM or Trident? Or have they ever? Nope. I cannot, however, state definitively that I won't be able to find some (horrors!) connection if we start playing seven degrees of separation with a Kevin Bacon twist)

Jnaxyc, we've experienced many such intrusions before, so we tend to become suspicious when certain claims are made or other information is not freely offered such as one's own qualifications. You've already observed since your entrance that Jaws is an attorney who is well qualified to speak about intellectual property.

So, belatedly, welcome to the board. Have a look around, but don't be too alarmed if the inhabitants tend to view you with suspicion. It's not meant to be personal.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for answering the question, Jnaxyc. Forgive me for nitpicking (as Dave and James mentioned, we get cynical here fast), but while you state neither you nor your agents work for WM or T, you did not actually say you had no other close connection, such as being related to the owners or someone who is employed by them, or if you benefit in some way from an association with them. I do like precision.

Last edited:

Jnaxyc

Registered
Reaction score
Help with spells! ;)

To: "Hermione" <Hermione@addydeleted>
Cc: "Absolute Write Water Cooler"
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 4:05 PM
Subject: Trouble with Aconite / Spells

Hermione --

Tried Riddikulus spell just like you said -- twice! Used very clear, firm type and even added a nice purple for emphasis. But no go. Bogey problem still there and I think there's a Snark situation developing now too!

Advice?

Jnaxyc

To: "Jnaxyc" <
Jnaxyc@addydeleted>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: Trouble with Aconite / Spells

Jnaxyc,

Did you laugh when you cast it? I did tell you, it's crucial to be in the right sort of frame of mind. Laughter should do it.

Really though, you should get back to work and stop fooling with silly horticulture projects. I will say though, I like the idea of purple. Rather a nice touch.

H

PS -- If the laughter doesn't work, have you considered pesticide?

To: "Hermione" <Hermione@addydeleted>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 4:20 PM
Subject: Trouble with Aconite / Spells

No, no. Pesticide won't do at all. I suspect this Aconite to be a person, not a plant.

I didn't laugh when I cast the spell. I confess -- he was being so silly, I was actually beginning to get a bit irritated. Now, goaded on by a few posts giving him an excuse to act 'cynical' and behave badly, he's continuing the silliness and the bad behavior.

He wants me to give him some sort of disclaimer that I have "no other close connection, such as being related to the owners or someone who is employed by them, or [someone who] benefits in some way from an association with them." I'd give it to him just to stop the prattle, but then I suspect he'd come back with another requirement.

Something along the lines of "Wait, you suspicious person who I'm going to treat badly just because you won't tell me all the details of your life! Tell me, you suspicious person I can be cynical of and treat poorly because others have excused my behavior ... tell me ... have you EVER passed a person on the street who works with William Morris or Trident? Hmm, HAVE YOU?! I do like precision."

Kind of poisons the atmosphere of the board for newcomers when folks behave like that.

I'll try the laugh though. Thanks!

Jnaxyc@addydeleted>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 4:25 PM

A person! Someone from the Spanish Inquisition? We had news here of a few remainders, so do be careful!

Really, though, if your suspicion is correct and Aconite is just a person, I wouldn't bother with the spell. He may be acting like a Bogey, but he's likely just a silly muggle. Have a laugh and humor him. If he keeps it up, ignore the poor bloke. Really, he likely doesn't know better, and you do have more important work to attend to.

Now, if he's from the Inquisition, well, that's another matter entirely. Do let me know on that count.

H

Last edited:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
And yet you still haven't answered the question.

Jnaxyc

Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

AHEM! :Lecture: deeeep breath

I, Jnaxyc, hereby state for all the sillily suspicious, cyncial and posionous plants inhabiting this board (or humans as the case may be) ...

that I have no close connection to William Morris or Trident;

I am not related to the owners of William Morris
or Trident [:roll: ];

I am not employed by William Morris or Trident [:eek: ];

I do not benefit in any way from any association with William Morris or Trident [:Shrug: ];

and as far as I know, if you can think of anything else, I ain't that either (unless it's complimentary ;))

whew! :faint:

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Jnaxyc@addydeleted>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 7:22 PM

When you're being hounded and all else fails, casting an "Ignore" spell will dispel the unpleasantness.

