• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Betsy Amster Literary Enterprises

Novel Idea

Registered
Reaction score
I can't find a thing in any thread about her - has anyone worked with her? Queried her? I wanted to shoot a query because I read an interview where she seemed super nice, which is especially odd since she's in LA. (I'm joking, LA writers!)

Thanks for your insight. :)

rebobinar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysteryrobin.blogspot.com
She sent me a very nice personalized rejection. ;) I know that she is Barbara DeMarco Barrett's agent for her non-fiction book Pen on Fire. Barbara hosts a radio show that is also podcast called "Writers on Writing". I'm positive she's legit - but that's all the details I have. :)

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Betsy Amster

I queried her for a mystery series I'm shopping around because I read in PM she likes quirky, offbeat characters. She requested 50 pages from me and was kind enough to send them back with line edits and lots of comments! Long story short, she's interested but only after some major revisions.

Good luck! She's at the top of my wish list when it comes to agents.

EM

a_sharp

Somebody give me an A
Registered
Reaction score
Interview and picture of Betsy Amster here. Ten years as an editor, no wonder Elaine she edited your submission. Poor gal just can't help herself.

Novel Idea

Registered
Reaction score
Equeried, quick ask for emailed partial, five day rejection on my partial with a nice note. I had the feeling that only the ass't had seen my partial - which isn't too surprising. :) From her comments I got the feeling they are looking for commercial lit.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
I received a nice personalized rejection email from her yesterday.

David I

Registered
Reaction score
Equeried, quick ask for emailed partial, five day rejection on my partial with a nice note. I had the feeling that only the ass't had seen my partial - which isn't too surprising. :) From her comments I got the feeling they are looking for commercial lit.

I've met Betsy Amster a number of times, and also attended talks she has given. She's a good agent, but very picky.

I'm surprised you got the impression she's looking for commercial lit, as she is best known for agenting lit fic. In fact, she's fond of telling audiences, "If your book can be described as a page-turner, I'm probably not the right agent for it."

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes!

I read the article...makes me wonder what she sees in me. Oh well.

Elaine,
who's now convinced she's out of my league.

Novel Idea

Registered
Reaction score
David - I didn't mean that as any dis to Betsey Amster. I have a lot of respect for her. For one thing, the note was from her ass't, not her - as I said, I don't believe it ever got to her - and it contained suggestions for making the book more of a "thriller." That's why I got that impression. But it totally doesn't matter, I'm not trippin' on it. :) I'm just reporting back.

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
fast reply to e-query

Not sure that this helps, but I queried the agency on 11/2 got a quick polite reject on 11/5...

David I

Registered
Reaction score
David - I didn't mean that as any dis to Betsey Amster. I have a lot of respect for her. For one thing, the note was from her ass't, not her - as I said, I don't believe it ever got to her - and it contained suggestions for making the book more of a "thriller." That's why I got that impression. But it totally doesn't matter, I'm not trippin' on it. :) I'm just reporting back.

Sorry--I didn't think you were dissing her!

But it just surprised me that her agency would be pushing for something more commercial (especially a thriller!) Maybe things are changing with her; or maybe her assistant is starting her own list?

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
I read the article...makes me wonder what she sees in me. Oh well.

Elaine,
who's now convinced she's out of my league.

She isn't out of your league. She isn't right for your book.

You wouldn't expect a Japanese cook to make spaghetti for an Italian restaurant. Likewise, don't expect an agent who specializes in fantasy to handle true crime.

You know what my favorite agent listings are? The ones that say things like they're looking for "military thrillers/espionage, scifi, horror, dark fantasy, and literary fiction."
Huh? :Wha:

Isn't one of those things not like the others?

David I

Registered
Reaction score
She isn't out of your league. She isn't right for your book.

Indeed.

And an agent who isn't right for your book is worse than no agent at all. It might not seem like that when you are unagented, but it is all too true.

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
Hasn't been any action on this thread in some time...anyone have any new info on Betsey Amster? ~ hawk

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
Got a polite "Thanks" but "Alas, it isn't right for us." Poetic and quick - queried 4.6.09 and responded 4.8.09. ~ hawk

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
I queried her late last night, got a R tonight via email. No explanation, just a note saying it wasn't for them. At least she responded.

wallfull

author, psychologist, speaker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.EileenKennedyMoore.com
I'll be signing with Betsy Amster!

I just got off the phone with Betsy Amster. She'll be representing the parenting book (nonfiction) I'm co-authoring! She seems very nice, smart, sensible, and approachable. Her revision suggestions on the proposal were very helpful. The editors of my two previous books (one at a major publishing house, one at a small one) both speak very highly of her.

I'm so excited!

BENVIC

Registered
Reaction score
I think so

Hasn't been any action on this thread in some time...anyone have any new info on Betsey Amster? ~ hawk

I sent 6 pp. of my edgy YA to Betsy Amster -- got 2 emails when I was
on vacation (7-09) asking me to send 25 pp., etc. I did when I got
home. A week later, her agent, Mary Cummings asked for the rest of
the ms. Which I sent off yesterday. And hope she'll represent! : )
BENVIC

BENVIC

Registered
Reaction score
Betsy Amster Literary Agency

My young adult novel, SHELTER, was accepted by Mary Cummings who represents children's and YA's for the agency and has been sent to five or six publishers so far, one of which has expressed interest. Mary communicates well with me and I'm glad we hooked up. I'll be even "gladder" if she sells it! :) Meanwhile, I'm working on another book. Can't have all your eggs in one basket.
Back to work! My blog (related to book, which is set in a domestic violence shelter) is SHELTER KIDS--http://bit.ly/ruralwriter.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I'm not sure if I'm misreading your question, but Betsy Amster Literary Enterprises is an agency, not a publisher. They aren't going to publish the book themselves but try to find publishers who will buy the rights to your book from you.

But, as to your question, no, I haven't heard anything new.