• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

TriadaUS Literary Agency

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I queried Uwe as a complete noob, I got a request within a week and an offer within 3 days. Of course, this was many years ago, and he's probably a lot busier now. My friend queried last year and got a request on the same day from Brent, so AFAIK they're one of the fastest responders in the industry.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I recently queried this agency (it's been three weeks).

On their website, it says they respond within two.

I don't know what the correct protocol is.

Should I re-send my query to the initial agent, re-send and say I'm sending it again because I didn't hear a response in two weeks, or email agent and ask if they did receive to make sure I didn't miss something?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

Should I re-send my query to the initial agent, re-send and say I'm sending it again because I didn't hear a response in two weeks, or email agent and ask if they did receive to make sure I didn't miss something?

I noticed their submission guidelines include these lines: "If you do not hear from us within two weeks, we did not receive your query. We also encourage you to check with us regularly via email about the progress of your submission." In other words, it sounds like they don't mind check-ins and follow-ups, so I'd resend your query and anything else the specific agent asked for with a brief note at the top about the situation (just in case the agent didn't miss your query and has been hanging on to it for some reason). In general, I think it's best to just resend the original material so you don't have to go to the trouble of sending multiple e-mails and the agent doesn't have to go to the trouble of saying, "Yes, send it again."

Good luck!

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm represented by Brent Taylor, an agent at Triada.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score

I would also check the specific agent's stats before following up - you can see response times on Query Tracker and have a look if there's anywhere else the agent updates (for example, Lauren Spieller updates where she is up to with queries on her website. Her current status update says she is up to date until 3 March: http://www.laurenspieller.com/literary-agent/).

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I would also check the specific agent's stats before following up - you can see response times on Query Tracker and have a look if there's anywhere else the agent updates (for example, Lauren Spieller updates where she is up to with queries on her website. Her current status update says she is up to date until 3 March: http://www.laurenspieller.com/literary-agent/).

Thanks.

I did look at QueryTracker and it made me even more confused. So that's fun.

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

I did look at QueryTracker and it made me even more confused. So that's fun.

After a brief chat on Twitter I queried Uwe Stender in late February and received a polite rejection within 24 hours. He often does #askagent events wherein he is happy to answer questions during designated times. If you are hesitant to resend without permission I would suggest catching one of those. Agents hate being pitched on Twitter outside of #events (pitmad, dvpit, etc.), but I've found the #askagent can be useful for querying specifics.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Posting here because I can't get notifications unless I post.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Sharing in case this has happened to others. I've queried Lauren Spieller twice (and a third time today) and each time I never got a response, but then her blog would say "I've responded to all queries sent before X date. If you haven't received a response, please resend." Since mine would fall in that category, I'd resend.

Feeling a little lost, I rechecked the guidelines to see if I was missing something. And yes, today I realized her query requirements on the Triadus page are a little different from the others, she requires that you have age category and genre in the subject line, as well as QUERY. This, I suppose, has been getting my queries ignored? I hope? Anyhow, in the interest of science, I resent it (again) with the correct title. Will update if that gets a response.

Reactions: Fiender

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Laura Crockett for MG fantasy 5/10.
Rejection 5/12.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No personal experience, but I know how to cross my fingers in behalf of another writer. Good luck!

Maryn, taking a writing break for five minutes

Reactions: Wizera

SunlightShadows

Registered
Reaction score
Website
parkergoodreau.com
Queried Brent Taylor with that same MG fantasy: 8/16/22
Full Request: Three hours later

Anyone have any kind of personal experience with him?
Oh, Brent was at the top of my list when I was querying! I received a critique from him back in 2017 as part of a charity drive, and he was lovely and helpful. I also queried him a few times, and he read the full YA fantasy of the partial he'd critiqued. He was always very nice, and he works with some of my favorite kidlit authors. Fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: Wizera

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Heard back from Brent with a polite rejection today.

LONobi

Registered
Reaction score
Brent rejects more than many agents I’ve encountered. I got a pass from him 15-20 minutes after I queried. Take heart :)

worriedshoes

Registered
Reaction score
A little late to the party, but Brent is great. He gives solid editorial feedback, is very responsive, and works with a lot of excellent kidlit authors. Rest of the agency I'm less familiar with... saw that Lauren recently left for another agency?

4writerslife

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Brent Taylor and in 4 minutes he rejected. There was no way he could've even read the query that fast. I can understand if they're not interested, but at least read the query before just rejecting. He claimed the book didn't fit his list. How could he have read a query and 10 pages in 4 minutes?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Brent Taylor and in 4 minutes he rejected. There was no way he could've even read the query that fast. I can understand if they're not interested, but at least read the query before just rejecting. He claimed the book didn't fit his list. How could he have read a query and 10 pages in 4 minutes?
Queries are short and don't take that long to read. He may not have read pages if the book wasn't suited for him. Pages are useful so that if the agent is considering it they have pages to look at to get an idea for writing quality. Not everyone will read the pages.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second kaitie--something about the query told him your book wasn't a good fit, so there was no need to read the pages.

It doesn't mean the book isn't good, of course.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go to Query Letter Hell and read a bunch of queries. You'll see how quickly you can go through them just to decide whether or not you would want to look at the first ten pages.

ETA: this particular agent looks like he is very, very picky about what he is wanting, so I reckon he or his minions can make snap decisions within seconds of opening a query letter.

Last edited:

4writerslife

Registered
Reaction score
I am never going to query Triada ever again. I've known authors repped there that had a very bad experience. They were rude, mean during their email exchanges. I don't trust an agency that rejects people that fast. I don't care how many books they've sold. Their arrogance and egos are way too much for me. I've worked at literary agencies in the past, too. I would much prefer a nicer person that at the very least reviews their emails carefully.

FYI: My author friend that was repped by them - they didn't get their book sold. She dropped them and went with a different agent that managed to sell her books. Nearly every email from them left her in tears because the agents were so mean. It is unacceptable behavior from them. I've known 2 traditionally published authors no longer with Triada that had AWFUL experiences.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am never going to query Triada ever again. I've known authors repped there that had a very bad experience. They were rude, mean during their email exchanges. I don't trust an agency that rejects people that fast. I don't care how many books they've sold. Their arrogance and egos are way too much for me. I've worked at literary agencies in the past, too. I would much prefer a nicer person that at the very least reviews their emails carefully.

FYI: My author friend that was repped by them - they didn't get their book sold. She dropped them and went with a different agent that managed to sell her books. Nearly every email from them left her in tears because the agents were so mean. It is unacceptable behavior from them. I've known 2 traditionally published authors no longer with Triada that had AWFUL experiences.
I'm sorry your friend and the other authors you knew all had bad experiences with Triada. They are up front about their fast response times, though, so I wouldn't think that would be a red flag.

Can I ask what led you to query them in the first place?