You're right--newcomers are sometimes pounced on, but you'll find there are some decent folks here. Take a look around the cooler. Other forums are friendlier than this one.

Welcome. And thanks for the laugh.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
See, folks? I brought out the best in Jnaxyc just like I do in others by telling him about how the inhabitants here behave. Okay, except for Brady. I take no responsibility in what came out of him recently. ;)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Despite the antics of a recent vistor, we know by other means that both William Morris and Trident (New York, not Washington D.C.) are decent agencies.

I wouldn't want anyone to draw unfavorable conclusions about those agencies based on the nonsense that person posted.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the answer, Jnaxyc.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I thought Jnaxyc was funny.

Now if he/she will just tell me his/her blood type and provide three character witnesses, I'll even be nice. :tongue

Jnaxyc

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks brinkett and Jenna

But, I suspect that my welcome's been worn out given Dave's and Jame's posts.

True, I can't be sure James was calling me a moron or suggesting that I've given William Morris and Trident Media Group bad names because I responded to silly accusations that I was a troll, shill, plant, or worse with silly rejoinders ...

but I suspect he was.

And to think this all started because I posted positive comments remarkably similar to ones others on this board, including James, have made in the past about WM and Trident.

James, Dave -- I'm sorry I seem to have upset you, and perhaps I'll post more on that count later. But for now, some thoughts in a more serious vein, since responding to silliness with silliness seems to make one a moron here.

1) Yes, it is personal. When a person makes valid comments on a board and then is treated to suspicion and smacked with thinly veiled accusations that they're a troll, shill, plant etc. ... all because they declined to give their full name and full credentials identifying them for all the world on an Internet board ... that's personal.

2) When a person new to a board offers opinions -- not particularly radical ones either -- ones even regular posters like James have made before -- and then experiences hostility from people like Aconite ... there's VERY LITTLE incentive to reveal identity and whatnot and better reason not to.

3) When you tell newcomers to expect suspicion and cynicism -- even though their comments did NOT warrant suspicion and simply because they decline to give their names on an Internet message board -- yes, you are in some ways excusing behavior like Aconite's.

I accept the explanation of the cynicism on this board, I understand it, to a point. But, in this case at least, my opinions about William Morris and Trident were not so far out there that Aconite's behavior could be explained by 'cynicism.' Offering past instances where people's comments warranted suspicion and the resulting cynicism doesn't fly for me.

Why?

Because that kind of response is like telling newcomers, "Well, some of us may attack you if you say the sky is blue. We've had bad experiences in the past. Don't take it personal though. But you should know, even though I once said the sky is blue myself, I'm not going to tell that poster accusing you to stop the silliness, because, well ... I understand how he might be cynical and attack someone who says the sky is blue without giving their name and creds."

And if you're not so sure that your comments did act as an explanation that in some ways condoned Aconite's behavior, consider this -- Aconite DID indeed take your comments as license to continue his poor behavior. He did take those comments as an excuse and even used them in his next post.

4) If people like Aconite make silly sorts of accusations -- I'm going to respond with silly posts.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Yes, well, then don't blame the rest of us for finding the whole thing silly. The pseudo Hermione email post struck me as very...inappropriate...for this particular arena. But that's just my own opinion. Maybe my funny bone isn't working today.

*Please note that I'm not taking any sides in the discussion at hand. I for one never thought Jnaxyc was necessarily a representative of the agencies mentioned and think that those particular accusations were just about as silly as the Hermione post(s), honestly.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Jnaxyc said:
But, I suspect that my welcome's been worn out given Dave's and Jame's posts.

James, Dave -- I'm sorry I seem to have upset you, and perhaps I'll post more on that count later.

You haven't upset me. I was honestly trying to give you an explanation because I felt you deserved one as to why you were meeting with resistance. If I felt you deserved otherwise, rest assured that I'm not at all shy about taking aim.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine that Jnaxyc has any connection to William Morris or Trident. They're important agencies. Jnaxyc just reeks of troll.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't ask for your identity, Jnaxyc. I asked if you would tell us what experience you had with contracts like the one under discussion, so we could evaluate how much weight to give your opinion, as we can do with Jaws'. You were asking us to treat you as an expert on the topic, so I thought that was a fair question. You took it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.